Australia Australia - Hayley Dodd, 17, Badgingarra WA, 29 Jul 1999 *retrial Guilty, manslaughter*

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Hayley Dodd
hayley.jpg hayleywell2.jpg HayleyDodd2.jpg Hayleywell.jpg

Hayley Dodd - Missing since July 29, 1999 from Badgingarra, Western Australia
Description - Caucasoid female with long brown hair, 5'1", grayish eyes, 115 lbs.

On Thursday July 29, 1999, Hayley Dodd, aged 17 years, went missing from Badgingarra in Western Australia. Hayley was last seen in July 1999 walking along North West Road in Badgingarra. Hayley's last known contact was by telephone at 10:30 am on the 29th of July, 1999 when she was given a ride by a female. The last known sighting was by a driver at 11:35 am while on the road. She is still missing to this very day.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact
Crime Stoppers at 1-800-333-000 or Western Australia police.

A $250,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the conviction of those responsible for Hayley's disappearance.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2608dfwau.html
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...teen-hayley-dodd/story-e6frg6n6-1226769847476
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...for-january-2014/story-fnhocxo3-1226690234906

Thought I would update for hayley :) there have been significant new leads in the case and police are now using ground penetration equipment at a property not far from where hayley went missing. The previous owner is a convicted rapist who is currently serving jail time for the rape of a hitchhiker in Queensland Australia. I really hope they find her so here to family can bring her home. I know her mother :(

Police return to Badgingarra in search for missing Hayley Dodd

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...sing-hayley-dodd/story-fnhocxo3-1226907146539
Tuesday, 06 May 2014

147003-9d8fb7da-d4b3-11e3-b5be-ec06717bccf7.jpg

Margaret Dodd, Hayley’s mum, who has waited nearly 15 years for answers.

It was the fourth time the property in question was searched, but police were very clear that the current owner of the property was not connected to the investigation.
However, the ex-owner of the search property who lived and worked in the area, Francis John Wark, is currently serving a 12-year jail sentence in Queensland for rape of a female hitchhiker whom he had held captive in 2007.
The woman managed to get free of her rope binding and ran to a neighbouring house for help.

Wark sold the Badgingarra property shortly after the 17-year-old Hayley disappeared moving to a small town in the far north of Queensland.
Detectives from Perth travelled to Townsville to talk to the convicted rapist over the disappearance of the missing teenager.
http://www.centraladvocate.com.au/story/2261665/badgingarra-search-to-continue-for-missing-hayley-dodd/?fb_action_ids=10152408946079134&fb_action_types=og.likes

Rumor has it they packed up and left yesterday empty handed.

Said they might come back again if there was any need according to my "local source".

:scared: :scared:

Way it's going they will never solve this!

15 years and they have squat! :seeya: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Looks like I have to go do it myself then.:facepalm:

I think the fact that they are searching a rural property makes it more of a needle in a haystack type situation. In an urban setting you are dealing with a confined area, whereas in a rural setting it's not only the size of the property in question, but the fact that it would be so easy for a perp to access surrounding properties without necessarily being noticed.
The police involved seem determined to find answers, given the number of times they have returned to search that property - especially after so many years have passed.

It took them 3 years after I gave them the cadaver dog report in 2011 to even start the search and ONLY coz I lobbied the members of the state govt including the new Minister of Police. They have found any and all excuses for 15 years now!
I have REAL doubts plod will ever find her!
Yes its a needle in a haystack...
BUT - they haven't even found the haystack yet coz they continue to ignore one important witness sighting that Puts her last known position 12.6 kilometers further east towards Moora.... than where they are now looking.
Where they are looking, is where she STARTED her walk.
The property and reserve they are searching is across the road from intersection Winjardie road and North West Road.
She as dropped at that corner of Winjardie and North West Road opposite Smiler (formerly Wark's) farm by Ag dept Worker Mrs Johnston, at ~1020 a.m. on 29.7.1999.

Stribely the traveling chemical salesman, saw her just east of the Badgingarra road at 11.07am. (A distance of about 4 or 5 km's east from start point at Winjardie rd) towards the intersection of Wathingarra road.

That's the "official" last reported sighting... according to plod & media these last 15 years.

However,

My forensic timeline and walk reconstruction showed that she SHOULD have walked past the corner of Wathingarra road at 11.58 am.

There was a Telstra tech, working at the corner of Wathingarra road on that morning in a below ground communications pit. He says he didn't stop for lunch till about 1205 and sat on tailboard of his ute to eat lunch and didn't see Hayley walk past.

Well if she was due to walk past at 11.58, a full 7 minutes before hand - while he had his head below ground level soldering wires.. likely he wouldn't have seen her.

Also a motor bike rider traveled that road - after Stribley, and he didn't see her!.

Thus its been assumed (incorrectly) that she disappeared within that 20 minute window (1.5km stretch) between Badgingarra road and Wathingarra road!

However,

Totally ignored for the last 15 years is this:-

At 1.20 PM - ~12.6 km's further east than Wathingarra road - at or near the corner of Mungedar road, 2 Telstra technicians "Smith and Bennet" who were doing similar comms pit work to that of the technician working alone at corner of Wathingara road were traveling east along North West Road, towards Corner of Coalara road, for their next job.

Driver SMITH, said he saw a young girl matching Hayley's attire & stature walking east along the left hand side of the road. He commented to his passenger Bennet at the time 'words to the effect' that "it was unusual to see such a young girl walking alone so far from the nearest town"...

Passenger Bennet had his head in the work manual checking details for the next job at Coalara road so didn't look up from his manual in time to see Hayley, as the driver Smith did - when he made the remark!

As a result some police person in the original investigation - made a decision to ignore the reported sighting by Smith (because it couldn't be visually confirmed by the passenger Bennet) ~ 12.6km's further east along North West Road near the corner of Mungedar road, at 1.20 pm - almost 3 hours AFTER she commenced her walk at Winjardie road corner at 10.20 am - where WAPOL have been concentrating their search on Wark's Old Property and the reserve behind, and just 47 minutes later (11.07) when Stribley saw her just east of Badgingarra road/North West Road intersection.

This is the Haystack problem WAPOL are having.

Hayley managed to walk at least 2 hours and 15 minutes...(At approx 5.6km/hour) or 12.6 km's PAST where Plod thinks she was last seen.

Her destination was at the 22.5 km mark on that North East Road and she commenced her walk at Winjardie road corner intersection when Mrs Johnston dropped her off which is some 4kms into the 22.5 km walk.

So her total distance, needed to walk was 18.5 km's.

I believe she made it to within 1.5 km;s of the gate to the farm at the 22.5 km mark based on Smiths sighting thats been ignored all these years.

So a total of just 17 kms to actually walk - between 10.20 am and 13.20 pm or 3 hours.

That's a walk rate of about 5.66 Km's hour!.

The AVERAGE person (adult) walks at about 4 miles an hour... (6.4 km//hour), BUT- Hayley was short (5ft 2 or 3inches ) so had a shorter stride than an adult ALSO there are long slow incline hills - that would slow her down a little.

I got my then 20 year old daughter who's Hayley's height (5ft 2inches) to actually walk this section of road from Winjardie road starting at 10.20 am.

Her average rate of travel? ~ 5.66 km's per hour!

She went past Wathingarra road at 11.58am - 7 minutes before the telstra tech working there would have stopped for lunch.

She was near the corner Mungedar road at approx 1.20 PM!

I KNOW from constructing a forensic timeline and reconstructing Hayley's walk with someone of her height and stride length - that the sighting by Telstra Techs Smith (and not his passenger Bennet) at ~ 1.20 PM just near the corner of Mungedar road is reliable and should be considered factual.

This places the Hay Stack - where WAPOL SHOULD be searching, way further east by 2 & 1/4 hours (almost ~12.6 kms) further EAST than where they are now looking.

It also places her last known position within about 500 meters of the GPS co-ordinates I gave in the post above for her remains - based on my code and Gemmatria numerical analysis work.

Facts are that crime stats the world over show - most killers don't travel more than a mile on average in a vehicle to dump their victims remains.

Everything "fits", time and distance wise, as to where she most likely is located IMHO...

The fact after 15 years of investigation WAPOL can't get this right really worry's me.

Other that take metal detector, ground penetrating radar and a cadaver dog up there my self and try to find her what more can I physically do?

It took them 3 years after I gave them the cadaver dog report in 2011 to even start the search and ONLY coz I lobbied the members of the state govt including the new Minister of Police. They have found any and all excuses for 15 years now!
I have REAL doubts plod will ever find her!
Yes its a needle in a haystack...
BUT - they haven't even found the haystack yet coz they continue to ignore one important witness sighting that Puts her last known position 12.6 kilometers further east towards Moora.... than where they are now looking.
Where they are looking, is where she STARTED her walk.
The property and reserve they are searching is across the road from intersection Winjardie road and North West Road.
She as dropped at that corner of Winjardie and North West Road opposite Smiler (formerly Wark's) farm by Ag dept Worker Mrs Johnston, at ~1020 a.m. on 29.7.1999.

Stribely the traveling chemical salesman, saw her just east of the Badgingarra road at 11.07am. (A distance of about 4 or 5 km's east from start point at Winjardie rd) towards the intersection of Wathingarra road.

That's the "official" last reported sighting... according to plod & media these last 15 years.

However,

My forensic timeline and walk reconstruction showed that she SHOULD have walked past the corner of Wathingarra road at 11.58 am.

There was a Telstra tech, working at the corner of Wathingarra road on that morning in a below ground communications pit. He says he didn't stop for lunch till about 1205 and sat on tailboard of his ute to eat lunch and didn't see Hayley walk past.

Well if she was due to walk past at 11.58, a full 7 minutes before hand - while he had his head below ground level soldering wires.. likely he wouldn't have seen her.

Also a motor bike rider traveled that road - after Stribley, and he didn't see her!.

Thus its been assumed (incorrectly) that she disappeared within that 20 minute window (1.5km stretch) between Badgingarra road and Wathingarra road!

However,

Totally ignored for the last 15 years is this:-

At 1.20 PM - ~12.6 km's further east than Wathingarra road - at or near the corner of Mungedar road, 2 Telstra technicians "Smith and Bennet" who were doing similar comms pit work to that of the technician working alone at corner of Wathingara road were traveling east along North West Road, towards Corner of Coalara road, for their next job.

Driver SMITH, said he saw a young girl matching Hayley's attire & stature walking east along the left hand side of the road. He commented to his passenger Bennet at the time 'words to the effect' that "it was unusual to see such a young girl walking alone so far from the nearest town"...

Passenger Bennet had his head in the work manual checking details for the next job at Coalara road so didn't look up from his manual in time to see Hayley, as the driver Smith did - when he made the remark!

As a result some police person in the original investigation - made a decision to ignore the reported sighting by Smith (because it couldn't be visually confirmed by the passenger Bennet) ~ 12.6km's further east along North West Road near the corner of Mungedar road, at 1.20 pm - almost 3 hours AFTER she commenced her walk at Winjardie road corner at 10.20 am - where WAPOL have been concentrating their search on Wark's Old Property and the reserve behind, and just 47 minutes later (11.07) when Stribley saw her just east of Badgingarra road/North West Road intersection.

This is the Haystack problem WAPOL are having.

Hayley managed to walk at least 2 hours and 15 minutes...(At approx 5.6km/hour) or 12.6 km's PAST where Plod thinks she was last seen.

Her destination was at the 22.5 km mark on that North East Road and she commenced her walk at Winjardie road corner intersection when Mrs Johnston dropped her off which is some 4kms into the 22.5 km walk.

So her total distance, needed to walk was 18.5 km's.

I believe she made it to within 1.5 km;s of the gate to the farm at the 22.5 km mark based on Smiths sighting thats been ignored all these years.

So a total of just 17 kms to actually walk - between 10.20 am and 13.20 pm or 3 hours.

That's a walk rate of about 5.66 Km's hour!.

The AVERAGE person (adult) walks at about 4 miles an hour... (6.4 km//hour), BUT- Hayley was short (5ft 2 or 3inches ) so had a shorter stride than an adult ALSO there are long slow incline hills - that would slow her down a little.

I got my then 20 year old daughter who's Hayley's height (5ft 2inches) to actually walk this section of road from Winjardie road starting at 10.20 am.

Her average rate of travel? ~ 5.66 km's per hour!

She went past Wathingarra road at 11.58am - 7 minutes before the telstra tech working there would have stopped for lunch.

She was near the corner Mungedar road at approx 1.20 PM!

I KNOW from constructing a forensic timeline and reconstructing Hayley's walk with someone of her height and stride length - that the sighting by Telstra Techs Smith (and not his passenger Bennet) at ~ 1.20 PM just near the corner of Mungedar road is reliable and should be considered factual.

This places the Hay Stack - where WAPOL SHOULD be searching, way further east by 2 & 1/4 hours (almost ~12.6 kms) further EAST than where they are now looking.

It also places her last known position within about 500 meters of the GPS co-ordinates I gave in the post above for her remains - based on my code and Gemmatria numerical analysis work.

Facts are that crime stats the world over show - most killers don't travel more than a mile on average in a vehicle to dump their victims remains.

Everything "fits", time and distance wise, as to where she most likely is located IMHO...

The fact after 15 years of investigation WAPOL can't get this right really worry's me.

Other that take metal detector, ground penetrating radar and a cadaver dog up there my self and try to find her what more can I physically do?

I understand that you are more informed about this case than I am, probably because you're local! Myself being from Croatia, everything I know from this case is on the internet, so I might be wrong on this one. But, everywhere I go, everywhere I look, everyone says that she was dropped off by lady Margaret Johnson at approximately 11 a.m. on the corner of Winjardie/North West Road. So she commenced her walk 40 minutes later. Now, that means that she reached Watthingara/North West Road corner in 35 minutes on foot, which is almost immpossible, because I saw it on Google Maps. By your calculation, it will be reasonable to assume that she arrived there at approximately 12:38 a.m. If she really arrived there at 11:35 a.m., somebody had to pick her up, but she wasn't hitchhiking, that's a delusion, she was walking on the left side of the road towards the farm, she didn't hold thumb in the air! Margaret Johnson picked her up because she felt sorry for her and offered her a lift which Hayley accepted.

I hope that we can make a healthy discussion on this matter, because I'm very interested in this case. Also, I would like to now, why did police tentatively anounced inquest for the January of this year, they weren't happy with it? I have a feeling that they searhed Wark's property just for the sake of it, so that they can legally delay inquest! Search commenced less than two months before inquest should be held. I'm not saying that he's not involved because he most surely is, but that could have been done much earlier. Just have that awful feeling that someone knows something and wants to hide it from the public.

And I would be really thankful, if you can share a detailed timeline of that day when Hayley dissapeared, because police said that there are many witnesses from where she commenced her walk and the Badgingarra rubbish tip, which is not so far away. And what about occupants of shiny blue/green sedan or army style truck which where seen on that day, on that same road by motorist? Were they ever found or interviewed?

Thanks in advance :peace:

After reviewing all the available information, I will share with you facts that are bothering me? :waitasec:

The last official sighting is that of traveling salesman around 11:35 a.m. who saw Hayley kneeling on the side of the road, rummaging through her backpack, at Watthingara/North West Road corner. Well, that sounds fine.

But, before that she was dropped off at Winjardie/North West Road corner by a lady Margaret Johnson around 11:00 a.m. Now, we are facing one problem. How did she manage to end up at Watthingara corner 35 minutes later, on foot? It is impossible. She either was running, which is highly unlikely or she was picked up by someone who never contacted the police, or the witnesses just got it all wrong. I would also like to point out that Hayley wasn't in a hurry, she said to Margaret Johnson that she came too early to Badgingarra and that she's afraid that nobody will be at farm when she arrives. Also she wasn't hitchiking, although the media tries to portray it that way.

Then we have another, I would say crucial but unconfirmed sighting of Hayley further down the road, at or near Mungedar/North West Road corner around 1:20 p.m. Two Telstra workers are rushing to work in the same direction as Hayley, driver sees her and makes comment about her "it was unusual to see such a young girl walking alone so far from the nearest town". This is huge, because that means that Hayley was on or near North West Road for another hour and 45 minutes, almost two hours after last official sighting and just a 1.5 kilometres away from family's friend farm where she was going!!! :thinking:

Why did police discount and ignore this piece of information?
Well, I have found only two unstable arguments why is that the case.

First, women has allegedly reported to police that she was driving a motorbike that day around 11:55 a.m. and that she didn't see Hayley. Police obviously believes that she was snatched from the road in those 20 minutes since last official sighting.
Secondly, passenger driver in that Telstra car wasn't able to confirm sighting of his colleague, that's probably why police decided to dismiss it!
And I have to admit that it is hard to fathom that nobody saw Hayley on that Road between last official sighting and Telstra workers, but it's possible, it is a rural area!

That lady also reported that she saw shiny blue/green sedan just after 12:00 on that day, army style furniture truck and she had spoken with 4 or 5 youths on property adjacent to road asking for directions. Occupants of those vehicles and youths were never interviewed by police.
And strangely there was a man who reported two young males acting suspiciously on the side of the road beside their four-wheel drive just hours after she was last seen. "They seemed out of place and very suspicious". They were never identified.

Hopefully, someone on this forum can shed light on some things!

Before I move on with my thoughts about police on this case, I want to add some additional informations to my previous post. Distance between Winjardie/North West Road and Watthingara corner is more than 8 km, just measured it!!! Average walking speed is about 5km/h. She wouldn't be able to reach Watthingara corner that fast, around 11:35 a.m. (8km in 35 minutes?!!!). I think that witness got it all wrong, it is quite possible that he saw her one hour later - at 12:35 not 11:35. And as Ian Moone already said, Telstra worker's testimony is much more believable because if you start walking at 11 a.m. near Winjardie corner you will end up at Mungedar corner around 1:20 p.m. But, I still believe that traveling salesman saw her, because he obviously remembers how she was kneeling on the side of the road, but he saw her one hour later.

This is my honest opinion about police handling this case:
- I think Hayley vanished at the wrong time, if that can ever be said!
Why? Because police was focused on Claremont serial killings, they had budget restraints, they wanted to solve that very badly and they've ignored many other cases.
Who cares about some girl in rural area, she's coming from poor working class family and she probably vanished for her own good.
Hayley's case is not the only one. Just look at Lisa Brown, Lisa Govan case and even Sarah McMahon afterwards!
But they didn't count on Margaret Dodd, and her persiverence, her willingness to find her baby and bring her home where she belongs.
Plus, Francis John Wark was there, in front of their noses, he had house on that same road where she disappeared. For me, that fact alone says alot about how motivated they were to solve this case.
Now, 15 years later, they are doing their best. Still, they tentatively announced inquest and than delayed it. They have to admit mistake, not to themselves, because they probably know it already but to Hayley's family, just like they did in Jessica Small case!

Conclusion:
Inquest needs to be held as soon as possible! All possible witnesses should be brought to give their testimony, informations gathered should be availabe for us, community, so we can paint a better picture about what had happened that day. Someone will remember something and community will be more aware.
Also, they need to admit that the investigation was "somewhat lacking".
And at last, they need to raise reward to about 1$ dollars! I't a life changing sum of money and maybe, just maybe, someone will come forward and tell us where Hayley is!

I would also be very thankful if someone is interested in healthy discussion about this case. Someone has to be! :thinking:

Thank you, Kraki, for you very thoughtful posts on Hayley's case. And for those calculations on walking times/distance, which I would no doubt get wrong if I tried, ha.

I intend to do some catch-up reading on the case, but hope to have something marginally sensible to post soon.

With what I have read about Frank Wark, he does seem like a very good suspect, however. His MO matches Hayley's roadside disappearance, and he lived nearby. I would hope his property was combed for the DNA of these missing women.. if none at all were found, it would be worth looking at other properties he might be linked with, or abandoned buildings in the area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back