NY - 9/11 Fraud Scheme by police, firefighters, prison guards, NYC

i.b.nora

I am polka dot
Reaction score
WABC-TV New York

9/11 disabilty fraud scheme crackdown nets dozens of arrests

Associated Press

"NEW YORK -- Scores of retired New York City police officers, firefighters and prison guards were charged Tuesday with faking psychiatric problems to get federal disability benefits - with some falsely claiming their conditions arose after the Sept. 11 attacks, prosecutors said.

Four ringleaders coached the former workers on how to falsely describe symptoms of depression and other mental health problems that allowed them to get payouts high as $500,000, said Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. The ringleaders made tens of thousands in dollars in secret kickbacks, Vance said.

Among the retirees arrested were 72 city police officers, eight firefighters, five corrections officers and one Nassau County Police Department officer."

Much, much more...

4 connected to cop, firefighter Social Security scam surrender to face charges

Former Long Island prosecutor and FBI agent Raymond Lavallee, Detectives Endowment Association pension consultant John Minerva, along with two others, turned themselves in to face charges of first-degree grand larceny, and up to 25 years in prison for their roles in a Social Security scam to help city cops and firefighters receive benefits for millions of dollars in fraudulent claims.

BY SHAYNA JACOBS AND LARRY MCSHANE / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
PUBLISHED: TUESDAY, JANUARY 7, 2014, 12:01 PM
UPDATED: TUESDAY, JANUARY 7, 2014, 3:28 PM

"The top four defendants in a probe of massive Social Security rip-offs by city cops and firefighters faking stress-related woes surrendered Tuesday morning.
The Manhattan District Attorney's Office expected about 100 arrests in the investigation, with arraignments due to begin on the sprawling indictment later Tuesday afternoon."

Much more with lots of pictures...

This is so sad and disgusting. It angers me because I know there are REAL victims who are really suffering with the things that these fraudsters are claiming. Those REAL victims have suffered, dealt with it and just kept going because they aren't willing to fake it and they don't want to be disabled so they hide the extent of their injuries or damage. They are the walking wounded and I hate seeing their good name being dirtied by these shysters.

"Karate man 'most flagrant' scammer in 9/11 pension plot: DA"

“He’s also one of the most flagrant abusers, posting videos of himself on YouTube performing martial arts . . . [and traveling] on at least 18 flights from 2006 to 2013, including to Mexico and Jamaica,’’ while claiming he was too depressed to leave his house, travel or work, said Assistant District Attorney Christopher Santora."

http://nypost.com/2014/01/14/karate-man-most-flagrant-scammer-in-911-pension-plot-da/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74
Back