Bullying Leads to Another Suicide

rainwater

Reaction score
This was in the Las Vegas NV Review-Journal.
www.reviewjournal.com Father: White Middle School student’s suicide related to bullying.

The school is named in honor of Thurman White.
So sad that this young girl took her own life. Don't get me started on the tasteless remark that the reporter makes about her towards the end of the article.
As far as the bullies are concerned, one time might be hurtful, twice is a pattern, and three times is a habit, IMHO.

I couldn't find the article at your link so I had to google the story:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/father-white-middle-school-student-s-suicide-related-bullying

I'm always curious about girls who commit suicide due to "bullying". Don't they always seem like exceptionally pretty girls, with a minimal experience with bullying? I never open one of these stories up that's entitled "Another student suicide blamed on bullying" and find a girl who society would consider unattractive, and one who has probably always been dismissed or bullied or not valued due to her appearance.

It's always a girl who is truly pretty, who had a small experience with being bullied.

What a shame that these kids have so incredibly little tolerance for social rejection compared to girls who have experienced it all their lives and seem to get up the next morning.

for some reason I can link to anything except R-J articles.

You are right about it being the pretty girls who commit suicide. I think the 2 girls who were bullying her were extremely jealous of her looks and personality.

Right, rainwater, rival girls. I agree with you.

When I think of bullying, I think of girls who have no social skills whatsoever and no friends at all. They are social outcasts, and feel totally isolated.

Those girls, however, don't ever commit suicide.

It's the girls in the top tier of social stratus, who are pretty and socially savvy, and when they have a little episode of not being in the top tier of the social strata they kill themselves.

I'm mystified. Ugly girls are bullied all the time and they just endure. It might be time to explore the upper social tiers and explain to them that you don't have to be on top all the time to have a good life.

Right, rainwater, rival girls. I agree with you.

When I think of bullying, I think of girls who have no social skills whatsoever and no friends at all. They are social outcasts, and feel totally isolated.

Those girls, however, don't ever commit suicide.

It's the girls in the top tier of social stratus, who are pretty and socially savvy, and when they have a little episode of not being in the top tier of the social strata they kill themselves.

I'm mystified. Ugly girls are bullied all the time and they just endure. It might be time to explore the upper social tiers and explain to them that you don't have to be on top all the time to have a good life.

Don't be mystified: if you are bullied at five and six and eight and ten, you learn that it isn't the end of the world. You learn coping skills and you learn that being popular isn't the most important thing in the world. If you are popular and perfect and gorgeous and no one picks on you until you are 13, you have no skills to deal with this and it's at the point in life where you have no reference of how small a thing really is.

Don't be mystified: if you are bullied at five and six and eight and ten, you learn that it isn't the end of the world. You learn coping skills and you learn that being popular isn't the most important thing in the world. If you are popular and perfect and gorgeous and no one picks on you until you are 13, you have no skills to deal with this and it's at the point in life where you have no reference of how small a thing really is.

Yes. So, ironically, we're probably doing this generation of kids a terrible disservice by cutting off any access they might have to negative feedback. We are doing the social/psychological equivalent of trying to raise our children in a medical "clean room" with no dust or toxins or germs, and expecting them to develop normal immune systems.

When I look at the generations of hardscrabble existences children had in the US for centuries and they had joyful delightful lives. And now we've come to believe that shielding our children completely from adversity will enhance their lives.

And sadly, they're killing themselves. It's just really so incredibly sad and ironic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back