CANADA - Robyn Benson, Brain Dead, 22w Preg, Life Support

Oh no, not again. What a tragedy. Hope he has a lot of support rallying around him and the baby.

Robyn Benson was 22 weeks pregnant when she tragically suffered a brain hemorrhage. Her husband, Dylan, had gone out to get her some Tylenol after she started complaining of a crushing headache, and when he returned Robyn was unconscious on their bathroom floor, but still breathing.

Despite repeated attempts to revive her, doctors discovered blood had leaked in to Robyn’s brain and she would never wake up.

Doctors declared her brain dead, and have kept her alive for the past five weeks until the couple’s unborn baby can be delivered via C-section.

That time will come in about two weeks when their son, who will be called Iver Cohen Benson, will be at or near 34 weeks.

If she was 22 weeks pregnant when she became brain dead and has been on life support for 5 weeks how can the baby be 34 weeks after two more weeks?

Thank you for posting this story. I'm a little confused by the math, as the story says she collapsed at 22 weeks, docs have maintained her for 5 weeks (total 27 weeks), and docs plan to deliver her in 2 weeks at 34 weeks??

Regardless of the math issues, this story sounds very hopeful. The difference between this and the Munoz case is that the fetus was within a week or two of early viability, so the bulk of development had already occurred. It sounds as if she never had a complete cardiac arrest, and while unconscious, was breathing somewhat at the scene. That gives this fetus a fighting chance. The rest of the gestation is still fraught with lots of peril, as is the early weeks, if the baby survives c section.

I'm pulling for this fetus and this family. I hope it works out well for them.

Oh no, not again. What a tragedy. Hope he has a lot of support rallying around him and the baby.

My sentiments exactly!!

If this is what the husband wants I support him 100%

I think I'm just bad at math, lol. Maybe the article gives a better idea as far as the actual timeline ?

I'm not sure how much support he has. He himself is the one who initiated an online fundraiser on his own behalf when it is typically family & friends who spearhead similar efforts (afaik).

From what I've read, RB has more brain stem function than Marlise did which is why this pregnancy & fetus appear to be more stable.

If she was 22 weeks pregnant when she became brain dead and has been on life support for 5 weeks how can the baby be 34 weeks after two more weeks?

Thank you for posting this story. I'm a little confused by the math, as the story says she collapsed at 22 weeks, docs have maintained her for 5 weeks (total 27 weeks), and docs plan to deliver her in 2 weeks at 34 weeks??

Regardless of the math issues, this story sounds very hopeful. The difference between this and the Munoz case is that the fetus was within a week or two of early viability, so the bulk of development had already occurred. It sounds as if she never had a complete cardiac arrest, and while unconscious, was breathing somewhat at the scene. That gives this fetus a fighting chance. The rest of the gestation is still fraught with lots of peril, as is the early weeks, if the baby survives c section.

Hopefully in the near future, there will be other news reports that clarify the math issue. Possibly this is a case of a reporter wanting a 'scoop' so badly that they forgot how to count?

I hope it works out for this miracle baby and his family.

I am sorry for their loss of the mom.

I think I'm just bad at math, lol. Maybe the article gives a better idea as far as the actual timeline ?

I'm not sure how much support he has. He himself is the one who initiated an online fundraiser on his own behalf when it is typically family & friends who spearhead similar efforts (afaik).

From what I've read, RB has more brain stem function than Marlise did which is why this pregnancy & fetus appear to be more stable.

Not your fault, it's the article that is confusing

From reading the fundraising site, it seems that the math is correct. She has been kept alive for 5 weeks (since late Dec) and they are hoping to keep her alive up to 7 weeks more.... until she is 34 weeks.

Not your fault, it's the article that is confusing

Thanks. I was beginning to doubt my trusty calculator (a.k.a. counting on my fingers).

K_Z - Marlise experienced total brain death, including loss of brain stem function, correct ? I assume that is why her pressures were so unstable, not to mention the obvious deterioration of her body.

Robyn Benson was still breathing when she was found. Although her husband has said she is brain dead, media articles have stated that her brain stem is still functioning and her body is not beginning to show signs of deterioration ie. MM, JM.

I wonder if the medical team caring for RB has informed her husband that she will never regain complete consciousness or function, but existing in a PVS ? In my understanding, if her brain stem is still showing perfusion and maintaining her respiratory and cardiac function, that isn't total brain death, is it ?

Thanks. I was beginning to doubt my trusty calculator (a.k.a. counting on my fingers).

K_Z - Marlise experienced total brain death, including loss of brain stem function, correct ? I assume that is why her pressures were so unstable, not to mention the obvious deterioration of her body.

Robyn Benson was still breathing when she was found. Although her husband has said she is brain dead, media articles have stated that her brain stem is still functioning and her body is not beginning to show signs of deterioration ie. MM, JM.

I wonder if the medical team caring for RB has informed her husband that she will never regain complete consciousness or function, but existing in a PVS ? In my understanding, if her brain stem is still showing perfusion and maintaining her respiratory and cardiac function, that isn't total brain death, is it ?

I haven't read any media articles that state her brain stem is still functioning. Most articles seem to get their information off the funding website or his blog which say she is brain dead. Here's the latest article.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/community-rallies-behind-foetus-of-brain-dead-pregnant-woman-1.1669359

At 28 weeks pregnant, Robyn's body is being kept alive on a ventilator but Dylan will eventually be forced to make the hard decision to take his wife off life support.

But hope remains high for the couple’s unborn son, already named Iver, who has been kept alive inside his mother’s womb for five weeks and three days so doctors can perform a risky and rare caesarian section at 34 weeks of pregnancy when the baby has grown enough.

I think it should be a father or family's decision. I thought the TX family should be able to disconnect and I think this family should be able to continue.

I agree. It is difficult to sift thru the terminology in the articles to determine if this lady is completely brain dead, or something less. The husband says she "cant wake up again". Brain death is used elsewhere.

Like everyone else, I have no idea what her condition is. However, if the info that she did not experience cardiac arrest is true, I can extrapolate that the later- term fetus has a much better chance because of that, just knowing about fetomaternal physiology, and uteroplacental perfusion.

They were married less than six months :cry:

Robyn's death was sudden and tragic. I am praying for baby Iver, Dylan and the grandparents-to-be who have lost their daughter...

Robyn & Dylan's wedding.jpg

Very sad.. Another young pregnant woman with a brain hemmorage. I wonder if the pregnancy does anything to bring on this brain hemmorage...or is it just a coincidence?

Very sad.. Another young pregnant woman with a brain hemmorage. I wonder if the pregnancy does anything to bring on this brain hemmorage...or is it just a coincidence?

Marlise Muñoz, they believe, had suffered from a pulmonary embolism - a blood clot in the lungs. Robyn Benson died from a brain hemorrhage - an artery in the brain bursting. They are very different things.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back