HI - Finley Boyle, 3, Dies After Root Canals, Honolulu, 2014

Sounds like a racket to me, but I'm no dentist. I don't even play one on tv...

4 root canals on a 3 year old? I don't know what to say? That just sounds completely ridiculous.

RIP sweetie

I want to know why a three-year old needs four root canals. That makes no kind of sense to me.

The dentist I use to go to is in the same building as this dentist. My dentist was great! I have never heard of a 3 year old getting one root canal let alone 4! And 11 fillings?

An adorable little girl loses her life. There are no words.

From my understanding, children this young who need a root canal often have badly rotten teeth that need to be fixed until their adult teeth come through (usually around the age of 7ish). It's not as simple as just pulling the tooth because this could effect the adult tooth growing back, and it probably wouldn't be very comfortable having rotten teeth for a few years until the adult ones shoot through. So, while not extremely common, it is done in some cases. Mr PH has a cousin who is a dental assistant, so I've heard of stories like this from her. As I said though, it's very rare (well, at least where I live).

I'm far more concerned about the reporting that the medication/sedative doses she was given didn't seem to be calculated according to her small size. It sounds like she was pumped full of drugs... but then, we all know how the media loves to sensationalize stories like these, so I'm not sure how factual the reporting actually is.

I think I'll be sitting on the fence until we receive more information.

My thoughts are with her family, whatever the cause, this is such a tragedy. Rest in peace, darling girl. You were taken far too young. :rose:

The dentist I use to go to is in the same building as this dentist. My dentist was great! I have never heard of a 3 year old getting one root canal let alone 4! And 11 fillings?

An adorable little girl loses her life. There are no words.

I wish the mother had gotten a second opinion from your or another dentist. All the drugs bother me too. I hope this is investigated.

Rest in peace, little Finley...:rose:

In her photo the child is smilling with pretty white teeth.
If dentist tells you your child needs numerous root canals and fillings, parents, please, get a second opinion.

OMG horrible. Poor baby. I do question the root canals. I hope this family gets answers.

In her photo the child is smilling with pretty white thees.
If dentist tells you your child needs numerous root canals and fillings, parents, please, get a second opinion.
I agree! Pull the baby teeth! —Maybe it does affect future dentition.
I hate the dentist!
I have since I was 7! I had to have my baby teeth pulled because they didn't fall out.
I got nitrous... not NOC-TEC or whatever these dentists use today!
OMG. I am having 21 teeth removed Thursday! — I am not even allowing nitrous...
Ok! That's another thread I'm not gonna start!
Jahi and this baby have me totally freaked out.
I am not a "baby".
Stuff like this breeds panic IMO...
JMO- no comments about me please! This is about a baby possibly being overdosed! IMO Jahi's doctors are not at fault. This dentist we just don't know!
Every medical-dental procedure carries a risk PERIOD.
Just wanted to make my point.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I saw her gorgeous pix on TV. What an adorable baby girl. This must be so devastating for them to accept. RIP sweet baby girl.

This is very sad. I have a hard time letting my child go through this.

The lawyer was on NG last night and started to explain that there are 3 areas of negligence. First he explained that when Finley was in a coma they did a CT scan, I believe, and it showed she did not need .....then NG cut him of and talked over him. Never heard the rest of what was said.

After hearing other stories about dentists/dental practices like this on 60 minutes etc, I imagine she probably had 1 or 2 cavities and never needed the majority of this work. jmo

Our pediatric dentist wanted to sedate dd#1 to do a couple fillings on her baby teeth. Actually go to the hospital, be admitted, and put under general anesthesia, while he did his work. Something just seemed wrong about that to me, and I flatly refused. We have come to find out that this dentist does a LOT of work with patients on public assistance (and Medicaid). Is that easy money for him? I don't know, but I have suspected it is, because I see a lot of kids from lower income households (in the schools) with silver caps on many of their lower teeth. He seems to be a competent dentist, otherwise. He put silver caps on two of my daughter's molars, explaining that she would be 10 before the adult ones came in. I wasn't too happy about that, but apparently, if the teeth fall out before they're ready, and the new ones have years before they come in, it can lead to serious shifting of the teeth, so the teeth with the caps act as a place holder, while protecting current tooth from further decay. I spoke to my regular dentist, and asked what he thought about the dentist's original wishes to put her under general anesthetic at the hospital, and he said he would never advise putting a young child under general anesthesia to do dental work. I don't know what kind of sedation this child had, but I will never have my children put under - either in a hospital, or a dentist's office.

I have read about this case, and was initially very bothered by the amount of procedures this child received. As an anesthetist, I am VERY bothered by the fact that this child had these surgeries NOT in a surgery center, but in an outpatient office. There does not appear to be an anesthetist or anesthesiologist involved at any point. That is of huge concern, as the one doing the procedures, a dentist, not an oral surgeon, was also entirely in charge of her anesthesia, the surgeries, AND maintaining her airway. IMO, this is a horrifying position for the child. These procedures would have taken many hours to complete. That is inappropriate for a young child, as sedation alone won't be enough, and young kids often have paradoxical reactions to sedation. Not to mention you can lose their spontaneously breathing airway in seconds with sedation alone over hours.

My youngest is adopted internationally, and had extensive dental work needs immediately on arrival home. She didn't have nearly this much work, and the dental portion of her combined procedures was almost 4 hours. I would never have considered having that done in an office. She had a general anesthetic in a surgery center. With licensed, dedicated anesthesia staff.

The issue, as I see it here, is the inappropriate selection of cases to be done in an office environment. IMO, this child should have been in a licensed and regulated surgery center, with dedicated anesthesia staff to monitor her. Dental offices have scant oversight, and are not regulated as surgery centers, and dentists have FAR different anesthesia training than anesthetists and anesthesiologists. This child did not have to die.

Our pediatric dentist wanted to sedate dd#1 to do a couple fillings on her baby teeth. Actually go to the hospital, be admitted, and put under general anesthesia, while he did his work. Something just seemed wrong about that to me, and I flatly refused. We have come to find out that this dentist does a LOT of work with patients on public assistance (and Medicaid). Is that easy money for him? I don't know, but I have suspected it is, because I see a lot of kids from lower income households (in the schools) with silver caps on many of their lower teeth. He seems to be a competent dentist, otherwise. He put silver caps on two of my daughter's molars, explaining that she would be 10 before the adult ones came in. I wasn't too happy about that, but apparently, if the teeth fall out before they're ready, and the new ones have years before they come in, it can lead to serious shifting of the teeth, so the teeth with the caps act as a place holder, while protecting current tooth from further decay. I spoke to my regular dentist, and asked what he thought about the dentist's original wishes to put her under general anesthetic at the hospital, and he said he would never advise putting a young child under general anesthesia to do dental work. I don't know what kind of sedation this child had, but I will never have my children put under - either in a hospital, or a dentist's office.

My understanding is that general is actually safer than sedation, because the airway is secured.

My understanding is that general is actually safer than sedation, because the airway is secured.

That could very well be true (that it's safer than sedation); we were able to achieve the same end result through Novocain (or whatever it's called nowadays) and some patience, thankfully!

Pediatric dentist thought he was going to sedate my then 3 year old granddaughter and perform procedures, WITHOUT even meeting her mother! On the day of the procedure, I was present and informed staff that they would not sedate my granddaughter until we could meet the dentist. They would only allow the mother to speak to him and it was the first time she saw or heard from him. I clearly let the staff know that I was an RN (I was ready for battle). What nerve! Who does this dentist think he is?

I was taken to the dentist every six months for checking and cleaning when I was a child. Never a cavity, never a criticism of my dental hygiene. Then we moved. At age seven, I saw a new dentist who proceeded to identify cavities in my eight back teeth. All were filled. I never had another cavity. Subsequent dentists remarked on what huge fillings I had in my back teeth. The dentist who said that I had cavities eventually lost his license for malpractice. It never occurred to my parents that a dentist would lie in order to make money.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back