11-year-old boy hospitalized after being bullied for liking 'My Little Pony'

No one who is mentally healthy attempts suicide after being teased about liking My Little Pony.

As a culture, we need to stop thinking that episodes of negative social feedback from peers is what is causing children to not value their lives. I don't know what is causing children to want to die, but all of us remember hideous situations of bullying and the children didn't consider self-harm as a possible solution.

Healthy children don't kill themselves after a few bad days. There were a LOT of children who survived Auschwitz and other extreme situations, and didn't think of self-harming.

I hope this child receives the help he needs for depression, and no one who is responsible for him thinks that removing negative feedback from his life will solve his problems. They're deeper than that.

So glad that his attempt failed and I hope it helps him to know that so many are speaking out in support of him and even getting "my little pony" tats. That's just awesome!

A more detailed article. Apparently no one can confirm that they saw him bullied, except his mother who witnessed an argument between Michael and his older brother where the brother said he was tired of Michael's obsession with My Little Pony just before Michael attempted to hang himself.

No one else seems to have noticed any "bullying".

I know this mother wants to blame "bullies", who she doesn't want named or investigated (hmmm) but really, it seems unlikely. And now this has become a viral headline.

I hope this dear boy recovers, and whatever made him want to kill himself is resolved. My guess is he has very serious unresolved issues that have nothing whatsoever to do with his peers being unkind to him.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/06/3597324/online-my-little-pony-fans-spread.html

I'm not sure I agree that kids who'd do this must be mentally ill. Yes, kids have survived tougher things, but a lot haven't as well. Some children are just born sensitive. I know a few like that. The world is especially unkind to people like that no matter what their situation.

That said, I think there's more going on than meets the eye here. With that, I do agree.

My daughter has several 15-yo male friends who just love MLP (it's a fad these days, lol, no longer just for little kids!) - and they get teased sometimes. But there's SO many others into the fad, they feel okay about it. Plus, some of them aren't the kind you'd want to pick on face to face -- them Bronies are tough!

I hope whatever issues drove this little boy to such lengths are resolved with appropriate help.

Well, I would say that's one of the clear defining definitions of mental illness.

Lack of desire to survive.

Yes, the MLP thing is a fad. My 21 yo step-son was really into it a few years back. He still has his sweatshirt that says "Keep cool and Brony on" (male fans are called Bronies) Fortunately, he didn't get the tattoo

Well, I would say that's one of the clear defining definitions of mental illness.

Lack of desire to survive.

Yeah, we'll just have to disagree on that.

Emotional breakdowns cause suicide too, and they do not necessarily entail mental illness.

I do think there was more going on with this boy, whether at home, in his head or there -was- actually severe bullying that just isn't immediately visible to anyone. That happens too.

I don't think kids need to be compared to Holocaust survivors.. everything's relative. My family members raised in the depression era/war eras went through tons of terrible stuff - some toughed it out, some didn't.

idk, I think kids are babied too much these days, sometimes. other times, I think we ought to throw out all the electronic doodads and make em all go outside, for the love of mike. play cops and robber the healthy, non-PC, interpersonal way rather than stuck on shoot-em-up games that are just foully sexist, racist and violent.

But no matter, I don't think this little boy was failing to cope with whatever made him that desperate because he wasn't 'tough'...

Sad, very sad for someone so young to be so unhappy and wanting to die.

I hope he gets the help he needs to realize he is valuable- just the way he is- and that life can be wonderful and joyous and worth living!

I'm not trying to blame the victim here, but liking MLP as a boy is almost a warrant for other children to tease or bully you.

Damn... the MLP fad was the worst thing to come from 4chan. It has escalated so far that now even gradeschool children are actually liking the show.

Very, very scary, this case. Little brothers are 9, 11, and 13; all like MLP. Luckily they haven't been bullied or teased for it, since other loves such as Minecraft and Pokémon take predominance, but still... So happy the boy wasn't successful in his attemps...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back