The media and their role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junebug99

Reaction score
I find this disturbing, media paying people to lie, talk about backdoor deals:(

False Accusations by Media
The Globe
Shapiro*Expose. "Jeffrey Scott Shapiro investigated the JonBenet Ramsey case for the Globe from 1997 until 1999 when he reported his employers to the FBI." His expose uncovered a lot of the misleading information promoted by The Globe.
Shifting Theories of the Case. "At 23 years of age, I was recruited as the lead investigator on the JonBenet Ramsey case for the Globe tabloid. My job was to find information that would support my editors' claims that John Ramsey was a pedophile who murdered his daughter after sexually molesting her. One year later, the newspaper's editors reversed their claim and accused his wife, Patsy, instead. A year after that, they changed their story once more and falsely accused the couple's 9-year-old son, Burke, who had already been publicly cleared by the police." The*Examiner
Globe Interest in Ramsey Prosecution. "It became clear to me that it was in the Globe's interest to see the Ramseys prosecuted. I first realized this when my editor, Tony Frost, confided to me that if the family were exonerated, the Globe could be found liable for millions of dollars from defamation suits. 'There must be an indictment,' Frost said of the Ramseys. 'Otherwise we're finished, all of us, every single last one of us.' In a later conversation, Frost admitted, 'The Globe, and Tony Frost in particular, have more reason to go for the Ramseys than the police have.'" The*Examiner
Tabloid Tactics. Shapiro reported on the deceptive tactics employed by The Globe to make the Ramseys look guilty:
Reporting*False*Information*to*Authorities. "I knew that the tabloids sometimes reported false information to the authorities. This was their way of maintaining some control over the investigation so that the police would focus more on the Ramseys rather than an intruder."
Payments*for*Fictitious*Quotes. "I also found that many payments to "sources" were not for authentic information but, rather, financial rewards to people who agreed to accept attribution for "quotes" that tabloid reporters had already written."
Paying*Sources*for*False*Claims*to*Authorities. "Sometimes, when the tabloids couldn't find a new witness to interview, they often paid a "source" to report their anti-Ramsey claims to the police or FBI, giving the story more credibility. My editors did virtually anything they could to say the authorities were investigating their "shocking new scenario," when those claims were often baseless and false -- wasting investigators' precious time."

http://jonbenetramsey.pbworks.com/w/page/11682485/John and Patsy Ramsey

I would hardly call tabloid magazines the media.

JMO.

I'm more concerned about them paying sources for false information which was then related to bpd. Regardless of who did it, feeding police false info would make their tunnel vision even worse. How many of those false quotes are still believed and used today?

:facepalm:

I'm just going to scroll and roll.

I don't think I've ever read anything ever printed in 'The Globe'. Is that rag still being printed?

is something going on in the background? is something in play that might surface?

I find this disturbing, media paying people to lie, talk about backdoor deals:(

False Accusations by Media
The Globe
Shapiro*Expose. "Jeffrey Scott Shapiro investigated the JonBenet Ramsey case for the Globe from 1997 until 1999 when he reported his employers to the FBI." His expose uncovered a lot of the misleading information promoted by The Globe.
Shifting Theories of the Case. "At 23 years of age, I was recruited as the lead investigator on the JonBenet Ramsey case for the Globe tabloid. My job was to find information that would support my editors' claims that John Ramsey was a pedophile who murdered his daughter after sexually molesting her. One year later, the newspaper's editors reversed their claim and accused his wife, Patsy, instead. A year after that, they changed their story once more and falsely accused the couple's 9-year-old son, Burke, who had already been publicly cleared by the police." The*Examiner
Globe Interest in Ramsey Prosecution. "It became clear to me that it was in the Globe's interest to see the Ramseys prosecuted. I first realized this when my editor, Tony Frost, confided to me that if the family were exonerated, the Globe could be found liable for millions of dollars from defamation suits. 'There must be an indictment,' Frost said of the Ramseys. 'Otherwise we're finished, all of us, every single last one of us.' In a later conversation, Frost admitted, 'The Globe, and Tony Frost in particular, have more reason to go for the Ramseys than the police have.'" The*Examiner
Tabloid Tactics. Shapiro reported on the deceptive tactics employed by The Globe to make the Ramseys look guilty:
Reporting*False*Information*to*Authorities. "I knew that the tabloids sometimes reported false information to the authorities. This was their way of maintaining some control over the investigation so that the police would focus more on the Ramseys rather than an intruder."
Payments*for*Fictitious*Quotes. "I also found that many payments to "sources" were not for authentic information but, rather, financial rewards to people who agreed to accept attribution for "quotes" that tabloid reporters had already written."
Paying*Sources*for*False*Claims*to*Authorities. "Sometimes, when the tabloids couldn't find a new witness to interview, they often paid a "source" to report their anti-Ramsey claims to the police or FBI, giving the story more credibility. My editors did virtually anything they could to say the authorities were investigating their "shocking new scenario," when those claims were often baseless and false -- wasting investigators' precious time."

http://jonbenetramsey.pbworks.com/w/page/11682485/John and Patsy Ramsey

I would hardly stand by what the globe said. They also said Elvis is alive and Cher pregnant by Aliens....lol!

Missing the point. The globe fed bpd false information, and they gobbled it right up. They faked quotes and paid "sources".

Isn't the source for that whole thing a person who worked for the Globe?

Missing the point. The globe fed bpd false information, and they gobbled it right up. They faked quotes and paid "sources".

How do you know "the police gobbled it up?" The police are supposed to take reports and investigate leads.
What were the false leads that were reported to the police?

I certainly thought y'all considered the Globe to be "media":

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2423540&postcount=263"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Serious DNA discussion[/ame]

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1258574&highlight=Globe+magazine#post1258574

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=848334&postcount=143"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Patsy Ramsey is close to death[/ame]

How do you know "the police gobbled it up?" The police are supposed to take reports and investigate leads.
What were the false leads that were reported to the police?
PMPT is a great starting point.

PMPT is a great starting point.

I read that years ago, and as I said earlier the police are obliged to follow up on leads that are reported to them. To say they "gobbled it up" is a bit misleading.
Do you know exactly which "false leads" were reported to LE?

Try reading the whole thread, not just single posts. Sure, there were a few that took the articles seriously, and that's their prerogative. Even amongst RDI's there are dissenters. You should know that. And my...aren't some people a bit passive -aggressive?

Aside from the Eller, Koby, Mason, Arndt, Thomas, etc. sagas re: public relations & leaks, we KNOW per ST & Beckner, (UNDER OATH), the BPD employed that infamous "public pressure" offense against the Rs. It seems quite disingenuous to deny the OP.

This thread is closed. It was based on a wiki page. That is not an approved source of information.

You guys all know the rules and if you don't you can find them here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159"]The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

If you have questions, pm a mod, please.

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member