In Need of XP

sharon25

Reaction score
I am in need of windows XP.
My ex-boyfriend took the disk when
we broke up, and now I have reinstall it. :doh:

Hi Why do you have to reinstall? Have you uninstalled yet?... If it's just spyware or virus problems ...maybe even system restorwe will help

sharon25 said:
I am in need of windows XP.
My ex-boyfriend took the disk when
we broke up, and now I have reinstall it. :doh:
Why can't he burn you a copy? Can you tell him that you need a copy for backup purposes?

We had a rather nasty breakup,
before we had broken up he helped me build
my computer, as he does that for a living.
He set up the whole thing, as I know little about
some of the settings.

About 3 months after we broke up, I noticed
I was getting more and more spyware warnings from my
adaware program. So I decided to go ahead and
install Service pack 2----big mistake.

Apparently I had something called TV media on my
computer even though I never saw anything
like that.
Now my computer won't let me start in safe mode.
It would try to boot up and the stop and reboot before getting
anywhere, so I changed the settings to allow me to see
the error code and I got this "Stop: c0000135" and something about
winserv was not found. So I looked it up.
I tried following the ways to fix this problem,
however, the settings that my ex had my computer at
don't allow me to use recovery console.
He didn't have it so that it saved the computer in a spot
before you download something.
Know what I am trying to say?? *lol*
Hope so, Cause I sorta lost myself there!!! *LOL*

Anyhow, I took my hard drive out of my computer (which was a pain in the butt all by itself) and put it in my mom's computer to try to fix it.
I still can't find any tv media on my hard drive. and I can't get into the windows settings on it.

Any suggestions???
my ex at least had my hard drive partitioned so that
windows is one part and my stuff on another
and I did go ahead and take off all my pictures
and put them on my mom's computer.

Thanks for reading!
sharon

nanandjim said:
Why can't he burn you a copy? Can you tell him that you need a copy for backup purposes?
we don't speak to each other.
he's not a nice exboyfriend.

jime23 said:
Hi I'll try to help later i'm going to sleep now i work 3rd shift so i'll try tonight
thanks so much!!
goodnight

I've tried doing all of that, except for the reinstall, since I don't have the disk.
I can't get into reg-edit when I put my hard drive in my mom's computer.

It only shows my Moms registry.

:(

sharon25 said:
I've tried doing all of that, except for the reinstall, since I don't have the disk.
I can't get into reg-edit when I put my hard drive in my mom's computer.

It only shows my Moms registry.

:(
Hello Sharon,

not sure if this will work but might be worth a try. When you say you put your hard drive into your mom's computer I assume that your mom's drive shows as the c drive? If that the case go th my computer on her machine and see what letter windows has assigned to the drive you added. Let's assume it's drive E just for explanation purposes. Go to start, run and type in E:\regedit and that might open the registry editor on your disk and not your mom's.

Remember I use E as an example, windows might assign a different letter to your drive.

This link might also be of use to you VIEWKEYXP LINK

To avoid having to reactivate Windows Xp you can read this article which tells you how to backup and restore your activation status and then restore it after you reinstall windows xp. Backup / Restore XP Activation

Hope that helps.

blaize

blaize said:
Hello Sharon,

not sure if this will work but might be worth a try. When you say you put your hard drive into your mom's computer I assume that your mom's drive shows as the c drive? If that the case go th my computer on her machine and see what letter windows has assigned to the drive you added. Let's assume it's drive E just for explanation purposes. Go to start, run and type in E:\regedit and that might open the registry editor on your disk and not your mom's.

Remember I use E as an example, windows might assign a different letter to your drive.

This link might also be of use to you VIEWKEYXP LINK

To avoid having to reactivate Windows Xp you can read this article which tells you how to backup and restore your activation status and then restore it after you reinstall windows xp. Backup / Restore XP Activation

Hope that helps.

blaize
I didn't think of that!
Thanks, I'll try that later on tonight and let you know if it works!
keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

sharon25 said:
I didn't think of that!
Thanks, I'll try that later on tonight and let you know if it works!
keep your fingers crossed for me!!!
If that doesn't work just open the windows folder on your drive and click regedit.exe.

blaize

Ok,

I have my hard drive back in my mom's computer.
I was able to get into the registry but I could not
find ANY of the tv media files that I thought would be there.

So if tv. media wasn't the cause then Why do I get that error???
I've scanned it for adware and nothing major has came up.
I've also scanned it repeatedly with different programs for the
possibility of a virus, and again it came back clean.

I really Don't have the $100 or so bucks to shell out
to gu buy XP!! grr this is sooooooo frustrating!!

:banghead:

sharon25 said:
Ok,

I have my hard drive back in my mom's computer.
I was able to get into the registry but I could not
find ANY of the tv media files that I thought would be there.

So if tv. media wasn't the cause then Why do I get that error???
I've scanned it for adware and nothing major has came up.
I've also scanned it repeatedly with different programs for the
possibility of a virus, and again it came back clean.

I really Don't have the $100 or so bucks to shell out
to gu buy XP!! grr this is sooooooo frustrating!!

:banghead:
Hey Sharon,

this might work but no promises.

TV Media is a third party advertising program from Total Velocity Corporation so we're going to manually try to remove it.

Let's try starting your computer in safe mode first and see if we can bypass some of the junk.

Please be aware that by starting in safe mode you'll only have access to basic drivers and files.

Start your computer but before windows launches press the F8 key this should allow your system to start in safe mode.

Once in safe mode you should see your desktop and your start menu but they might look a little different to what you're used to.

Click Start, click Run and then type regedit and hit ok.

If you can't start in safe mode bring your drive over to your momm's and do the regedit steps on her machine by finding which drive letter windows assigns to your hard drive and then go to start, run and type E:\windows\regedit. Alternatively navigate to the windows folder on your drive from your mom's my computer or windows explorer and click regedit.

Remember I'm just using E:\ as an example windows might have assigned a different drive letter.

Next steps and these are the important ones Sharon, so maybe print this post out so you can refer to it as you work.

Find these registry subkeys.

(Depending on your system you may have all or some of these keys. Its very important to remove any of the keys you find because if any are left the removal process will fail)

Delete the TV Media entry for each subkey if the entry exists.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Next Step

Find and then delete these registry subkeys if they exist on your system:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{707E6F76-9FFB-4920-A976-EA101271BC25}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{707E6F76-9FFB-4920-A976-EA101271BC25}

Once you've removed all the T.V Media keys close your registry editor and restart your computer in safe mode again. If on your mom's machine just restart normally and follow the steps on.

Once you can see your desktop Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then hit OK
or just type E:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl if on your mom' machine, and then hit OK.

Remember I'm just using E:\ as an example windows might have assigned a different drive letter.

Remove T.V. Media

On your desktop, double-click My Computer.

Find and delete the TV Media folder.

(By default, this folder is located in the C:\Program Files folder.If you brought your drive back to your mom's computer it'll be E:\program files or whatever drive letter windows assigned.)

Restart your computer normally. (Naturally you'll have to put your own drive back and restart normally to check that this worked.)

If T.V. Media (TvMedia.tvmbho) is still on your system after you restart step through the instructions carefully again.

This information was taken from the microsoft Kb article located here
you might like to read the knowledge base article first because I've just condensed the steps involved to manually delete the troublesome T.V Media keys and files.
blaize

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back