Did Anyone apologize to JMB?

LordYAM

Former Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing that during Paradise Lost 2, many supporters hounded Mark Byers and accused him of murdering his child. To quote one NY times review of paradise lost "Echols’s supporters went beyond arguing his innocence; they accused John Mark Byers of the murders. Paradise Lost 2 endorses this view, relying on ponderous innuendo to incriminate him—the same tactic used by investigators to cast doubt on Echols. In one particularly ugly scene, Kathy Bakken, one of the leading WM3 advocates, having traveled from Los Angeles to attend an appeal, badgers Byers about the death of his stepson. “Do you think that I had something to do with murdering my son?” asks Byers, in horror. “I don’t know if you had anything to do with it,” says Bakken, strident and haughty. “I want to know that you didn’t.”""

After Hobbs was implicated, did any of the advocates actually apologize to Byers? I mean, I get they thought they were innocent, but it was still a pretty dick move. For the record, I don't want any statements on whether the WM3 are guilty or not. Just a yes or no answer.

I remember hearing that during Paradise Lost 2, many supporters hounded Mark Byers and accused him of murdering his child. To quote one NY times review of paradise lost "Echols’s supporters went beyond arguing his innocence; they accused John Mark Byers of the murders. Paradise Lost 2 endorses this view, relying on ponderous innuendo to incriminate him—the same tactic used by investigators to cast doubt on Echols. In one particularly ugly scene, Kathy Bakken, one of the leading WM3 advocates, having traveled from Los Angeles to attend an appeal, badgers Byers about the death of his stepson. “Do you think that I had something to do with murdering my son?” asks Byers, in horror. “I don’t know if you had anything to do with it,” says Bakken, strident and haughty. “I want to know that you didn’t.”""

After Hobbs was implicated, did any of the advocates actually apologize to Byers? I mean, I get they thought they were innocent, but it was still a pretty dick move. For the record, I don't want any statements on whether the WM3 are guilty or not. Just a yes or no answer.
I don't have the answer to that, but this picture tells me it doesn't really matter to him now.

Attachments

• Echols and Byers.jpg
    Echols and Byers.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 46
Damien Echols apologised to him in a letter sent from Death Row. Byers read it out loud in PL3.

I don't know about anybody else.

That is a great question. I seriously doubt any of them did.

and of course it matters. He was put through the ringer and accused of killing his own son.

I recall seeing a video of Byers and Mara Leveritt. She wanted him to autograph a book and he wouldn't do it until she apologized about all the lies in her book. She does apologize and when she asks again for him to sign her book, he replies, 'no way'. It seems the video has been taken down, but it does exist.

I remember seeing the contract between Dimension Films and the Hobbs about selling their life rites. It said it was to 'fictionalize, dramatize' in other words make up stories about their ordeal. It's in the Pasdar files if you want to go looking.

Here is a letter from Judge John Fogelman in 2007 on Mara Leveritt's website.

WM3 prosecutor wrote, “There is little in this book that is accurate.”
http://maraleveritt.com/2012/04/2007-fogleman-letter-panned-devils-knot/

So beware, the Devil is in the details.

JMB himself did a serious mea culpa to the three falsely convicted and to at least one parent (Jessie, Sr.). I think that was also in PL3. IIRC, Jessie, Sr. also apologized to JMB at that time. I personally know for a fact that several supporters (including yours truly) have apologized directly to JMB for their initial suspicions. He has always been gracious and forgiving because that's usually his nature. He just seems to get upset when someone kills his son. Wonder why?

Again, the wmpd leaped to false conclusions early in the investigation, and, to my knowledge, they have never had the honesty and/or grace to apologize - or even to have an honest investigation into this case! This case has become a real political football. I've heard it described as "toxic," and I concur. What I don't think I'll ever understand is why so many people refuse to look at the new testing and other new information obtained since the original trials and revise their original assumptions in this case. I guess there's simply no accounting for the strength of some egos!

Nope, I keep my opinions to myself. I never even thought he was guilty. No need for ME to apologize. :)

You know today as I was watching footage he said that as long as him being accused brought forth all the new investigation and the information that helped get the WM3 out, then it was worth it and he would do it again.
I don't think he is angry or upset. I think that all he has ever wanted was justice for his son.

I hope some day he gets that .

You know today as I was watching footage he said that as long as him being accused brought forth all the new investigation and the information that helped get the WM3 out, then it was worth it and he would do it again.
I don't think he is angry or upset. I think that all he has ever wanted was justice for his son.

I hope some day he gets that .

That's very true! When I said he was upset, I was referring to right after the murders. Now, as everyone knows, he is a firm believer in the innocence of Damien, Jason and Jessie, and he works tirelessly for true justice in this case.

I am pretty sure that peace was made with Kathy Bakken, and Burk Sauls too, I believe.

Although I had realised he was not the perp before the Press Conference that Echols' Defence team gave in LR, I did not apologise formally until a few days later. It was a challenging telepone call to make but nothing near the one he made to a local TV station wanting to go on air to announce his 180° change and publically, on TV apologise to the three and their families and to say he was now a supporter and would do all he could to help them regain their freedom.

That act of his took both courage and integrity. Both of these traits seem to be in short supply among those working in the judicial arm of the state of Arkansas. A 'big' man in stature, character and heart.

I am pretty sure that peace was made with Kathy Bakken, and Burk Sauls too, I believe.

Although I had realised he was not the perp before the Press Conference that Echols' Defence team gave in LR, I did not apologise formally until a few days later. It was a challenging telepone call to make but nothing near the one he made to a local TV station wanting to go on air to announce his 180° change and publically, on TV apologise to the three and their families and to say he was now a supporter and would do all he could to help them regain their freedom.

That act of his took both courage and integrity. Both of these traits seem to be in short supply among those working in the judicial arm of the state of Arkansas. A 'big' man in stature, character and heart.
It appears that Mark Byers carefully scrutinized all the new evidence (the very evidence discussed here) and came to the conclusion that his previous assertions were wrong and humbled himself by publicly admitting it. How refreshing. :dance:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back