CANADA Canada - Jake Just, 18, Midland, Ont, 30 Oct 1998

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2010/11/24/justs-mother-pleased-by-search

"The teenager had been at a bush party near Midland's Sunnyside neighbourhood.

A friend said Jake, who had been drinking, fled into the woods after being chased by a local resident as the party ended.

"When you're drinking you don't always make the best decisions," Webster said.

When friends began calling the house the next day looking for Jake, his mother knew something was wrong. She reported him missing that evening, almost 24 hours after he was last seen.

Police searches in 1998 and 2000 - Webster was involved in both - found nothing. Extensive grid patterns, search helicopters with heat-sensing technology, police divers and cadaver-sniffing dogs have been used in the bog area where Jake was last seen.

A nearby swamp was dragged without discovering any clues.

"It's very perplexing," said Webster, a police officer for more than 30 years. "It bothers me, the fact that we can't get any closure for the family, and ourselves."

It's cases like Jake's and that of Christina Calayca - a 20-year-old woman who went for a jog Aug. 6, 2007, at a provincial park near Thunder Bay and never returned - that keep Webster up at night.

"Sometimes you almost think a spaceship from Mars came down and plucked these people up," Webster said. "Obviously, they are out there and something has happened."

http://www.police.midland.on.ca/news/jake-nicholas-just-missing-person#.VD8IF8kjSM4

"The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a reward in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the disappearance and/or death of JAKE NICHOLAS JUST of MIDLAND, Ontario.

DESCRIPTION:

DOB: December 15, 1979
HEIGHT: 6ft 2in
WEIGHT: 170 lbs.
HAIR: Blonde
EYES: Green
RACE: Caucasian
CLOTHING: Last seen wearing an olive green and beige coloured long sleeve T-shirt, black D.V.S. running shoes, size 11, and carrying a black knapsack, brand name Jaguar.

CASE #: 955-10-122-99

If you have seen Jake JUST or know any information about his whereabouts, please contact us, your local police service or CrimeStoppers."

rbbm.

Intriguing article and statement from 2011..
rbbm.

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2011/10/26/jake-just-gone-but-not-for-forgotten

"On the night of his disappearance, the six-foot-two teen left the house to attend a party with friends.

He never returned home.

Debbie Just's last vision of Jake remains crystal clear. They said goodbye and he walked away in an olive green and beige long-sleeve shirt. He was carrying a black Jaguar knapsack.

Mother and son were very close and communication between them was always open. When he didn't return home that night, the frantic mother called police to report her son missing; she intuitively knew something was wrong.

The night before Halloween, known as Devil's Night, in 1998 there was a gathering in Midland's Sunnyside neighbourhood. Jake and his friends went to the party at the residence near a thick wooded area.

Sometime before midnight, Jake left the party with a friend and headed home. They separated, the friend preferring to stay to the lighted roadway while Jake took a short-cut trail through the bush.

He has never been seen again.

Police remain on the case, and will not turn away any new clues or tips regardless how unlikely or bizarre they may be."

These guys disappeared under similar circumstances. And at Hallowe'en, too. It makes one wonder if the cases are related. Thanks for this thread, dotr!!

The bush he disappeared into isn't exactly Algonquin Park, from what I recall. It seems that he vanished into a woodlot that separates two neighbourhoods or subdivisions. A boggy area was apparently searched, but turned up nothing.

Hmm I know this case really well i live just half hour away ..This case has been on tv and other web sites It's kinda odd that its come up on here outta the blue ..something seems kinda well its making me wonder HMMMMMMM something is up here .Dont know just what that is but something is up..

Hmm I know this case really well i live just half hour away ..This case has been on tv and other web sites It's kinda odd that its come up on here outta the blue ..something seems kinda well its making me wonder HMMMMMMM something is up here .Dont know just what that is but something is up..

This bit from a link in my post up thread, is rather curious, what do you think might be hinted at ??

"Police remain on the case, and will not turn away any new clues or tips regardless how unlikely or bizarre they may be."

Have you heard any rumours CanManEh from around the neighbourhood, do teens usually go out into the forest on Halloween around there?

No i havn't heard anything thats why his case cpming up at all is so weird ya you can say its because of the timing and halloween but theres many cases of missing people in and around that area and on there date when it comes up you dont hear to much about it so thats what makes me wonder why now why jake its just very very outta the blue .As for me I havnt heard one word..

https://www.opp.ca/index.php?id=115&entryid=56bc793a8f94ac231fc4fde7
attachment.php

[h=2]Jake Nicholas JUST[/h]$50,000 REWARD
The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a reward in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the disappearance and/or death of JAKE NICHOLAS JUST of MIDLAND, Ontario.
On October 30, 1998, Jake JUST, aged 18 years, attended a party at a residence in the north end of the Town of MIDLAND. He was last seen walking home from the party then separating from his friends to take a short cut through a wooded area. An extensive search of the area turned up negative.
DESCRIPTION:
HEIGHT: 6’ 2”
CLOTHING: Last seen wearing an olive green and beige coloured long sleeve T-shirt, black D.V.S. running shoes, size 11, and carrying a black knapsack, brand name “Jaguar”.

Attachments

• entrydata.php.jpg
    entrydata.php.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 87
Hoping and praying that answers are found soon for Jake and his family. Saddens my heart.

Sending prayers of love and comfort to his loved ones.

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2008/10/31/decade-after-disappearance-jake-justs-fate-unknown
Decade after disappearance, Jake Just's fate unknown

SHARON WEATHERALL, OSPREY NEWS NETWORK
Friday, October 31, 2008
Approximately 200 people were interviewed; kids handed out brochures and posters, while volunteers, neighbours and friends searched the outlying perimeters of the police search zone. Inside the yellow tape, cadaver and live search canines sniffed their way through every area they could access. Aerial searches turned up nothing. There was no evidence linking Just to the area -- no knap sack, coat, shirt or even cigarette butts. Three years later, another review and search related to the case turned up nothing.

"The search area was a nasty stretch of geography which posed significant challenges even to the professionals. There were questions about the marshy areas. Was it all searched?" said Rettinger.

This is a pretty unique case... It is one of only two or three in Ontario with similar characteristics which have undergone this comprehensive of an investigation with an absolute lack of evidence."The whole idea of someone disappearing off the face of the earth is an unreal concept," said Murphy.
rbbm.

Wondering why Jake brought a knapsack to a party, did it contain refreshments for the party, or was he planning on going someplace else after the party? Did he leave it at the house if/ after it was empty?
If he was going somewhere else, perhaps a secret rendezvous, could that be why he said he would take the dark route in the woods alone as opposed to walking with a friend on a lighted path back home?
If he became lost in the dark woods, one might expect to find some of his dropped items, imo.
Was Jake known to be someone who climbed trees?
speculation and bumping, imo.

Interested in exactly what the friend said who apparently walked in lighted area when Jake went into woods Had they been friends from childhood? I feel he (the friend) holds a key to this mystery.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

What I am getting at is I would like to know what Jake and his friend discussed right before he turned off onto the trail.

http://www.police.midland.on.ca/news/jake-nicholas-just-missing-person#.WIvmgn8-TIU
attachment.php

The Government of the Province of Ontario is offering a reward in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) responsible for the disappearance and/or death of JAKE NICHOLAS JUST of MIDLAND, Ontario.

DESCRIPTION:

HEIGHT: 6ft 2in
CLOTHING: Last seen wearing an olive green and beige coloured long sleeve T-shirt, black D.V.S. running shoes, size 11, and carrying a black knapsack, brand name Jaguar.
CASE #: 955-10-122-99

Attachments

• jakejust.jpg
    jakejust.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 49
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2010/11/24/justs-mother-pleased-by-search

"The teenager had been at a bush party near Midland's Sunnyside neighbourhood.

A friend said Jake, who had been drinking, fled into the woods after being chased by a local resident as the party ended.

"When you're drinking you don't always make the best decisions," Webster said.

When friends began calling the house the next day looking for Jake, his mother knew something was wrong. She reported him missing that evening, almost 24 hours after he was last seen.

Police searches in 1998 and 2000 - Webster was involved in both - found nothing. Extensive grid patterns, search helicopters with heat-sensing technology, police divers and cadaver-sniffing dogs have been used in the bog area where Jake was last seen.

A nearby swamp was dragged without discovering any clues.

"It's very perplexing," said Webster, a police officer for more than 30 years. "It bothers me, the fact that we can't get any closure for the family, and ourselves."

It's cases like Jake's and that of Christina Calayca - a 20-year-old woman who went for a jog Aug. 6, 2007, at a provincial park near Thunder Bay and never returned - that keep Webster up at night.

"Sometimes you almost think a spaceship from Mars came down and plucked these people up," Webster said. "Obviously, they are out there and something has happened."

Hi,

So - he was "chased by a local resident" ?

I need to find original documents and get reading up on this more.

My heart goes out to Jake's family. I can't imagine what they have been going through from then to now.

So -- he was "chased by a local resident"?

I need to find original documents and get reading up on this more.

Bumping for clarification/confirmation about bolded claim. I have now read two different stories: (1) His friend last saw him when JJ chose to take a shortcut (unlit and perhaps forested) instead of sticking with his friend; and now, (2) witnessed (by aformentioned friend?) being chased by a local resident.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2010/11/23/police-to-search-swamp-area-again-for-jake-just-2
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2013/10/28/its-been-15-years-since-jake-just-disappeared-in-midland
Sometime before midnight, Jake left the party with a friend and headed home. They separated, the friend preferring to stay to the lighted roadway while Jake took a short-cut trail through the bush.

He has never been seen again.
Police remain on the case, and will not turn away any new clues or tips regardless how unlikely or bizarre they may be.
In the past, Rettinger has met with and followed up with calls from psychics, to no avail. Earlier this year, he was eager to communicate with mediums Dennison and Wynne-Rider when they offered assistance.
The pair has been involved with police work in the past, sharing psychic tips and information received through psychic readings.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/jake-just-missing-17-years-sharon-weatherall
The high profile case has also attracted the attention of mediums and psychics from across the nation and farther. In recent years Debbie Just has gained some comfort through turning to psychics and trying to reach her son through communicating with them. Jackie Dennison from Rescue Mediums and her associate Steve Furlong at Feathers Academy in England have come to know Debbie over the past few years and have provided her with details of what they ‘feel’ happened to her son. In this sense she has come to believe that Jake is no longer alive.

The two gifted mediums became committed using maps, dowsing with pendulums and other forms of techniques. They, along with an assistant - Edna Dargie, have even gone to the Sunnyside woods with me to retrace the steps Jake took on the night he went missing. That experience was not only exhilarating but informative. It was as if Jake were there speaking to them and guiding them along the path he took then eventually exited from. Both Jackie and Steve felt that Jake left the woods before he went missing and made it on foot to a nearby road where he was possibly struck by a vehicle – then taken from the area.

http://www.simcoe.com/opinion-story/6927650-sad-to-lose-one-of-jake-just-s-greatest-advocates/
Oct 24 2016
[h=1]Sad to lose one of Jake Just’s greatest advocates[/h]
I’m sad that Sharon’s family and friends have lost such a brave and compassionate person. I’m glad Sharon is no longer suffering. I hope one day we find a cure for all cancers.

I truly will miss her voice on Jake’s behalf, but maybe now she knows where Jake is.
Thank you, Sharon. A deep, sad goodbye.
Debbie Just, Coldwater

Midland’s Jake Just still missing without a trace

https://www.simcoe.com/news-story/7410677-cold-case-midland-s-jake-just-still-missing-without-a-trace/

“People would just phone me up and tell me things. It was hard to deal with. For someone to phone and say, “Your son’s in a freezer in Sunnyside. He’s in the process of dying, but if you can get to him by morning …”

Just recorded every call and police followed up on every lead no matter how trivial or bizarre, but still nothing. There’s not a trace of Jake Just after several ground searches and hundreds of police interviews since Oct. 30, 1998.

“There’s nothing substantial that we are working on now,” the veteran Midland police officer said. “We’re not any closer than we were in 1998 to be totally honest.”

Hampered by a possible head injury and under the influence of alcohol, did he lose his way and stumble into a boggy swamp, where he was swallowed up by so-called quicksand? After an eight-day initial search and others since, Rettinger doesn’t think so.

“He was carrying a backpack and we’ve not recovered articles in that area,” he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back