Mom Mad Over Son's "Most Whipped" Photo

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
The mother of a high school senior elected "Most Whipped" by his classmates has asked for a recall of Boynton Beach High's 2005 yearbooks over a photograph of her son wearing a collar and leash.

Robert Richards, 19, was photographed with then-girlfriend Melissa Finley, who is holding the leash. Richards is black and Finley is white.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/DBM1073/

When I first read this, I thought the mom was being ridiculous by trying to turn something that was done in fun into a racial incident. I'm sure what the young couple was trying to portray is that the boy was, like all men, led around on a leash by his girl. But the picture does make me uncomfortable.

If he's 19 now he was 18 when the photo was taken so it's out of Mom's hands.

It shouldnt have been in the yearbook but isnt that what the FALCULTY yearbook advisor is for??????

**However** he's an adult and if he wants to wear a leash in a picture he can.

Me too, Mabel, exactly.

I heard this story yesterday and thought "oh get a life".

Its the picture, though, that gives me the real creeps.

That looks to me like a black man with a noose around his neck and a white blonde woman laughing in the background.

Ouch, ouch. I don't think the couple in the picture has any idea what that looks like to those of us who lived when drinking fountains were separate, and blacks couldn't eat in restaurants. I expected the image to look like more fun.

Well..they were consenting..but I have to question the faculty advisor for allowing this into the year book. IMO it's inappropriate...the line has to be drawn somewhere!!

They are covering the pictures in the remaining yearbooks with stickers...

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]
In response, school district officials ordered stickers that they will use to cover the photos in the remaining 460 copies. They want the 240 students who already received their books to return them for alteration.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/orl-bk-whip051905,0,6264061.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

[/font]

Looks like a typical high school stunt. The boy wanted to be remembered for doing something provocative and silly. His girlfriend had a laugh and went along. Rather than discipilining her son for sophomoric behavior, she chose to make it into a adult statement reminecient of segregation, then complain as if it were someone else's fault.

OK, I got input from my 15 yo daughter. This is her 2nd year on yearbook staff.

1. She says she sees things that go into their yearbook every day that shock her.
2. Their yearbook is an award winning, one of the best in the country type year books
3. She was appalled at the picture, but not surprised
4. They have a picture in her yb this year of just a girls *advertiser censored* with low shirt / lots of cleavage ...

Arrrrgghghhhhhhh :razz:

Ok... I don't get the uproar. I've seen the picture - and I understand the issue but that was from generations ago. I absolutely think that this is a funny picture portrayed as a BOYFRIEND WHO IS told what to do all the time by his girlfriend and nothing more!

It's frustrating sometimes because sometimes I think people either read too much into some stuff or they see WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE. Geesh. It's teenagers people. They have no brains to begin with - it was for fun. :doh:

my2cents

So what ever happened to "Most Likely to Succeed" and "Coolest Notebook"? "Most Whipped"? Like that's something to BRAG about? No dude in MY class would ever have gone along with that, even for a joke.

Don't find anything amusing in advertised potential abuse of any kind, even for a "joke". You can get just as many laughs with a girl wagging her finger at the guy, and a sheepish expression on his face.

Ghostwheel said:
So what ever happened to "Most Likely to Succeed" and "Coolest Notebook"? "Most Whipped"? Like that's something to BRAG about? No dude in MY class would ever have gone along with that, even for a joke.

Don't find anything amusing in advertised potential abuse of any kind, even for a "joke". You can get just as many laughs with a girl wagging her finger at the guy, and a sheepish expression on his face.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT post!!! sorry caps was still on :)

blueclouds said:
Ok... I don't get the uproar. I've seen the picture - and I understand the issue but that was from generations ago. I absolutely think that this is a funny picture portrayed as a BOYFRIEND WHO IS told what to do all the time by his girlfriend and nothing more!

It's frustrating sometimes because sometimes I think people either read too much into some stuff or they see WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE. Geesh. It's teenagers people. They have no brains to begin with - it was for fun. :doh:

my2cents

I agree with all you said! The picture is no big deal to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back