Stay Dog Protects Infant

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/05/09/dog.baby.ap/index.html

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- A newborn baby abandoned in a Kenyan forest was saved by a stray dog who apparently carried her across a busy road and through a barbed wire fence to a shed where the infant was discovered nestled with a litter of puppies, witnesses said Monday.

The baby girl, named "Angel" by hospital workers, was clad in a tattered shirt and wrapped in a plastic bag when the dog found her Friday, according to Aggrey Mwalimu, owner of the shed where the baby was discovered in a poor neighborhood near the Ngong Forest in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi.

"When the dog picked up the baby in a dirty bag, it came and dropped her behind the wooden building where the dog has its puppies," Mwalimu told The Associated Press Monday.

The 7-pound, 4-ounce infant was taken to a hospital and "is doing well, responding to treatment. She is stable ... she is on antibiotics," said Hannah Gakuo, spokeswoman of the Kenyatta National Hospital.

The baby was found after two children reported hearing an infant's cries near their wood-and-corrugated-metal shack.

"I followed them outside and we started looking around the compound and a nearby plot," said Mary Adhiambo, the children's mother.

They eventually found the tan mixed-breed dog lying protectively with a puppy beside the mud-splattered baby wrapped in a torn black shirt, Adhiambo said. The short-haired dog with light brown eyes has no name, residents said.

More at link . . .

Casshew said:
I think I've heard more than enough already :doh: :laugh: :waitasec:

Someone put that baby in a plastic bag and tried to murder her. This dog found her and added her to her puppies. I think that's a miracle. :) :) :)

Jeana (DP) said:
Someone put that baby in a plastic bag and tried to murder her. This dog found her and added her to her puppies. I think that's a miracle. :) :) :)

I hope that family takes the dog in and names her Angel. What a wonderful ending to what was meant to be a murder.

Bless the maternal instinct! The sweet Mama was just doing what came naturally, taking care of babies. Some dogs are very maternal - have adopted all manner of orphaned babies and raised them.
Sadly in this part of the world babies and dogs are expendable. The dog is a homeless mutt, and the baby was left to die - both situations due mainly to abject poverty.
I hope SOMEONE will take in the mother dog and her pup(s) and the orphaned baby and give them all a home. It's very sad that such an extraordinary animal is herself homeless and hungry and yet went to so much trouble to save a baby.
A Mother's love is a marvelous thing!
What a great Mother's Day" story about a different (but still worthy) "mom".

golfmom said:
It's sad to think that the dog had better maternal instincts.
I know, at least the dog showed the responsibility, nurturing and kindness/love that Angel's birth mother didn't!
I read an update that baby Angel is getting lots of people coming to adopt her. She is also helping other babies who have been abandoned the same way she was - getting the story out is the positive part of what happened. People are also donating things to her and what is left over will go to other abandoned babies and children. The dog's puppies all died, but she is receiving vet care and food also - they gave her a Kenyan name that means "savior". The dog doing this "good deed" will help all dogs in Kenya as well. People will be more inclined to view a stray dog in a positive way and they will get treated better. Hopefully this will end up a "happy" ending story - unlike so many we have read lately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back