Deceased/Not Found VA - Eric Smith, 42, Cedar Bluff, 8 Nov 2013

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Eric G. Smith
52a736f56f22d.preview-300.jpg
23997978_BG1.jpg

Eric G. Smith, 42 and of Cedar Bluff, Virginia was last seen in the early morning hours of November 8, 2013. He left his house to go hunting on his private property, and has never been heard from or seen again.

His family reported him as a missing person when he failed to return home and they are offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to his location and or recovery. His family says that he's not the type to leave without contacting anyone for extended periods of time.

Smith is described as a while male, 6', weighing in at 210 lbs. with brown hair and brown eyes.

Anyone with information should call the Cedar Bluff Police Department at 276-963-3975; Virginia State Police at 276-228-3131 or toll free at 1-800-542-8716.

http://www.tricities.com/news/article_ca405dc8-61b0-11e3-8886-0019bb30f31a.html

Wonder if he took his cell phone? He's been missing a while...I'm assuming they've done an extensive search of the property.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was just reading about this case in my local MSM. Not a whole lot new (I think the reward has put it into the news again, but I don't remember seeing it when he first went missing)

I'm not able to link now easily (moody IPAD) but there are quite a few articles if you google him. Said he was sort of sick w/ pneumonia type symptoms when he went hunting. You'd think if he was ill, he'd have been found. Again, sorry for no link (someone help me out) but I read they've searched 800 acres.

Very odd.

Wow....800 acres is quite a large area! I am wondering why he would go hunting if he was sick with pneumonia symptoms.

I will say that my husband's uncle when out behind his house on his land to hunt one morning. He was feeling well and hadn't been sick or anything. His wife told him she would walk out and bring him lunch at around 11:00. When she went to the tree where they were to meet, he was slumped there...apparently had been dead of a heart attack for a few hours. It was such a shock and very sad. So these things do happen. But I also think Eric would have been found if something like this did happen to him....

No updates. I have to believe that LE has interviewed others that may have hunted with him in the past or have talked with him about hunting to locate any of the areas where he usually hunts. Granted, if he scouted the areas prior to the season, he may not hunt the same spots as last year or the year before. But he still may talked to someone.

http://www.wvnstv.com/story/23997978/police-eric-smith-still-listed-as-missing

POLICE: Eric Smith still listed as missing
Posted: Nov 18, 2013 10:04 AM EST Updated: Dec 02, 2013 10:04 AM EST

Eric Smith is still officially reported missing according to Cedar Bluff Police.Eric Smith is still officially reported missing according to Cedar Bluff Police.

A man who was reported missing in Tazewell County after leaving for a hunting trip is still listed as missing.

Eric Smith, 41, went hunting on Friday, Nov. 8 but never returned. Police and more than 100 volunteers spent a week searching for the missing hunter.

Cedar Bluff Police Chief, David Mills, tells 59News that there have been many rumors in the community about what happened to Smith. According to Chief Mills Smith is still officially listed as missing. Mills also said every lead and tip that has been brought to the police department is being investigated.

BBM...I find this very interesting. Maybe this is why the reward has been increased.

http://www.wvnstv.com/story/23925148/search-continues-for-missing-man-in-tazewell-county

UPDATE: Search continues for missing man in Tazewell County
Posted: Nov 09, 2013 5:08 PM EST Updated: Nov 23, 2013 5:08 PM EST

By Marques White, Anchor - bio | email

UPDATE:

It is day 4 of an intense search to find a missing Tazewell County Man. Avid hunter Eric Smith went into the woods surrounding his Cedar Bluff home on Friday morning and he still hasn't returned. 59News Reporter Lauren Hensley shows us what hundreds of volunteers are doing in hopes of bringing this man back home.

It's a race against the clock when a person goes missing and for family and friends of Eric Smith, that race started on Friday morning. According to officials Smith went into the woods early Friday morning to hunt. His wife began to worry when this veteran hunter did not return before dark and what caused even more concern, was Smith wasn't feeling well when he left the house.

"He had not been feeling well, he had flu symptoms of pneumonia symptoms s for a few days so we got concerned he would be in the woods still," Cedar Bluff Police Chief David Mils said.

Several of Smith's coworkers are volunteering to help with the search and they are trained professionals. Smith worked as a part of a mine rescue squad and the rescue squad is coming together to find one of their own.

"We work together and we are just like family and of course all of our mine rescue teams of course we are trained this rescue and recovery and we would do it for anyone but Eric is one of us. He is one of our family," Danny Quesenberry, coworker of Smith said.

More than 100 hundred volunteers are searching these woods looking for missing Eric Smith and they tell me the terrain is treacherous.

"It is usually pretty steep and a lot of fallen down trees, so it makes it hard to search," Mills said.

If you any information that may be able to help find Smith, please contact the Cedar Bluff Police Department at or 911.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tazewell County Sheriff's Department reports that 41-year-old Eric Smith was last seen leaving his house on foot to go hunting in the woods that surround his home in Cedar Bluff.

Deputies say he was last seen around 10 a.m. Friday. His family and friends are worried about him.

Please call 911, if believe you have seen Smith.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/rew...nty/-/20128466/23410384/-/mb0l1x/-/index.html

TAZEWELL CO., Va. -
The award for a missing Tazewell County man has been doubled.

On Monday, Virginia State Police announced that Eric Smith's family raised $8,000 for any information about his whereabouts.

Smith was last seen Nov. 8.

Smith's employer, CONSOL Energy, announced that it would match the family's reward, for a total of $16,000.

=====================

Original story from Dec. 30, 2013

The reward for a missing Tazewell County hunter has been increased to $8,000.

Eric Smith was last seen Nov. 8 when he went hunting on property along West Hurt Buggy Road in Cedar Bluff.

Smith's family is looking for any information about his whereabouts.

“As one can only imagine, Christmas was a sad and difficult time for the Smith family as they continue to worry about their loved one,” Cedar Bluff Police Chief David Mills wrote in a news release. “His absence during the holidays only heightens the family’s concern about Eric’s safety and whereabouts, as he would not be one to miss out on celebrating Christmas with them. That is why the family has worked so diligently to increase the reward and hopefully entice someone to come forward with a tip as to where he might be.”

======================

Original story from Dec. 10, 2013

A reward is being offered for information about a missing man in Tazewell County.

Eric Smith was last seen Nov. 8 when he went hunting on his property along West Hurt Buggy Road in Cedar Bluff. Smith turned 42 last week.

His family is offering a $5,000 reward for any information that leads to Smith’s location and/or recovery.

Smith is a long-time employee of Consol Coal Company.

“Based on numerous interviews with family, friends and coworkers, it is extremely out of character for Eric to just up and disappear,” Cedar Bluff Police Chief David Mills wrote in a news release. “We are still hopeful that we will find him safe and encourage anyone with information about Eric to contact us or state police.”

More than 800 acres have been searched.

Anyone with information about Smith or his whereabouts is asked to call the Cedar Bluff Police Department at 276-963-3975, or Virginia State Police at 1-800-542-8716.

Copyright © 2013, WDBJ7

http://www.tazewellcountyonline.com/reward-offered-for-information.html

Article states “with Smith wearing high tech camo the search becomes much more difficult”.

“He can be lying down and he would be impossible to see,”

“The terrain is also a big problem in the search. With thick underbrush and steep hills it is necessary to cover an area multiple times in order to be thorough”

http://www.tazewellcountyonline.com/reward-offered-for-information.html

Cedar Bluff Police Chief David Mills said “Smith carried a muzzleloader with him, with one shot likely already loaded so search coordinators brought explosive detection dogs into the search yesterday from the Virginia State Police and Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. These dogs are trained to detect material that goes into explosive devices with includes gun powder.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back