New Mark of the Beast: 616

616 -- Say, that looks like a smilie for the devil...two horns two eyes and a nose! Much better than 666 IMO. :D

This is the part of the article I found most interesting:

Dr. Aitken said, however, that scholars now believe the number in question has very little to do the devil. It was actually a complicated numerical riddle in Greek, meant to represent someone's name, she said.

"It's a number puzzle -- the majority opinion seems to be that it refers to [the Roman emperor] Nero."

Revelation was actually a thinly disguised political tract, with the names of those being criticized changed to numbers to protect the authors and early Christians from reprisals. "It's a very political document," Dr. Aitken said. "It's a critique of the politics and society of the Roman empire, but it's written in coded language and riddles."

Just another reminder, IMO, not to take the bible literally.

I have always been afraid of that number - call me superstitious...
I can rethink it now

The oldest copies of verses in the Bible are not the most reliable. The Book of Revelation gives a dire warning to anyone who dares to change the words. To Christians, it is not a political code. Early Christians were not political activists, they were simply followers of Jesus, many who were percecuted and died for their faith.

txsvicki said:
Early Christians were not political activists...

????????????????????????????????????

How do you define "politics"? If you mean the apostles weren't out to overthrow the Emperor, that may be true.

But has there ever been a more political statement than "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven"? (Please forgive my paraphrase. The Bibles are in another room.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back