Students demand sleepwalker sculpture is removed over ‘sexual assault’ fears

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/06/stude...is-removed-over-sexual-assault-fears-4293302/

Students demand sleepwalker sculpture is removed over ‘sexual assault’ fears

Thursday 6 Feb 2014 1:58 pm

ad_126407948.jpg

...An incredibly lifelike sculpture of a half-naked, sleepwalking man is striking fear into the hearts of students at a women’s college.

So far, more than 300 students have signed a petition demanding its removal from the Wellesley College campus – but the president says the piece of art is part of the intellectual process....

It's an amazing sculpture. I say move it into a gallery and take it from the outside. JMO

I agree that it is amazing work and also ugly :)

I would move it inside.

What intellectual process are they trying to stimulate? How does looking at a sleepwalker make you feel? Or is it about the man wearing only shorts? Or is it about what inspires the artist?

Or is it about the Walking Dead?

LOL!

Salem

ETA: According to the article, all of the above :): The college defended the work claiming it ‘has started an impassioned conversation about art, gender, sexuality and individual experience, both on campus and on social media.

Surely someone will participate in the artistic process and add a bathroom to the sculpture? A sheet and a wreath for a toga party?

It doesn't inspire fear of sexual assault in me, rather it looks more like the zombie apocalypse.

What are they scared the sculpture is going to come to life and sexually assault them?
I don't really understand that part. But the thing is ugly and I could see why they would just want it gone.
Who wants to look at any man in whitey tighties....boxers maybe. lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back