The Murder of Janet Abaroa #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterallgood

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.truecrimeweblog.com
While the rest of us were busily gawking at the beginnings of the circus that is now the Jennifer Wilbanks "case," -- me one of the worst, I'm afraid -- a crime occurred in Durham NC that has gone ignored in the national press. Twenty-five-year-old Raven Abaroa arrived home from a soccer match to find his son Kaiden alive, but his wife Janet, also 25, stabbed to death. Authorities have kept cards close to the vest on this crime -- they will only say at the moment that this crime is not random, and that Janet was stabbed to death. They stayed at the house 24 hours collecting evidence and interviewing neighbors.

Here are some links --

-- My blog, The Dark Side, two entries
-- Raven Abaroa's website, ravenstree.com
-- Google News Search for "Janet Abaroa" -- due to the giant sucking hole that is the now rather-amusing Wilbanks case, there's not much on this one yet.

I would be very interested in people visiting the sites, reading the stories, and giving thoughts on this one here. Remember the Wilbanks case; I for one am not going to pull the trigger on the typically obvious suspect -- usually for law enforcement as well as the public -- on this. News reports do indicate that Raven is in deep mourning. I'd like to discuss this giving Abaroa a fair shake to start with. Police have in no way yet indicated any suspicion of him, either. Essentially, I'm making no assertions at the moment, just gathering up what I could find on the internet.

Mr. A

This is such a tragic story! Several times (this morning alone!!!) I had to revisit the news article, blogs, etc. I agree that there should not be *any* jump to conclusions regarding Raven Araboa involvement, but I cannot get past all my little red flag stuff. I promise to try! :)

I read all the info (And, then some! I Googled for more!), your blog, and Raven Araboa's as well. Frankly, RA's blog does bother me...alot. I am not out to place all my bets on this guy, but I do believe he does have some type of involvement with Janet Araboa's murder. The embezzelment (sp?) info does *not* help this guy out at all. Does that make him a murderer as well? Not at all. However, I can't help but ask myself if this murder could have been for insurance monies. I think this couple were deeply in the hole. I also think that RA have many visions of success...dreams of making it big.

Okay, just sharing my first impressions, only *first* ones! I am sure there is much more to this story and I could be waaaay off base!

Someone with more technical experience than I have needs to copy the info. I would bet they'll get pulled and this case has the potential to be a case of interest around here!!!!

mrallgood, I just finished reading your first blog entry on this case. Excellent job! You've hooked me and I'll be following this case closely.

golfmom said:
Someone with more technical experience than I have needs to copy the info. I would bet they'll get pulled and this case has the potential to be a case of interest around here!!!!

I **completely** agree!!!

Yo, JeanaDP, is there a possibility of placing this in a "broader" viewing area, maybe? Pretty please, with mucho sugar on top??? :p

golfmom said:
Did the hairs on the back of your neck stand up too?

Big time, unfortunately. I am trying to keep an open mind as much as possible, but I'm getting to many "deja vu" moments. It sounds familar, not exact, but familar to another case we all were taken by. Know what I mean?

Have I been a member for too long???? :crazy:

golfmom said:
Did the hairs on the back of your neck stand up too?
For me, the moment I read the blog. One small word caused it... "I."

All of us who write blogs will go on about ourselves -- I am certainly guilty at times. But his one entry -- and comparing the old archives of the blog to the present incarnation... Janet seems to have virtually been erased between 2001 and 2005. As I say -- Mr. Abaroa hasn't been named as a suspect, so he deserves as much fairness as possible on the part of we, the 'speculators' -- I learned a lesson with John Mason that way, which is why I've been careful with the blogging of this. I figured presenting the links and letting others see what they think was the best idea. And for me, it's Mr. Abaroa's many "I's" that are troubling.

Anyone who looked at the internet archive and the present website notice that it went from "our" site to "my" site?

Yeah.

Can we consider making this a featured case? I'd like to start collecting info for a media thread.

misterallgood said:
For me, the moment I read the blog. One small word caused it... "I."

All of us who write blogs will go on about ourselves -- I am certainly guilty at times. But his one entry -- and comparing the old archives of the blog to the present incarnation... Janet seems to have virtually been erased between 2001 and 2005. As I say -- Mr. Abaroa hasn't been named as a suspect, so he deserves as much fairness as possible on the part of we, the 'speculators' -- I learned a lesson with John Mason that way, which is why I've been careful with the blogging of this. I figured presenting the links and letting others see what they think was the best idea. And for me, it's Mr. Abaroa's many "I's" that are troubling.

Anyone who looked at the internet archive and the present website notice that it went from "our" site to "my" site?

Yeah.

Exactly!!!!! I must have started to post 10 times before I settled on my first one... I didn't want to go to nuts with my first thoughts. That said:

Where was Janet Araboa's pictures??? The only ones I had seen of her, you found elsewhere. Where was the "We" as in wife? The Mother of his son?? Only his son is visually/written word recognized. Except, of course, for himself. Janet did not/does not exist.

Something is *so* not right here.

I'd like to start collecting info for a media thread.
Can I second that? Even though I started the thread?

I've been feeling this was a needlessly neglected crime news-wise, so it's good to see the response to this thread so far.

misterallgood said:
Can I second that? Even though I started the thread?

I've been feeling this was a needlessly neglected crime news-wise, so it's good to see the response to this thread so far.

Maybe if we start collecting here we'll get moved to the featured area by default ... :D

Found this on google.

Knowlogy
703-532-1000
4720 Montgomery Lane
Bethesda, MD 20814
Raven Abaroa rabaroa@knowlogy.com
At Knowlogy, our mission is to build valuable computer skills for professionals by providing solution-based training, and creating better organization performance. Contact me for any of your IT solution needs. For more information visit www.knowlogy.com

irishrose said:
Exactly!!!!! I must have started to post 10 times before I settled on my first one... I didn't want to go to nuts with my first thoughts. That said:

Where was Janet Araboa's pictures??? The only ones I had seen of her, you found elsewhere. Where was the "We" as in wife? The Mother of his son?? Only his son is visually/written word recognized. Except, of course, for himself. Janet did not/does not exist.

Something is *so* not right here.

I totally agree. It seems only he and the baby exist in his world.

Hopefully I'm way off base here but since this is a sleuthing forum and speculation abounds here goes. Maybe she found out something about him and was going to leave and take the baby. Well, he just couldn't let that happen.

Remember this is just SPECULATION

I think that if he had something to do with this -- IF -- that Kato may be right in some sense.

You know who his appearance reminded me of? A less-handsome Paul Bernardo, of the Bernardo/Homolka serial killing team.

We can be assured Bernardo was a malignant narcissist and psychopath. It's only coinicidence, but it just hit me and I thought I'd share.

I am not going to jump to conclusions just yet but of course the normal person to suspect is the husband. What would be the motive of anyone other than her husband? Was she raped? It does seem to me that he was more interested in the baby but who knows. Would he leave the baby home alone with the mother's dead body for hours (if she was murdered earlier in the night)? I just hope for the child's sake that it wasn't the father.

Rachael said:
I am not going to jump to conclusions just yet but of course the normal person to suspect is the husband. What would be the motive of anyone other than her husband? Was she raped? It does seem to me that he was more interested in the baby but who knows. Would he leave the baby home alone with the mother's dead body for hours (if she was murdered earlier in the night)? I just hope for the child's sake that it wasn't the father.
The part in bold goes for me, too. When that happens, the child becomes an orphan with a living parent. I've held that hope from the beginning.

It may be frustrating for us "websleuths," but I appreciate the way the Durham police seem to be handling this. They seem to understand how to build their case without leaking too much info, therefore giving any potential defense attorney rope if someone went to trial.

Rachael said:

More musing out loud . . .
1. What do we know of Raven's background? Is it possible someone murdered his wife in retaliation for something? Why would the baby be left unharmed?
2. Was it common for him to go to soccer games? Was he alone or with friends? Why didn't Janet & baby go with him? I would think that would be a fun family type activity.
3. Is there anything in Janet's background that would raise red flags . . . psycho ex-boyfriends?
4. Any evidence Janet might have fought back?
5. Police are searching Raven's truck for the 2nd time. I would assume he took his truck to the game ... LE searching the truck is a big flag.
6. Why would anyone who has as much financial problems as this couple did have a truck like that?

some details worth noting . . . .

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/durham/story/2356802p-8734464c.html

Published: Apr 29, 2005
Modified: Apr 29, 2005 3:35 AM

Woman's family mourns
Inquiry continues in Durham slaying

By SAMIHA KHANNA, Staff Writer

DURHAM -- For the second time, Dena Kendall is mourning a beautiful, kind-hearted sister lost to an untimely death.
The first was her older sister, Gaynelle Christiansen, who died at age 16 from leukemia.

Now, Kendall, 38, and her seven younger siblings are lamenting the loss of a second sister, Janet Abaroa.

Abaroa, 25, was found dead late Tuesday inside a bedroom at her residence at 2606 Ferrand Drive.

........... but family members said Abaroa had been stabbed.

Janet and Raven Abaroa were together nearly seven years and would have celebrated their fifth wedding anniversary in August, Kendall said.

When the victim's parents tried to speak to Raven Abaroa by phone this week, the only words he could utter were so grief-stricken that they were incoherent, she said.

The couple met at Southern Virginia University in Buena Vista, Va., where Janet Abaroa was a midfielder for the soccer team, Kendall said.

The couple was ecstatic about their first child, and Raven Abaroa even created a Web site so family members could note each of the baby's important feats -- a swim in the pool, a hike in the park. The site had been updated with family photos and notes as recently as Monday.

But even before Janet Abaroa's death, the couple's auspicious start was tainted by trouble.

Both worked at Eurosport, a sporting goods company in Hillsborough. Janet and Raven Abaroa left their jobs in January after Hillsborough police charged Raven with embezzling more than $9,000 from the company, according to arrest warrants. He is scheduled to appear in court on five felony embezzlement charges in June.

The lapse in income led their landlord to offer two months' free rent, and their church helped to pay for a third month, their landlord, Peter Greijn of Referral Realty, said Wednesday.

Janet Abaroa found work again quickly, and her husband had gotten several job offers, Kendall said.

Eventually, the couple had planned to move back to northern Virginia, where Janet Abaroa would be close to her family.

Staff writer Samiha Khanna can be reached at 956-2468 or skhanna@newsobserver.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246