CA - Six people killed by drunk driver on 60 Freeway, Diamond Bar, 9 Feb 2014

Police say wrong-way driver causes accident that kills 6 on SoCal freeway

The female driver was in serious condition at a Los Angeles County hospital with a broken femur and a ruptured bladder, Jimenez said.

Authorities were seeking blood tests.

Investigators "believe from what they found in the vehicle that alcohol was involved," Los Angeles County Coroner's Lt. Fred Corral told the newspaper.

Jimenez said the woman was traveling east in a red Chevy Camaro when it collided head-on with a red Ford Explorer. The sequence of events involving the other vehicles was not immediately clear. At least two people were ejected from their vehicles, Jimenez said.

read more .............. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/0...auses-accident-that-kills-6-on-socal-freeway/

I wonder if someone will come up with a blood test for 'affluenza' ?

If she was under the influence, go directly to jail. No return.

I wonder if someone will come up with a blood test for 'affluenza' ?

If she was under the influence, go directly to jail. No return.

I am continually amazed at these people who drive while drinking or whatever. Don't they read the news? Watch the news? OMGosh!

It's been out there for years and years the people who are killed because someone didn't have a designated driver.

I wonder how many people who read this have known someone who has died because of drinking, either them or someone else? Or it would probably be easier to ask who hasn't known someone who's died because of drinking/impaired/driving by someone in the incident.

I just don't get it.
:(
fran

8d682cf2a6115b054b0f6a7067004044.jpg

A 21-year-old California woman has been arrested on suspicion of felony drunken driving and felony manslaughter after authorities says she was barreling down a suburban Los Angeles freeway in the wrong direction and caused a crash that left six people dead.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/10/california-freeway-crash/5355071/

6 Killed, 2 Injured In Wrong-Way Crash On 60 Freeway

According to the CHP, two female adult passengers from the Culbreath’s Camaro (died on-scene), three ejected female adults from an undetermined vehicle (one female died on-scene, the two other later died at UC Irvine Medical Center), and one ejected male from an undetermined vehicle (died on-scene).

The CHP said Joel Cortez, a man driving a 2006 Ford Freestyle, suffered minor injuries in the crash.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/02/09/6-killed-2-injured-in-wrong-way-crash-on-60-freeway/

Apparently, the crushed up, indistinguishable red (more of an orangish red) vehicle in the front of the photo is the Camaro that was driven by the accused. The other 2 vehicles, the silver Ford Freestyle and the Red Ford Explorer were also involved. It is amazing that anyone survived.

Why does it always seem like the drunker driver is the one who walks away while innocent people die at their expense. So horrible. My thoughts go out to the families of all those killed.

Apparently, the crushed up, indistinguishable red (more of an orangish red) vehicle in the front of the photo is the Camaro that was driven by the accused. The other 2 vehicles, the silver Ford Freestyle and the Red Ford Explorer were also involved. It is amazing that anyone survived.

The red vehicle with the door open looks like the Explorer to me. It looks like it was hit from both ends.

Wow, apparently, Olivia Culbreath has a baby that is less than a month old. Such a senseless and avoidable tragedy that this baby now will grow up likely without its mother and the others involved will now live without their loved ones.

“She just had a baby. I was supposed to go see her.”

Social media accounts linked to Culbreath indicated she gave birth to a child in late-January.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-n...freeway-in-diamond-bar-fontana-woman-arrested

The red vehicle with the door open looks like the Explorer to me. It looks like it was hit from both ends.

It is, but the red Camaro is crushed up against the backend of the Ford Explorer. At first I thought it was just one vehicle, but reading through and looking at photos, I realized that the Ford Explorer was sandwiched between the silver Freestyle and the red Camaro. You can kind of tell, due to the different shades of red. It appears that the Camaro may have gone completely under the Explorer, as in the video the front end of the Camaro is facing the camera.

According to CHP officer Rodrigo Jimenez, officials began receiving calls from witnesses regarding a wrong-way driver traveling in a Chevrolet Camaro on the 57 Freeway.

Shortly after, additional calls came in regarding the wrong-way driver traveling within the westbound lanes of the 60 Freeway.

That's when, Jimenez says, the Chevrolet Camaro struck a red Ford Explorer and then subsequently struck a gray Ford Freestyle near the Phillips Ranch Road exit around 4:40 a.m. All lanes near the exit were shut following the accident.

The video in the article below, shows the Explorer, after they have removed the Camaro from behind and underneath the Explorer.

"Unfortunately, it crashed with a Ford Explorer, proceeded and crashed with a Ford Freestyle," said Jimenez. "We received additional calls after the collision of the parties that were ejected. We responded quickly and tried to get here as soon as we can to prevent more collisions from occurring."

The Ford Explorer was cut in half. The Ford Freestyle was also heavily damaged.

Five females, two who were 24-years-old, and a 47-year-old man were pronounced dead at the scene. The coroner has not yet released the identities of the victims who were killed.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=9425177

Since I live in Orange County, Ca., where this happened, it has been a lead news story. Of course it sickens me.

I really think it's time to start treating these cases as 1st. degree murder. You get drunk or high, and get behind the wheel you are premeditating the death of another person. We need to stop with this "they didn't intend to kill someone" BS. Drinking and driving kills people every day in this country. If you are stupid enough to drive after drinking (or drugs of course) then you are just as responsible as a guy that robs a liquor store, but doesn't "intend" to hurt anyone.

There is really no excuse for this. None. When life sentences start being handed down, maybe someone will think twice before getting behind the wheel.

This woman should never again see the light of day outside of a prison. I personally don't care what excuses she has. Throw away the key.

I missed that the Camero was underneath the Explorer. How on earth did the driver get away with only a broken femur and punctured bladder?! Unbelievable.

I really think it's time to start treating these cases as 1st. degree murder. You get drunk or high, and get behind the wheel you are premeditating the death of another person. We need to stop with this "they didn't intend to kill someone" BS. Drinking and driving kills people every day in this country. If you are stupid enough to drive after drinking (or drugs of course) then you are just as responsible as a guy that robs a liquor store, but doesn't "intend" to hurt anyone.

There is really no excuse for this. None. When life sentences start being handed down, maybe someone will think twice before getting behind the wheel.....

I couldn't agree more. And harsher laws for drunk driving arrests. First conviction, lose your license for a year. Second conviction, permanent loss of driving privileges.

Since I live in Orange County, Ca., where this happened, it has been a lead news story. Of course it sickens me.

There is really no excuse for this. None. When life sentences start being handed down, maybe someone will think twice before getting behind the wheel.

This woman should never again see the light of day outside of a prison. I personally don't care what excuses she has. Throw away the key.

I agree chlban, that premeditation is the way to look at this type of horrific incident. It's incredibly selfish.

I'm planning on a girls night out. I'm going to take my red camaro. I'm going to drink and whoop it up to my hearts content. I'm going to drive my red camaro home.

And there you have it, all the necessary planning in place to kill one or more people you may or may not know.

Is your baby in safe hands Ms Culbreath?

There are two threads for this. I wonder if we could get them merged?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234459"]CA- 6 dead in poss DUI crash, Diamond Bar - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Re why the drunk drivers seem to walk away from these types of accidents:

the drunk driver's reflexes are more lax and the muscles are not tensed, as with a sober driver (or passenger) who sees what is about to happen and has time to brace themselves. That's what I have heard anyway. So IMO.

My coworker drove by the accident at 8am. She said there were only two cars involved....I told her sadly there were three. She didn't realize the Camaro was under the Explorer. My heart hurts for all families involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back