PR Executive Causes Twitter Outrage

Blondie in Spokane

Reaction score
"Uh oh, I'm in BIG trouble! PR exec who sparked online outrage with racist tweet sent before 12-hour flight is pictured after landing and discovering the news... and promptly deletes her Twitter account"

"Justine Sacco has landed in Africa, at which time her Twitter account vanished"

"She caused a Twitter revolt on Friday after posting: 'Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just Kidding. I'm White!'

"She has not yet issued an apology or explanation"

"Sacco is the head PR representative of IAC, owned by Barry Diller and responsible for websites like Vimeo, OkCupid, and Tinder to name a few"

"IAC slammed their employee's behavior as 'outrageous' and said they would take 'appropriate action'

"In February 2012 Sacco Tweeted: 'I had a sex dream about an autistic kid last night.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ional-outrage-likely-fired.html#ixzz2o89rBVqr

How stupid can you be? I wouldn't trust her to refill the toilet paper, myself.

About 12 hours before the racist Tweet, she wrote: 'Weird German Dude: You're in first class. It's 2014. Get some deodorant' -Inner monologue as I inhale BO. Thank god for pharmaceuticals.'

Those must be nice pharmaceuticals she's using...
It's still 2013 where I live.

Why does anyone even GO there? Personally, I don't even entertain these kinds of thoughts. I don't understand it whatsoever.

:no:

Baffles the heck out of me, brain farts maybe? Or just people that don't care until it comes back to bite them. idk jmo

Weird that she's in PR. I thought those are people who are used to thinking about things in terms of how people will react to things that are said and done.

She is from South Africa, studied in the US at Tulane.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/justine-sacco-fired-for-im-white-aids-in-africa-tweet/

IAC’s full statement on their decision reads:

“The offensive comment does not reflect the views and values of IAC. We take this issue very seriously, and we have parted ways with the employee in question.

There is no excuse for the hateful statements that have been made and we condemn them unequivocally. We hope, however, that time and action, and the forgiving human spirit, will not result in the wholesale condemnation of an individual who we have otherwise known to be a decent person at core.”

I don't know her so I have no idea how she will view it, nor do I particularly care.

But, I do think that if she hopes to get another similar job in America in the near future she would be wise to keep her private feelings to herself and be thankful it was probably all over in 24 hours.

I would advise her to buy a filter for her brain with her unemployment check.

justinesacco.com redirects to Aid for Africa and the top of the page says, "not associated with Aid for Africa but you should be"

Here's for hoping I never do anything so stupid online or elsewhere that complete strangers buy an URL in my name just to leave me a message.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back