GUILTY WA - Jay Cook, 20, & Tanya Van Cuylenborg, 18, Skagit County, 24 Nov 1987

graceless

Reaction score
Hello again!

Another case that has haunted me is the murder of a young couple from Victoria, British Columbia.

My sweetheart and I had barely moved in to our new home in Bellingham at the time of this horrific crime. We were living in an isolated cabin on the shores of Lake Samish just south of town and I can remember getting chills down my spine as details of this case became available. I wasn't much older than Jay at the time and when Tanya was found just miles from our house it made me dread the nights when I would find myself alone in the woods. I would later discover that someone had been staying/sleeping(?) in our detached garage during this time period, adding to the creep factor. We found a "survival kit" with lots of little weird things in a plastic bag.

Unsolved Mysteries did a segment on the crime, but as of today there have been no arrests in the case. When I saw the 48 Hours episode on "The Sweetheart Murders," I was struck by the similarities. I contacted LE and was basically blown off (big surprise--lol). To me, the fact that the convicted killer in that case just HAPPENED to be in WA at the time of Jay and Tanya's murder, used zip ties and had targeted a young couple very similar to this couple seemed like it might be worth looking into . . . call me crazy--lol

Here are some links:

http://www.theprovince.com/story_print.html?id=2417538&sponsor=

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20081214/NEWS01/712149872

I will try and find links to the Unsolved Mystery segment and will post what I can find.

I would love to see this crime be moved from "Cold Case" to "Solved."

Blessed be--
graceless

The world breaks everyone ... those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.

ERNEST HEMINGWAY
A Farewell to Arms

Very interesting Graceless. And welcome to WS!! :)

Do we NOT have a thread on these two? If not I'll start one....

Well dayum!! I'm still recovering from a concussion. You started a thread. :floorlaugh:

Yes, I remember this on Unsolved Mysteries and it's in a book I have around here, I believe. It was also covered in at least one detective magazine, if I recall.

"Murder Mystery: Canadian couple visiting Seattle killed; families offering huge reward to solve case"

http://catchwmw.com/2015/06/26/murder-mystery-canadian-couple-visiting-seattle-killed-families-offering-huge-reward-to-solve-case/

For the past three decades friends and family of Tanya and Jay have been raising money to help find their killer. Now, the reward is $25,000 Canadian dollars. “Since it’s been 27 years we don’t know if the person that did this is alive or not, but even if they’re not we feel that somebody out there has information that can help us resolve it by identifying that person because we do have DNA evidence that will be a positive match,” Scharf explains.

canada.jpg

I just watched this episode on unsolved mysteries on Amazon Prime. I cannot believe this is still unsolved! There is no way this crime was the perpetrators only murder.

What I could read all about this case and using/tracing their steps through GoogleMaps I guess they met their murder in the second ferry. Probably he got into conversations with them and ask them for a lift...

Doesn't anyone else find it strange that everything started in Canada, and made a loop all the way back to the Canadian border?
I would bet money that the killer/s knew the couple in their hometown and followed them into Washington.
They never did say what business errand the kid was doing for his father in Washington. That may be a key to the whole mystery.
Something just does not add up. Has anyone thought of the possibility of the kids being drug mules? Before legalization, a lot of marijuana was coming down from Canada at that time through the ferry system. The fact the killer/s dumped the bodies as they headed north back towards the border tells me they were likely Canadian criminals. The van was abandoned near the border in Bellingham by a Greyhound bus station. Whoever committed this crime could have easily hopped on a bus and went right back to Canada.

I read in one of the above links that they were picking up a furnace part for Jay's father.

Doesn't anyone else find it strange that everything started in Canada, and made a loop all the way back to the Canadian border?
I would bet money that the killer/s knew the couple in their hometown and followed them into Washington.
They never did say what business errand the kid was doing for his father in Washington. That may be a key to the whole mystery.
Something just does not add up. Has anyone thought of the possibility of the kids being drug mules? Before legalization, a lot of marijuana was coming down from Canada at that time through the ferry system. The fact the killer/s dumped the bodies as they headed north back towards the border tells me they were likely Canadian criminals. The van was abandoned near the border in Bellingham by a Greyhound bus station. Whoever committed this crime could have easily hopped on a bus and went right back to Canada.

It was a Furnace.

To me they don't seem those sort of lads carrying dope or drug.
But why do you think is strange that everything started in Canada? They were Canadian citizens living in Saanich, British Columbia.
I think they thought a good plan and joy to go down to Seattle to help the boy's father.
Police in Skagit county know that at about 10:15pm they purchased a ferry ticket at the Bremerton (Washington) ferry dock for the 11:35pm to Seattle (Washington). Police know this because they found Jay's bronze van in Bellingham next to a Greyhound bus depot on November 25. Inside the van it was found the tickets of the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle. The bodies and the van were found across the Central Basin region of Puget Sound. This shows that, probably, they met their killer while on the ferry. The killer probably asked them for a ride before they reached land.

I am posting the itinerary of Jay and Tanya from November 24 until November 26. It gives alot of a bigger perspective.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cook_Cuylenborg_Nov18-1987.jpg
    Cook_Cuylenborg_Nov18-1987.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 209
Police in Washington state to provide new DNA evidence in cold case murder of Victoria couple

https://www.cheknews.ca/washington-...n-cold-case-murder-of-victoria-couple-437450/

The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office in Everett, Wash. is scheduled to release new DNA evidence in the unsolved 1987 murder of a Victoria couple who were running an errand in the state.

According to the sheriff’s office, there will be a press conference about the double homicide on April 11 at 11 a.m., which will include “new suspect information from Snapshot DNA phenotyping.” DNA phenotyping technology can be used to predict physical appearance from DNA

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/face-o...uple-1.3880381
April 11 2018
EVERETT, Wash. -- Police in Washington state have released images of a man created through groundbreaking DNA technology that they say could help solve the murders of a young British Columbia couple more than 30 years ago.

The composite images released by the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office show a Caucasian man with fair hair and green or hazel eyes, traits that investigators said are connected to the DNA of the person they think killed Tanya Van Cuylenborg, 18, and Jay Cook, 20.

"We believe that someone knows who our person of interest is," investigations Capt. Jim Miller said at a news conference on Wednesday. "Maybe you were too afraid to come forward at the time or you thought someone else already had. Now is the time to share what you may have seen or heard and bring closure to this crime."

A suspect image created by DNA profiling depicts what the suspect may have looked like at 25 years old, 45 years old and 65 years old. (Snohomish County Sheriff's Office)

Tanya Van Cuylenborg and Jack Cook, shown in this image from "Washington's Most Wanted" were both murdered in 1987.
The high school sweethearts from Saanich, B.C., were on their way to Seattle to pick up furnace parts for Cook's father when they disappeared in November 1987.
Their bodies were found in separate locations outside the city days later. Van Cuylenborg had been restrained with zip ties, sexually assaulted and shot in the back of the head. Cook had been strangled and zip ties were found near his body.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4137992/...-case-involving-vancouver-island-sweethearts/
The families have put up a $50,000 reward in an attempt to motivate anyone with information to come forward. Authorities say if the information leads to a DNA match, the reward money will be paid out. Detectives from both Snohomish and Skagit County are working on the case.

“The person who did this came prepared to do a brutal crime,” said detective Jim Scharf, who has been working on the case for the past 13 years. “The smallest detail could end up being the lead we need to solve this case.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0DNIR20gss
The National

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam