GUILTY UT - Aiden Goff, 2, dies of methadone OD, Tooele, 31 Jan 2014

KBL100

Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-serves-methadone-stored-Gatorade-bottle.html

Jill Goff 'served her two-year-old son Aiden a pink liquid in a sippy cup at their home in Tooele, Utah on Friday, thinking it was Gatorade'
When he did not like it, 2 siblings tried it and said it tasted like medicine

Goff realized she had given them the drug but 'was too scared to call 911'

Her son later died and the other 2 children were hospitalized

http://fox13now.com/2014/02/05/utah-mother-charged-with-child-abuse-homicide-after-child-overdoses/

The mother of a 2-year-old boy who died of an apparent overdose on methadone has been formally charged Wednesday with second-degree child abuse homicide.

The charge, which is a felony, was filed against Jill Goff, who is scheduled to make her initial court appearance on February 10 before Judge Adkins.

Mothers FB: https://www.facebook.com/jill.kennedygoff

IIRC on vid clip, reporter said Tooele PD said Jill had no prior record w. them, meaning that PD.
Article says 'no record.' Hmm, no arrests anywhere?

She realized 2 y/o ingested Methadone?!?!?!?
She was too scared to call 911?!?!?!?
She tried to get him to throw up.
She bathed him.
She put him down for nap.
When one of her other children could not wake him, then 911 was called.?!?!?!?

No words, except thinking of little Aiden, fam, friends, LE, EMT, hosp & all involved.

A little off thread but not really....methadone is a modern day scourge IMO. Sooo many people are being given methadone for chronic pain (real, or faked) and I personally know people who get it from shifty doctors. Medicaid pays for it. It zones out these parents with little kids. Mom or dad lays on the couch all day and nobody is watching the little ones. It's disturbing.

I'm wondering if it was hers or the father's? It does seem strange that she put him down for a nap after being so concerned by trying to make him throw up. Poor baby.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if it was hers or the father's? It does seem strange that she put him down for a nap after being so concerned by trying to make him throw up. Poor baby.

http://fox13now.com/2014/02/05/utah-mother-charged-with-child-abuse-homicide-after-child-overdoses/

According to a probable cause statement, Goff told police she stored the methadone in a Gatorade bottle on the floor between her bed and the wall.

I took this to mean it was hers. I guess she could have been "storing" it for the father on the floor between her bed and the wall. They had 5 children. She put it in a sippy cup and passed it around to 3 of the 5. Why be "scared" to call for help unless you got it without prescription? And even then..those are your BABIES!!!! Calling for help would have probably saved his life!

I agree. Whatever happened to putting your kids before yourselves?

We often give methadone to children in our PICU who have spent time under deep sedation in order to treat their conditions. (Think prolonged time on a ventilator / open heart surgery / ECMO). Oral methadone is more like a syrup, and in no way, shape or form would anyone mistake it for Gatorade.

This was intentional- and the baby paid the price.

ETA: It is also quite concentrated, and I would seriously wonder how she got such a volume as to need a Gatorade bottle to store it.

Not to mention - who with young children ever stores a potential poison in a container that can be mistaken for food or drink?

This is just so, so sad.

We often give methadone to children in our PICU who have spent time under deep sedation in order to treat their conditions. (Think prolonged time on a ventilator / open heart surgery / ECMO). Oral methadone is more like a syrup, and in no way, shape or form would anyone mistake it for Gatorade.

ETA: It is also quite concentrated, and I would seriously wonder how she got such a volume as to need a Gatorade bottle to store it.

I agree 100 percent

Your right. I don't see how anyone could mistake methadone for Gatorade.

But I wouldn't wonder to much on how she got it. Because in the town I live in they are now handing it out candy. It's horrible. Two days a week there is a line around the block of people waiting in line to get their methadone.

I hope soon they will realize how many people are starting to die because of it. This is the third child I have heard of who has died from methadone.

My sister was a heroin addict and went to methadone when she got pregant. There was a program at the hospital that took in these moms and monitored their methadone. She was on the tiniest amount they would give. My poor nephew had the most intense withdrawal. It was awful. I don't even understand where she could legally get that much methadone. At the clinics here, they give you the small amount, that's it. It's a THICK syrup. There is no accidental there, it's obviously not Gatorade. Methadone COMES in a bottle. There is no valid reason to put it in another bottle. This stinks, it's not adding up. I find it interesting that all the pictures of the poor child that died of when he is a baby...not a two year old toddler.

Ok...just noticed this in the article. "According to a probable cause statement, Goff told police she stored the methadone in a Gatorade bottle on the floor between her bed and the wall."

Methadone is refrigerated...

Ok...just noticed this in the article. "According to a probable cause statement, Goff told police she stored the methadone in a Gatorade bottle on the floor between her bed and the wall."

Methadone is refrigerated...[/QUOTE]

BBM: Not in my hospital it's not.

My Mom was on hospice at my sister's home and had methadone for her pain. It was not refrigerated and came in a dropper type bottle, about the size of a trial size shampoo. I think when they go to the clinic to get a dose ( to come off heroin) they make you take it at the clinic; I'm not sure but I dont think you can take it with you. My sister is a nurse and used to work at one of those clinics.
Why on earth would it be in a Gatorade bottle?

My Mom was on hospice at my sister's home and had methadone for her pain. It was not refrigerated and came in a dropper type bottle, about the size of a trial size shampoo. I think when they go to the clinic to get a dose ( to come off heroin) they make you take it at the clinic; I'm not sure but I dont think you can take it with you. My sister is a nurse and used to work at one of those clinics.
Why on earth would it be in a Gatorade bottle?

After you have been on the program awhile and tested with the appropriate amount in your system (so they know you are not selling it or abusing it) the clinics will give you a certain amount to take home. I don't know if it's the same for every clinic or every person, but one guy I know got a week's worth at a time. But he had to go every day for a long time, then every other day...work his way up to it. But I saw his supply, and it was nowhere near the size of a Gatorade bottle. It was more like the size of one of those little scented oil bottles that hold an ounce or something. He had it in a little leather zip-up case that was maybe 4X6 and an inch or two thick. This is all for heroin addicts. I don't know if they dose it differently when you are getting it for chronic pain. I know people who get it for that, but I don't know if they get it for the month or what, since they are not considered addicts and are being treated for something entirely different. Still, even a month's worth would in no way be enough to store in a Gatorade bottle. That is just ridiculous. And dangerous.

My thoughts....if she REALLY had the methadone in a Gatorade bottle, she bought it off the street or stole it from a clinic or hospital setting. I tend to think she gave it to them on purpose though, to knock them out. She had lots of time to make up a story about the bottle and the location of it, etc since she chose to let her child "sleep it off" instead of calling 911. I would be surprised if this was the first time she's drugged her children. I guess we'll see.

Methadone is refrigerated...[/QUOTE]

BBM: Not in my hospital it's not.

I suppose I should have said in my experience. When my sister got take always at the clinic, they were always refrigerated and instructed to do so. Same with the hospital. Obviously, I haven't seen every clinic and hospital. That was just my experience. With that said, only the exact doses they need was given. In small bottles. Not enough for a Gatorade bottle! I can't imagine anyone would give that much methadone, it's strong and dangerous stuff. Not only that, it COMES in a bottle...no need to put it in another.

Where I'm from the people who get methadone have to bring a lock box to the clinic to even be allowed to carry it out of the clinic. There are laws it has to be locked up at all times so things like this do not happen.

There is no way she mistake it for Gatorade. But what I am thinking is maybe she had left it out and the boy had gotten into it and drank it on his own. Not sure what the laws are in her town or state about the lock box but she could of been scared of getting in trouble. Had the other kids drink it so it looked like they mistake it for Gatorade. End result the boy died and she had to call 911 anyways.

Either way this is so sad. :( She could have killed him and meant to. Or maybe it was something kinda like what I said. Who knows anymore. People are scary. I swear to god it is turning into a trend to hurt and kill babies. Makes me so mad.

Sorry if this was already brought up, but I'm thinking she mixed it with the gatorade & that's why it was in there. My ex was on the clinic and he always mixed it in his coke, then would pour coke in the small bottle to get any remaining liquid that he may have missed before. And I also know its Very possible she got more off the street, after awhile its the only way for them to get high or higher as well as mixing it with a benzo (xanax,klonopin,etc) Anyways I agree giagreen, people are scary!!

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58309994-78/goff-according-methadone-prison.html.csp

Jill Goff took a nap as her toddler was dying. She didn’t call 911 or take her children to the hospital. When her older children, ages 5 and 8, began feeling ill, she didn’t immediately tell anyone why — that she had inadvertently given her children methadone, thinking it was Gatorade.

On Tuesday, a judge sentenced Goff to prison for up to 15 years for this...

"The court is extremely concerned of your lack of doing anything after your child had consumed that methadone and even when the second child was taken to the hospital," Adkins said, as he sentenced Goff to the maximum punishment he could give. "Your children who survived did so without the assistance of you, Ms. Goff."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back