Actress Joan Fontaine dead at age 96

Rest in Peace Joan.

The only movie I remember seeing her in first run at the theater was Island in the Sun in 1957.

I was just reading up on her today as one of the last living stars from the first half of the 20th Century.:(

Joan Fontaine's sister is Olivia de Havilland ("Gone with the Wind").

The two sisters were estranged for many decades.

Loved "Rebecca", but also enjoyable was Fontaine as "Jane Eyre". (And, interestingly "Jane Eyre" featured a very young Elizabeth Taylor).

Loved "Rebecca", but also enjoyable was Fontaine as "Jane Eyre". (And, interestingly "Jane Eyre" featured a very young Elizabeth Taylor).

:beats:RIP Joan :beats:

I think those are the only two I've seen, she was very talented. Loved those movies, and the books they were based on too.

I had that she was related to Olivia D. I didn't know they were estranged, it's so sad when that kind of thing happens. Olivia was a marvelous actress too.

Joan Fontaine, Oscar-winner for 'Suspicion,' dies

BOB THOMAS, AP
10 hours ago

CARMEL, Calif. (AP) — Academy Award-winning actress Joan Fontaine, who found stardom playing naive wives in Alfred Hitchcock's "Suspicion" and "Rebecca" and also was featured in films by Billy Wilder, Fritz Lang and Nicholas Ray, died Sunday. She was 96.

Fontaine, the sister of fellow Oscar winner Olivia de Havilland, died in her sleep in her Carmel, Calif., home Sunday morning, said longtime friend Noel Beutel. Fontaine had been fading in recent days and died "peacefully," Beutel said.

In her later years, Fontaine had lived quietly at her Villa Fontana estate about 5 miles south of Carmel, enjoying its spectacular view of wind-swept Point Lobos.

Fontaine's pale, soft features and frightened stare made her ideal for melodrama and she was a major star for much of the 1940s. For Hitchcock, she was a prototype of the uneasy blondes played by Kim Novak in "Vertigo" and Tippi Hedren in "The Birds" and "Marnie." The director would later say he was most impressed by Fontaine's restraint. She would credit George Cukor, who directed her in "The Women," for urging her to "think and feel and the rest will take care of itself." ...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-entertainment/20131216/US--Obit-Joan.Fontaine/

My favorite sci fi flick,Journey To The Bottom of The Sea", Classic! I just watched this on sunday.

Jane Eyre and Rebecca are my Fontaine favorites, too. Peggy Ann Garner appears as young Jane Eyre in the film. She's brilliant in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Joan was fantastic in Rebecca ... she was perfect as the 'second Mrs. Max de Winter'

:rose: RIP ... :rose:

Jane Eyre and Rebecca are my Fontaine favorites, too. Peggy Ann Garner appears as young Jane Eyre in the film. She's brilliant in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn... great book and great movie! I don't know how many times I've seen it but I know I could watch it a million more :) I didn't realize that was Peggy Ann Gardner as the "young" Jane Eyre! Hmmmm... I feel a nostalgic afternoon of watching b&w classics is in my immediate future.

Joan Fontaine Dies, Olivia de Havilland "Shocked and Saddened" by Sister's Death After Decades-Long Feud

Natalie Finn, eonline
7 hours ago

It appears that it took Joan Fontaine 's death at 96 to end the decades-long feud—one of Hollywood's most famous proverbial cold wars—between her and sister Olivia de Havilland.

Then again, who says the feud is over? Maybe this actually means the feud will never end.

But Fontaine's passing on Sunday has brought the first comment in years about her from de Havilland, 97, who said in a statement from her longtime home in Paris that she was "shocked and saddened" by her sister's death and grateful for the many "kind expressions of sympathies." ...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20131217/b491543/

TCM tribute to Joan Fontaine Sunday, December 29.

6:30 AM Blond Cheat (1938)

A millionaire backs his daughter's stage career to keep her from marrying the wrong man.

7:45 AM Women, The (1939)

A happily married woman lets her catty friends talk her into divorce when her husband strays.

10:15 AM Born To Be Bad (1950)

An ambitious girl steals a rich husband but keeps her lover on the side.

12:00 PM Ivanhoe (1952)

Sir Walter Scott's classic tale of the noble knight torn between his fair lady and a beautiful Jew.

2:00 PM Constant Nymph, The (1943)

A composer finds inspiration in his wife's romantic cousin.

4:00 PM Suspicion (1941)

A wealthy wallflower suspects her penniless playboy husband of murder.

5:45 PM Rebecca (1940)

A young bride is terrorized by the memories of her husband's glamorous first wife.

Wow I just watched' the witches' 1966 and was wondering if she was still alive

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back