FREE online Forensic Science course, starts 06 Jan 2014

Amber34

Reaction score
Strathclyde University in Glasgow, Scotland, is offering a FREE 6 week online course - An Introduction to Forensic Science

The course addresses four major evidence types: drugs of abuse, DNA, firearms and impression evidence, and discusses these through the exploration of a case-based scenario presented across a six-week modular framework.

A murder case set on the murky shores of Loch Lomond provides the backbone to ‘Introduction to Forensic Science’. As the case unfolds each week, a number of evidence types, and the forensic science approaches that may be used to evaluate the evidence, are explored.

In the first week we will set the scene and look at how the initial crime scene is processed. Subsequent weeks will introduce various types of evidence including drugs of abuse, fingerprints, DNA, footwear marks and firearms.

Course material is supplemented with opportunities to check understanding and engage with fellow learners, as well as the course leaders, who have international reputations in the field of forensic science. You will be encouraged to formulate (and defend!) opinions on the case, based on your evaluation of the evidence. All will be revealed in the final week, so make sure you are there to find out the identity of the murderer!

REQUIREMENTS
No special knowledge or previous experience of studying is required. Warning: Some of content presented in this course may be distressing to individuals, particularly younger learners. Notwithstanding, the material is representative of that encountered by forensic scientists and we have presented it in an objective and professional manner.
It starts today, sign up for free here

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/introduction-to-forensic-science

I don't think that will matter - I only happened upon it a couple of hours before midnight on the sign up day myself but at just three hours a week, it won't be difficult to catch up.

It was flagged up to me by my crime novelist friend - I will be looking out for evidence of the course in her next book :)

I signed up too!! So glad to see Tulessa here. I claim the seat next to her in class!! I hope other join us.

I just joined too! One of my goals this year was to learn at least half a dozen new things, so this is the perfect start :) Thanks! Look forward to hanging out in class with you guys :p

Thanks for sharing this, I just signed up. Should be fun :)

So- what does everyone think about the course so far?
(haven't signed up yet myself because I wanted some feedback.)

So- what does everyone think about the course so far?
(haven't signed up yet myself because I wanted some feedback.)

I haven't signed up either..just now heard about it. Sounds interesting. There are a lot of terms and conditions!

I hope to hear some feedback as well!

I just completed week one, I'm finding it fun and informative so far :)

Just signed up (a week late) but I'll catch up this weekend to be ready to go next week! Cheers fellow sleuthers/students~ Katrina

I'm really enjoying it so far. It has made me think a little differently, putting myself into the position of investigator having to find answers, rather than a bystander asking questions.

I thought this was a great article and tied in really well with the course - it might be interesting to those who decided not to take part :)

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/apr/27/craig-taylor-real-csi

I signed up and am enjoying it also. Didn't know a thread was started here :)

Salem

ETA: As a side note, there are approximately 2,300 participants. There are some discussion assignments, but it is impossible for me to read everyone's input because there are so many participants.

I am posting this on January 14th. Is it too late to sign up? I just saw the announcement. Will the course be offered again in a few months? TIA!

I am posting this on January 14th. I just saw the announcement. Is it too late to sign up? If so, will the class be offered again in a few months? TIA!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back