Inmates accessing the Internet from behind bars

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Still getting to know this place and i'm not sure which forum is the apt place for this, but maybe the moderators can re-direct (and tell me!) it to it's rightful home?

Interesting.

i sincerely suspect this is what one supporter on the CTV Hacking Forum has been doing!

and it's something to keep a vigilant eye out for in the future for all cases, i believe -- particularly on websites devoted to discussing cases such as this one.

State and federal prisons don't let inmates use Internet computers behind bars — and the Allegheny County Jail doesn't either. Yet Maydak has answered a reporter's e-mails from the Pittsburgh jail, and later an Ohio lockup, while he awaits sentencing for violating probation on a 900-number phone scam that cost AT&T $550,000 dollars.

Thousands of other inmates access the Internet indirectly using inmate telephone and mail privileges and a network of family, friends or activists. Once on the Web, they enlist celebrities like Susan Sarandon to plead their case, pillory the prosecutors who imprisoned them, or simply find pen pals.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,155164,00.html

Interesting article I like the part about web cameras ....

And in Arizona, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio — not his inmates — is fighting for the right to use the Internet to show the public live video from inside his lockups. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that Arpaio's use of cameras and the Internet to webcast video of prisoners being booked was unduly humiliating. Arpaio is appealing to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Further down in the article it describes some of these "advocates" for prisoners.......they sound like "groupies" to me!!

One was a Judge(!) who met her husband WHILE he was incarcerated for murder during a tour of the prison!!!(He ,interestly enough,had his sentence for murder"commuted"!!!!!!)

IMO,prisoners should be thankful they have Food as if I had my way they'd be chained to a wall in the dark getting bread and water let alone worrying about the "internet"!!!!

messiecake said:
Further down in the article it describes some of these "advocates" for prisoners.......they sound like "groupies" to me!!

One was a Judge(!) who met her husband WHILE he was incarcerated for murder during a tour of the prison!!!(He ,interestly enough,had his sentence for murder"commuted"!!!!!!)

IMO,prisoners should be thankful they have Food as if I had my way they'd be chained to a wall in the dark getting bread and water let alone worrying about the "internet"!!!!

I agree Mess, I know lots of families who can't afford a computer and internet access. Why should prisoners have such a luxury!!!

Right on GM!!
I just read an article that said over half this country doesnt own a computer or have regular internet access! OVER HALF!!!! :eek:

Prisoners get FREE medical care,they get FREE college educations which is wayyyy more than any law abiding citizens can expect and theyre boo-hooing about no computers??? :banghead:

Shame on those "advocates"!! How do they sleep at night??

golfmom said:
Interesting article I like the part about web cameras ....

And in Arizona, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio — not his inmates — is fighting for the right to use the Internet to show the public live video from inside his lockups. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that Arpaio's use of cameras and the Internet to webcast video of prisoners being booked was unduly humiliating. Arpaio is appealing to the U.S. Supreme Court.
................awwwwwwwwwwwww....maybe the prisoners should have thought of their humiliation BEFORE becoming prisoners ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back