IL IL - Dyke, 27, & Karen Rhoads, 25, Paris, 6 July 1986

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
mysteriew said:
Two men were convicted of the murders. But an investigator was pulled off the case because his investigation began to point to a politically connected businessman and it became a political issue. U.S. District Court has now awarded the investigator nearly $700,000 in damages, due to his free speech being violated.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0505010313may01,1,872378.story?coll=chi-news-hed

I'm just speculating here and really don't know much about any of this at all...but it seems kind of ironic that the man who the investigator believes killed these newlyweds (instead of the 2 men convicted of the crime) made campaign contributions to Ill. Governor George Ryan. The investigator alleges that these contributions led to him being discouraged from pursuing his investigation. Gov. George Ryan commuted the death sentences of all convicts on death row in Illinois in 2003. Wonder if he commuted the death sentences because he knew innocent parties were on death row because of contributions made to his campaign?

I just watched this case on 48 hours mystery, and im so glad that both men have been released from prison finally. I feel so bad for them.

From July 2015:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/us/death-row-stories-randy-steidl/

In 2000, 13 years after Steidl's sentencing, Michale Callahan was promoted to commander of investigations within the Illinois State Police. "We were always told that no one was above the law and that we would always do the right thing," Callahan told CNN. "I believed that until 2000. Then I was handed the Rhoads case to review."

The prime-time show "48 Hours" was about to do a special on the case, and Callahan's command was a bit antsy.

"I had not even turned the first page when I got a phone call," Callahan said. It was from a local police official who, according to Callahan, had concerns about his reputation and feared being labeled "a dirty cop."

Here's that 48 Hours episode, from 2005:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/who-murdered-the-newlyweds/

"Dyke and Karen were sleeping in bed. The people came in. They attacked Dyke first, stabbing him in the back. Karen had time to wake up and maybe grab her glasses off her night stand, and then she was stabbed herself, mostly in the chest," explains Greg Jonsson.

Blood everywhere, but on the suspects.

"This young couple was tragically stabbed over 50 times. These men would've been covered in blood. There would've been blood in their automobiles, there would have been blood on their clothes. There would have been hair, fiber, something that linked them to the crime scene. Nothing did," says Protess...

"Karen had told several family members and friends that she had seen something at work that had scared her," says Kirsten Searer.

Karen may have seen something in the parking lot of the pet food plant where she worked, an incident involving other people from the factory. "She had seen large amounts of money and a gun put in a trunk that was on its way to Chicago," says Kristen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back