News from Golders Green: 2400 year old urn damaged by thieves seeking Freud's ashes

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Thieves try to steal Sigmund Freud's ashes in London. (AFP)
London — Thieves tried to steal the ashes of the founder of psychoanalysis Sigmund Freud and his wife from a crematorium in London, severely damaging a 2,400-year-old urn that housed their remains, police said Wednesday.
---
"This was a despicable act by a callous thief," said Detective Constable Daniel Chandler of the Metropolitan Police.
---
Freud died in September 1939 and his ashes were placed in the urn in Golders Green Crematorium near his home. Martha Freud's ashes were added after her death in 1951.

Freud was given the urn -- which depicts Dionysus, the Greek god of wine and ecstasy -- by his close friend and fellow psychoanalyst Princess Marie Bonaparte.
---
The crematorium opened in 1901 and contains the remains of many famous figures including Bram Stoker, the author of "Dracula", and soul singer Amy Winehouse.

Earlier this month it was also the location for the funeral of Ronnie Biggs, the most famous member of the gang who carried out the Great Train Robbery in 1963.
more at the link

So why does anybody want Freud's ashes? No doubt there is an interesting subconscious reason stemming from their early childhood experiences.

I hope these guys are charged as if they had stolen the urn, which in the US would be a felony based on worth, I'd think.

I also wonder if the urn was shaped like a penis.

BTW, great line from Zelig;

[Zelig thinks he's a psychiatrist.]

Leonard Zelig: I worked with Freud in Vienna. We broke over the concept of penis envy. Freud felt that it should be limited to women.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back