Match! NY - Caledonia, WhtFem 1UFNY, 13-19, Turquoise Necklace, Nov'79 *Tammy Alexander*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Reaction score
Unidentified White Female
Located on November 9, 1979 in Caledonia, Livingston County, New York.

Estimated Date of Death is November 8, 1979
Died as a result of severe brain hemorrhage caused by a gunshot wound to the head.

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 13 - 19 years old. Her estimated date of birth is 1958-1967.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3; 120 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: She had curly brown, shoulder length hair which had been frosted about four months before her death. The frosted hair was in the process of growing out. She had brown eyes. She was tanned and had visible bikini lines. She had no distinguishing marks. The victim had had no broken bones that would have been in a hospital's records. It didn't look as though she had received much medical attention of any kind.
Dentals: She has some serious decay and tooth #14 was decayed to the extent that only three roots of the tooth were left. She did have some dental work to suggest that the dentist was not trained in the US.

Clothing: She was wearing a a boy's multi-plaid, button-down shirt, tan corduroy pants, blue knee socks, light blue panties; white exquisite bra; brown laceup, ripple-sole shoes and a red nylon-lined man's windbreaker with black stripes down the arms, marked with the inside label Auto Sports Products, Inc..
The Doe Network Case File 1UFNY
NCIC Number: U-157617149

Case History
The victim was discovered by a passing motorist at 10am in a Caledonia, NY cornfield on November 9, 1979. She was found about 20 ft. from the south side of Route 20, about ½ mile from the intersection of Route 5.
She was fully clothed and there was no evidence that she had been sexu*ally molested. Her pockets had been turned inside out, possibly to remove any identification.

An examination of the girl's stomach contents turned up pieces of meat, corn and potatoes. A waitress from a small dinner in Lima, New York, remembered seeing the girl the night before the murder, but she couldn't remember anything more.

She died of two gunshot wounds; one to the back and one to the right temple. The coroner estimated that she was killed the previous night, (November 8) and that the gunshot wound to her back was inflicted prior to the head wound. The victim was apparently shot by the road where a blood spot marked the earth. Then she was dragged into the cornfield and shot again.

Police speculated that the murder weapon used was a .38-caliber handgun. Ballistics experts dug up a slug buried in the dirt underneath the victim. The slug was tested against literally hundreds of other bullets fired from guns seized by police. Over the years, the Livingston County probers traced weapons to as far away as Canada, Europe, and Mexico, but they were never able to match the slug to a murder weapon.

Although the victim is still unknown, over 60 serial killers have come forward claiming responsibility for her death. Henry Lucas and Ottis Toole took credit for killing the unidentified girl in the corn field. At the time, Lucas claimed to have killed over 100 people. Toole often accompanied Lucas on his killing sprees. At the time, Toole was serving time in a Florida state prison, and Lucas was on death row in Texas. The two serial killers claimed they were together when they killed the girl in the cornfield. Toole said he picked up the girl in a park near Philadelphia and traveled with her for a while before he took her out in the cornfield off Route 20 and shot her twice. Authorities were not able to account for the whereabouts of either Lucas or Toole during the time of the murder. Both had been seen in New York State several months before the murder.

Serial killer Chris Wilder was also looked at as a suspect. What sparked investigators interest was Wilder's fas*cination with racing cars. The Livingston County victim's jacket was designed to look like a racing jacket. Wilder was known to be in the area and hiding from the police at the time of the killing. Wilder was, however, killed before the police got a chance to talk to him.

Several truckers also called in with information about a young girl who was traveling and catching rides where she could. One trucker swore he saw the girl the night before she was murdered trying to hitch a ride to Boston from a nearby truck stop.

Police have followed up over 10,000 leads, all to no avail.
The girl's fingerprints were sent to FBI headquarters, but her prints weren't on file.

Jane Doe rests in Dansville, New York. The inscription says, "Lest we forget an unidentified girl. November 9. 1979. And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

Jewlery
The victim was wearing a necklace, made with silver beads and three small turquoise stones, one resembling a bird. The necklace was probably homemade-possibly native American- but the best detectives could figure was that it was made somewhere in the Southwest.
The victim was also wearing two key chains that were attached to the front belt loops of her jeans. One key chain, in the shape of a heart, was inscribed, "He who holds the Key can open my heart." The other key chain held the key that fit the small silver heart. The key chains could have been bought in almost any roadside gift shop.

Additional Case Information
Locale of Region
Caledonia, NY is located in the Finger Lakes region of the state and is close in proximity to the Canadian border. Some theories about the victim's identity include the possibility that she was not American, but Canadian. Searches of the Canadian missing persons' databases have not provided any information on a possible ID match for this victim. Route 20 runs parallel to Interstate 90. The crime scene was just past the bifur*cation of Routes 5 and 20 on the south side of the road. On the north side, a small pull-off for truckers and motorists offered a rest area for travelers. Tanned Complexion of the Victim
She had tan lines, suggesting that she had recently lain in the sun in a halter top. Tanning salons were not common in 1979, it is believed that she had recently vacationed somewhere tropical or was from a region more conducive to tanning in November. Furthermore, the victim's hair was lightly frosted in the front, a hairstyle popular on the beach. Clothing Manufacturer
Auto Sports Products. The jackets were a one-shot promotional gimmick. There was no way to track where they had gone after they were distributed.
One caller told investigators that she thought the victim's shoes were popular in the Venjiont area during the late 1970s.

Livingston County Sheriff's Office 585-243-7120

Link
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1ufny.html

i saw her case on doe and ive always wonderd about who she was. im sure she has a mother, father, brother, sister and so forth looking for her or someone who loved her.. is it possible shes not even from the us or canada and that she came from overseas. to ny for a better life? also the jewelry that she was wearing did they look into local jewelers? perhaps somene who made jewelry and had a small shop localy in ny or canada or even in the southwest. i make jewelry and i noticed that the jewelry that was on doe looked to be of handmade, and something that might not have been massed produced ex for a big department store. discount chain like walmart/target. and they were right about her heart chain it looked fake thus being in alot of gas/ trucker stops

Where is Venjiont??
i looked it up myself at yahoo, hotmail. and google and the only thing that pulled up was one brief info with the link which is the case that is located on doe. perhaps the spelling of the place was misspelled and no one looked into the misspelling of the place. i also did a search on venjiont canada, and ny and came up empty still brought up the doe case. hmm

The information in my initial post came directly from the Doenetwork file on this child. Although there are some computer induced "typos" in the post, the word "Venjiont" is as it appeared. I looked it up in a very detailed atlas, and could not find it. It is probably a typo on the Doenetwork. It would have been nice if the shoes in question could have been pictured.

what about contacting the le involved with her case

i went to a website for all towns and cities in new york and these were the only v towns/cities i could find non of them sound like the town that is posted on doe but.. this one VERDOY could be it im just taking a whild guess. beacuse of the way i pronounce the doe listed town and this one

VAIL MILLS
VAILS GATE
VALATIE
VALHALLA
VALLEY COTTAGE
VALLEY FALLS
VALLEY MILLS
VALLEY STREAM
VALLEY STRM
VALLONIA SPRINGS
VALOIS
VAN BUREN
VAN BUREN BAY
VAN BUREN BAY
VAN BUREN POINT
VAN BUREN PT
VAN COTT
VAN DEUSENVILLE
VAN ETTEN
VAN HORNESVILLE
VAN HORNESVLE
VARYSBURG
VENETIAN SHORES
VENICE
VENICE CENTER
VERBANK
VERDOY
VERMILLION
VERMONTVILLE
VERNON
VERNON CENTER
VERNON VALLEY
VERONA
VERONA BEACH
VERPLANCK
VERSAILLES
VESPER
VESTAL
VICTOR
VICTORY MILLS
VIENNA
VILLAGE
VIRGIL
VISA
VISCHER FERRY
VLY COTTAGE
VOLNEY
VOORHEESVILLE

smile22 said:
i looked it up myself at yahoo, hotmail. and google and the only thing that pulled up was one brief info with the link which is the case that is located on doe. perhaps the spelling of the place was misspelled and no one looked into the misspelling of the place. i also did a search on venjiont canada, and ny and came up empty still brought up the doe case. hmm
Keep in mind, this tip was called in, and the spelling (indeed, the word itself) may be a product of the person who transcribed the call. It could be Vermont, or Virginia (someone speaking with a deep accent?) or something else all together. From the description, the shoes remind me of "moon shoes" or "moonwalkers" or some such name given to shoes which were popular in the senventies-the soles were rippled and left an imprint like those of the astronauts that walked on the moon. My older sis had a pair or two.

I live near the location where she was found.. but I was born in 1980.

Do you think that this case will ever be solved??? It's really sad.
I think I'll take a drive out to her grave this summer.

Thanks for the detail on this one Richard. I am new to this. As you said, there were no signs of sexual assault---but was a rape kit done by chance? Also, do you know if any evidence was collected from the victim that would be potentially susceptible to DNA testing? The reason I am asking is because this description bears some striking resemblences to another murder in Florida in 1982. (Actually 2 murders in Florida---1981 and 1982.) However they did involve sexual assault. A 38 caliber was used and the victims were shot in the head near a road and dragged out of sight. Both were committed on Feb 14 (Valentine's day) on two consecutive years and the perpetrator was visiting the area. He was there to attend the Daytona 500. The murderer in these cases is currently on death row, but I have a gut feeling that he committed more murders than the two that are known. He was 38 years old at the time of the 1982 murder. One of his victims was 17, the other was 27. One of his victims had light brown hair that was frosted. I'm not sure about the other. Both involved abduction. He was a native of Nashville TN. He was part Native American and was reportedly interested in Native American history---he had hiked the trail of tears previously.

Mullins said:
Thanks for the detail on this one. I am new to this. As you said, there were no signs of sexual assault---but was a rape kit done by chance? Also, do you know if any evidence was collected from the victim that would be potentially susceptible to DNA testing? The reason I am asking is because this description bears some striking resemblences to another murder in Floriday in 1982. (Actually 2 murders in Florida---1981 and 1982.) However they did involve sexual assault. A 38 caliber was used and the victims were shot in the head near a road and dragged out of sight. Both were committed on Feb 14 (Valentine's day) on two consecutive years and the perpetrator was visiting the area. He was there to attend the Daytona 500. The murderer in these cases is currently on death row, but I have a gut feeling that he committed more murders than the two that are known. He was 38 years old at the time of the murders and one of his victims was 17, the other was 27. He was a native of Nashville TN.
Do you have details on this individual on death row?

It's interesting to note that the Watkins Glen U.S. Grand Prix was held on October 7th, 1979, 2 days before her body was discovered in the field. She was wearing a man's racing-themed jacket. Watkins Glen is roughly 2-2 1/2 hours southeast of Caledonia. She had recently spent some time in a sunny climate, based on the fact that her skin was tanned. Just a thought.

Serial murderer Christopher Wilder was considered a possible suspect in this case. He was into racing, and was known to have been in the area at the time. He was killed by police before anyone had a chance to question him about this case.

Thanks for your quick response. Yes I do have information about the individual on death row. His name is Roy Clifton Swafford. According to the serial murder profiling information, he appears to be a hedonistic serial killer---the information I have read indicates that they travel out of their hometowns to commit the murders....I don't know if there would be any way to find out if he was in the NY area during that time.

Mullins said:
Thanks for the detail on this one Richard. I am new to this. As you said, there were no signs of sexual assault---but was a rape kit done by chance? Also, do you know if any evidence was collected from the victim that would be potentially susceptible to DNA testing? The reason I am asking is because this description bears some striking resemblences to another murder in Florida in 1982. (Actually 2 murders in Florida---1981 and 1982.) However they did involve sexual assault. A 38 caliber was used and the victims were shot in the head near a road and dragged out of sight. Both were committed on Feb 14 (Valentine's day) on two consecutive years and the perpetrator was visiting the area. He was there to attend the Daytona 500. The murderer in these cases is currently on death row, but I have a gut feeling that he committed more murders than the two that are known. He was 38 years old at the time of the 1982 murder. One of his victims was 17, the other was 27. One of his victims had light brown hair that was frosted. I'm not sure about the other. Both involved abduction. He was a native of Nashville TN. He was part Native American and was reportedly interested in Native American history---he had hiked the trail of tears previously.
It sounds as if these cases might very well be related by the circumstances mentioned. Your mention that this guy was interested in Native American Lore might also tie in with the style of jewlry that the girl was wearing, which were believed to be possibly of Southwest American Indian design or make.

Links to racing and to Florida might also provide valuable clues, given the racing jacket and extensive sun tan of the girl. A waitress in Lima, NY stated that she had seen the girl, and that would have meant that the girl and her killer were heading in a generally easterly direction just prior to the murder. But that might indicate only that they could have been coming from the west or south prior to the restaurant stop.

To answer your question about the rape kit, I do not have that information, but I would think it a very good probability that such a test may have been done. Careful x-rays of teeth and bones had been done, as well as an autopsey which determined cause of death. It surprises me that the medical examiner could not come up with a closer estimate of age, given the bone x-rays.

I think that you have some pretty interesting information, and I urge you to contact the authorities in New York with it.

OK, I will do that. I will use the phone number of the county Sheriff that you posted in your original message. Thank you.

the waitress said she saw her the nite before in the dinner or the day before. was she alone. did anyone dine with her. were there any suspicus people around. do u think she was hitchhikeing? now that u mention florida im going to go into all the missing reports on doe that were filed for missing women/teens in that time period
check out these cases on doe the only people missing from 79 well there was one more but she was missing in december
49DFFL
and
366DFFL

i dont see any connections but worth checking out did anyone think to look at females in california as well

do u think that they are the same ohio and ny not a big diffrence in distance location wise. it didnt list what she was wearing when she went missing that would help alot and narrow it down

Not much info to go on from this one unfortunately. But I see a resemblence...

MGCastillo.jpg

Gonzalez Castillo, circa 1979

Monica Gonzalez Castillo
Missing since 1979 from Queretaro, Mexico
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0'' (155 cm)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark auburn, curly hair; light brown eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Monica was last seen in 1979 in Queretaro, Mexico

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Procuraduria General de la Republica
01-800-00-252-00
53-46-01-00

Agency Case Number: 68/POV/98 Source Information:
Procuraduria General de la Republica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online