GUILTY VA - Karen Selbe, 56, dismembered in her Vinton home, 26 Jan 2014

Aeronomy

Reaction score
Noticed this when searching for updates on Alexis Murphy

January 28th, 2014

Search warrants paint a grisly scene on Cedar Avenue on Sunday, when Dean Austin Selbe was arrested and charged with killing his mother, Karen J. Selbe.

Once the landlord entered the locked apartment, a police officer went into a bedroom and saw blood on the bed comforter and then found “a body with a missing head,” Detective Brandon Hill wrote in the warrant.

Police seized multiple steak knives, scissors, stained clothing, a spiral notebook, a laptop computer and a sword, among other items, according to the warrant.

Police took multiple hammers, mallets, additional knives, a metal wrench, an ice pick, a cellphone and liquid samples from a bowl on their second visit to the residence.

In July 2011, Selbe was arrested and charged with attempted second-degree murder after police said he had tried to strangle his mother. Selbe pleaded guilty in January 2012 to attempted malicious wounding and was sentenced to five years in prison, with all but one year suspended, according to court records. The records also show he was on probation at the time of his arrest on Sunday.

The full article can be found here => http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/roanoke_county/article_43e1b86e-88a0-11e3-ae2f-001a4bcf6878.html

What a sad case... And grisly, too..
I have to ask... Was this poor woman's head found?

:(

I didn't see anything about it, but I have no idea. I wonder what he could have done with it. To behead someone...ugh.

talk about the ultimate motherhood nightmare....:eek: :eek:

Noticed this when searching for updates on Alexis Murphy

January 28th, 2014

Search warrants paint a grisly scene on Cedar Avenue on Sunday, when Dean Austin Selbe was arrested and charged with killing his mother, Karen J. Selbe.

Once the landlord entered the locked apartment, a police officer went into a bedroom and saw blood on the bed comforter and then found “a body with a missing head,” Detective Brandon Hill wrote in the warrant.

Police seized multiple steak knives, scissors, stained clothing, a spiral notebook, a laptop computer and a sword, among other items, according to the warrant.

Police took multiple hammers, mallets, additional knives, a metal wrench, an ice pick, a cellphone and liquid samples from a bowl on their second visit to the residence.

In July 2011, Selbe was arrested and charged with attempted second-degree murder after police said he had tried to strangle his mother. Selbe pleaded guilty in January 2012 to attempted malicious wounding and was sentenced to five years in prison, with all but one year suspended, according to court records. The records also show he was on probation at the time of his arrest on Sunday.

The full article can be found here => http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/roanoke_county/article_43e1b86e-88a0-11e3-ae2f-001a4bcf6878.html

Sounds like he should never have been released in the first place,
He must have had something against his mother, Also decapitation...wonder if he has mental issue.

Sounds like he should never have been released in the first place,
He must have had something against his mother, Also decapitation...wonder if he has mental issue.

I believe in the article it says something about due to his behavior in jail so far... He has been placed in a special institution/facility/???...

But I believe it has something to do with bizarre behavior...

JMO

Reading between the lines below, it appears ---
--it was not fam or friends' call to LE for a 'welfare check' that brought them to home but
---the landlord had a reason for face to face contact (collect rent? make repair?) and wanted LE there to 'keep the peace.'

JM2cts and I may be wrong. :seeya:

RIP Mrs. Selbe. Prayers to her fam and friends.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"....Vinton police arrived at the duplex in the 300 block of Cedar Avenue about 12:30 p.m. Sunday.
The landlord had requested police presence for safety reasons because one of the residents,
Dean Selbe, had a history of violence, according to a search warrant filed in Roanoke County Circuit Court.
"Once the landlord entered the locked apartment, a police officer went into a bedroom and
saw blood on the bed comforter and then found “a body with a missing head,”
Detective Brandon Hill wrote in the warrant.
Hill wrote that officers immediately cleared the apartment
and found Dean Selbe lying in bed in a second bedroom, presumably asleep.
He was taken into custody."
http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/roanoke_county/article_43e1b86e-88a0-11e3-ae2f-001a4bcf6878.html BBM SBM

Reading between the lines below, it appears ---
--it was not fam or friends' call to LE for a 'welfare check' that brought them to home but
---the landlord had a reason for face to face contact (collect rent? make repair?) and wanted LE there to 'keep the peace.'

JM2cts and I may be wrong. :seeya:

RIP Mrs. Selbe. Prayers to her fam and friends.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"....Vinton police arrived at the duplex in the 300 block of Cedar Avenue about 12:30 p.m. Sunday.
The landlord had requested police presence for safety reasons because one of the residents,
Dean Selbe, had a history of violence, according to a search warrant filed in Roanoke County Circuit Court.
"Once the landlord entered the locked apartment, a police officer went into a bedroom and
saw blood on the bed comforter and then found “a body with a missing head,”
Detective Brandon Hill wrote in the warrant.
Hill wrote that officers immediately cleared the apartment
and found Dean Selbe lying in bed in a second bedroom, presumably asleep.
He was taken into custody."
http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/roanoke_county/article_43e1b86e-88a0-11e3-ae2f-001a4bcf6878.html BBM SBM

Makes sense, Al66pine!

:thumb:

This story is so troubling. In 2011 he tried to kill his mother. I find it peculiar that she would have him living with her after he strangled her. I just don't understand. He clearly demonstrated he wanted to kill her. Jmo

ciao

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/r...cle_d2e87cb6-325f-5775-8dae-b2d25262cc83.html

A Roanoke County judge ruled Friday that the Vinton man accused in the January beheading death of his mother will not be allowed a new sanity evaluation, even if his mental status has deteriorated in recent months as his lawyer had claimed...

County Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Camille Turner opposed lawyer Michael Massey’s motion for a new evaluation, saying Selbe was “essentially shopping around” for another doctor’s opinion...

Selbe has pleaded not guilty to the charge and is due for a five-day jury trial in October.

This story is so troubling. In 2011 he tried to kill his mother. I find it peculiar that she would have him living with her after he strangled her. I just don't understand. He clearly demonstrated he wanted to kill her. Jmo

ciao

Mothers are the queens of denial sometimes. Some go to crazy *advertiser censored* lengths to protect the spawns they gave birth to (with love and greetings to #momofthecentury Cindy Anthony).

October 2015:

A Vinton man who had a troubled childhood and a long history of mental problems was sentenced Wednesday to 60 years in prison for killing his mother by hitting her in the head with a hammer and stabbing her 68 times with a knife while she was sleeping.

Days after the brutal murder in 2014, Dean Austin Selbe used a hacksaw to cut his mother’s head, arms and legs from her body...

Selbe claimed he heard demonic voices that pressured him to commit the crime. This was also two days after Selbe had abruptly stopped smoking marijuana and ingesting pain pills prescribed to his mother.

http://m.roanoke.com/news/crime/roa...c89-7b85-583b-a011-3ca2e4a7a334.html?mode=jqm

Judge James Swanson acknowledged that Selbe, now 30, had lived a difficult life, having been diagnosed with manic depression, personality disorder and bipolar disorder. When he took the witness stand, Selbe also revealed he had been sexually abused by a family acquaintance when he was 7.

Yet Swanson called Selbe a "troubled but extremely dangerous young man" who killed the only person who had been by his side throughout his life.

http://m.richmond.com/news/virginia/article_8530352a-72af-11e5-8b1c-736a9b6e6aeb.html?mode=jqm

Sloppy reporting - bipolar disorder *and* manic depression?! They're the same thing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back