Ukraine President's fled, who's caring for the animals left behind?

zwiebel

Reaction score
Months of protests in Ukraine have led to President Yanukovich 'leaving the building', as they say.

Now the gates of his luxury palace have been opened to the public and amongst the predictable excesses, a private zoo and farm have been revealed, absolutely full of caged domestic and exotic animals.

I'me very worried for their welfare. They must cost a fortune to feed, and is there anyone left there to do it? Staff won't be paid now and would they have stayed anyway, now the President's fled? It's depressing that the absent president collected all those animals and then just abandoned them to their fate.

If anybody has heard what's happening to them, please post!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/22/yanukovych-zoo-palace-ukraine_n_4838187.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ident-yanukovychs-country-estate-9146886.html

Maybe this refuge is still in the Crimea and could help?
http://www.artukraine.com/old/travel/yalta_zoo.htm

http://blogs.channel4.com/matt-frei-on-america/ukraine-crisis-president-private-zoo-protest/3541

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 30
As Crimea is now full of Russian military, it's safe to say the animals will not be taken there for refuge. People in Ukraine are very concerned with their futures now and the animals will take second place. I'm just hoping there is no further bloodshed.

Apparently, Kiev zoo has had issues in the past and says that conditions at the former president's palace are actually better than the zoo. The palace has not been destroyed and protesters have been trying to keep the animals fed and watered.

In return, the farm goats have been used to supply protesters with milk. It's obvious some permanent form of care urgently needs to be put in place though. I haven't seen any photos of animals that need highly secure care and lots of meat, such as lions or tigers, so perhaps they won't have to be shot - though I believe this could still be a danger.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26360717

https://www.thedodo.com/what-will-happen-to-the-zoo-an-445024691.htm

https://www.thedodo.com/ousted-ukrainian-president-aba-442459107.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 20
Ukraine on 'brink of disaster'. :(

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/02/world/europe/ukraine-politics/

I've just realized Ukraine's closest point is around 500 miles away from where I am now. I'm trying to stop myself running around yelling 'The Russians are coming!" at all my German friends. They only left here just over 20 years ago and nobody's ready for a return visit - all their barracks have been turned into supermarkets.

I am very sad and fearful for Ukraine and all the people and creatures inside the country now. It truly is a country with one foot in the West and one foot in the East. In the best of worlds, they could be getting help from both 'sides'. Instead it looks like the world's about to do its worst. I don't know what will happen to the Presidential palace and the zoo if the former president tries to reclaim it, because I think protesters will fight.

I hope it doesn't come to that, but hope some kind souls will evacuate the animals if it looks like it will.

Oh Lord. I went on Ukraine's tourist FB page. I'm not a member of FB and can't read Russian so, so much for my sleuthing there. But it links to an English language forum for Ukraine, and I looked for zoo info there.

And instead found that all men have been called to attend recruitment offices in the morning. :(

https://www.facebook.com/ukrainecom

Absolutely amazed that things have started to 'blow up' in the Ukraine. I guess I assumed things had become more peaceful over there.
And it's not like anyone predicted this could happen -- that Russia would invade.
Hopefully things calm down ; simply cannot believe ANYONE over there really wants war.

I have friends involved with an international adoption in Ukraine, who (IMO) are pretty much in denial about how dangerous and difficult things have become there.

They have met and hosted the young boy (age 5) in their home in the U.S., and have also traveled to Ukraine just before Christmas-- and had to return very suddenly when things in Kiev became troublesome. While I'm hopeful for them, I'm also realistic (I'm also an adoptive parent internationally), and believe that it's likely that Ukraine may not be able to have enough of a functional government to complete this adoption.

It's painful to see them so (IMO, unrealistically hopeful), and acknowledge that things just are not moving in the right direction for them, and the young boy. They are very religious, so their faith keeps them hopeful and optimistic. I just really hope they don't take any trips there in the next few weeks. They have 2 other kids to think about.

I have friends involved with an international adoption in Ukraine, who (IMO) are pretty much in denial about how dangerous and difficult things have become there.

They have met and hosted the young boy (age 5) in their home in the U.S., and have also traveled to Ukraine just before Christmas-- and had to return very suddenly when things in Kiev became troublesome. While I'm hopeful for them, I'm also realistic (I'm also an adoptive parent internationally), and believe that it's likely that Ukraine may not be able to have enough of a functional government to complete this adoption.

It's painful to see them so (IMO, unrealistically hopeful), and acknowledge that things just are not moving in the right direction for them, and the young boy. They are very religious, so their faith keeps them hopeful and optimistic. I just really hope they don't take any trips there in the next few weeks. They have 2 other kids to think about.

That sucks. Situation in Ukraine seems very unstable so adoption are very unlikely to be a priorty.

Oh Lord. I went on Ukraine's tourist FB page. I'm not a member of FB and can't read Russian so, so much for my sleuthing there. But it links to an English language forum for Ukraine, and I looked for zoo info there.

And instead found that all men have been called to attend recruitment offices in the morning. :(

https://www.facebook.com/ukrainecom

Google translate does a pretty good job if you need to translate something from Russian into English.

Oh my, Zwiebel. I'm so afraid the animals will be forgotten. Thank goodness for the people that are caring for them now, but how much longer will they be able to continue with the poor animals' care and upkeep? That is an enormous task even for the trained and capable even under normal circumstances.

Absolutely amazed that things have started to 'blow up' in the Ukraine. I guess I assumed things had become more peaceful over there.
And it's not like anyone predicted this could happen -- that Russia would invade.
Hopefully things calm down ; simply cannot believe ANYONE over there really wants war.

You are talking about the Russians....IMO they are still living in the mentality of the last century and have not matured as a nation, like the rest of Europe has.

IMO there are many parallels between Germany in the late 30s and Russia today. The world needs to watch out, because if there is appeasement on the Ukraine issue, who knows where it will lead to. We saw what happened last time Europe attempted that approach. The continent needs to protect Ukraine.

From the viewpoint of one who has not studied the history of the Ukraine ; it seemed like the Ukraine was part of Russia like Texas is part of the U.S.
But after Googling the Ukraine's relationship to Russia --- it is more complicated than that.

According to various articles on msm, Ukraine gained some independence in the 1950's and was granted some sort of protection in the 1990's.(?)

Sorry to be so vague about this country. If anyone is interested, I can find some links.
Right now I'm afraid for all of the innocent people caught up in this escalating situation.

Not to mention the zoo and farm animals. We have pets and would never think of letting them go a day without proper care and attention from us, their 'family'. :)

They need to take a reality check… Russia seems hellbent on taking control of that country and if it does happen, it would be of no surprise if Putin stops all adoptions to US citizens. He already has that ban in place in Russia.

I know of someone that hosts older orphaned Ukranian kids during the summer. They got word that the orphanages have seen their funding dwindle due to the conflict, thus food and meds are at a minimum and basic toiletries have ran out. :(

I really do not know about hopes for adoption - the current president is only temporary, and in a precarious position. What does that mean for the rest of the government?

In terms of history, Ukraine hasn't been a country for very long at all - Russia is at least a cousin, if not a brother. The whole situation seems crazy to me. But if you look at where the occupation is in Crimea, it's kind of obvious why Putin feels the need to stamp his footprint there, from a strategic position.

In comments about "the Russians" I would like for there to be a recognition of the difference between the people of Russia and the political leaders of Russia. The Russian people as a whole have suffered greatly under their leaders. They suffered under the czars and they've suffered under the communists.

Putin is doing exectly what Hitler did in Poland in 1939. He has invaded another soverign country. There are Russians living here in the U.S. Would that make it okay for Russian military forces to enter our country on the pretext that Putin is worried about the Russians who are in the U.S.?

The people of Russian heritage who live in the Crimea are legally citizens of the Ukraine. This is not anything recent.

Putin wants the area due to the access to the Black Sea. He's making a grab in the same manner despots have done for centuries. It is a question of what will the rest of the world do to stop him?

Putin chose a good time for this move psychologically, right when the U.S. is sick and tired of Iraq and Afghanistan and just days after the announcement of a plan to scale back the size of the U.S. military. The sentiment to not get involved would seem to be high among our politicians.

But how does the saying go? "Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it"? We all know how well appeasement worked with Hitler.

I was so happy for the Ukraine when the protestors got the president to flee and they opened up his ridiculously enormous palace and those of his cronies, I mean this guy was supposed to be on the equivalent of $100,000pa. Now it seems that Russia will just not let them become truly independent after being complicit in the corruption for years. I am so upset by it, I wish Russia would just leave Ukraine alone to run their own affairs in peace, but that is just Pollyanna thinking I guess. Damn you Putin.

Putin is former KGB and likely quite old-school in his core beliefs. In addition, on a personal basis he is evidently quite the narccicist (sp/) as evidenced by the numerous topless photos of him that have been published over the years. Plus he's had plastic surgery to enhance his face. Oh, and then there's the risk-taking sports he has liked so much.

Put it all together and it can make for a dangerous leader. The Russian politicians surely have not enjoyed the breakup of their empire with the accompanying loss of face involved.

It is looking like Putin will attempt a bloodless takeover of the Crimean region of the Ukraine. And he may well get away with it. He's playing for high stakes, but with 6-7,000 troops on the ground in the Ukranian Crimea within the past week, and nobody to want to go in shooting, he may end up taking it.

If it was merely a matter of "Okay, this is no longer Ukraine, now you live in Russia" that would probably not be too bad for the people who live there. But there is fear of "ethnic cleansing" - which means getting rid of people the Russians don't want to be there.

Plus the invaders always take things like the industries and land and ports, etc. Actually they take anything they want.

Ukraine is a small, weak place without the means to defend itself.

I suppose the question to ask ourselves is "What if Mr. Putin decided he wanted Maine?"

Putin's just said Ukraine fell in an 'Unconstitutional coup' and the two countries will not 'go to war' but Russia 'will use force' if necessary. He is also denying Russian military are there at all - says they are all pro-Russian locals.

Ukrainian unarmed soldiers tried to take back their occupied airport today, and there was a face-off with the Russian military. Three warning shots were fired into the air, and the workers retreated.

John Kerry is in Kiev, speaking out. Meanwhile, Putin compared the US to 'lab rats in an experiment' and said the Ukraine revolution was all a western plot.

He can take that right back. I'm western and I wasn't part of any plot - I'd have got all the animals, children and seniors out first if I was.

Will get some links. I'm listening to a Russian on the radio threatening to shoot a Ukrainian in the legs at the moment. :(

Look at this elderly Ukrainian guy. It makes me sad to see him having to turn out for his country at his age. He should be enjoying his retirement. Though the average wage is only about $10 a day I think, so retirement probably isn't easy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26414600

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 17
First shots fired, with lots of pictures. Including troops playing football...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-Moscow-sends-naval-landing-ship-Crimea.html

This journalist on Russia today who spoke out about the crisis has been sent to the Crimea. Double speak is being used to justify it, but as far as I can see, this could possibly be a little intimidating for her, given it's full of Russian military (allegedly) at the moment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10669670/Ukraine-Russia-crisis-live.html

I've watched a lot of Russia Today as it's often one of the few English language stations on hotel tv. I like it, but it does tend to have a unique view on the world, and I've never seen anything even slightly critical of the Russian Government.

http://rt.com/

And here's Fox explaining to everyone how to stop the problem instantly. I think I'll ask them if they have any ideas about the zoo animals......
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014...putin-ukraine-power-grab-without-firing-shot/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back