GUILTY TX - Four killed, 21 injured by drunk driver at SXSW, Austin, 13 March 2014

Drunk driving again causing innocent grief.

I'm glad your son was not hurt.

I was just watching Andy Cohen and he was in Texas and they said the show was taped before the tragedy. I didn't see it on the News so I look it up and what a terrible thing to happen at a place where everyone was going to have a good time. I just don't understand why people aren't getting it. A lot of people have died due to alcohol related deaths. I heard that 5 are in critical condition, so hopefully that death toll doesn't rise.

BY CIARA O'ROURKE AND JAZMINE ULLOA - AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

The man accused of killing two people and injuring 22 others as he raced his car past barricades on a downtown Austin street packed with pedestrians told investigators he fled from a traffic stop because he feared being arrested over outstanding warrants.
Rashad Owens was charged Friday with one count of capital murder in the deaths of Steven Craenmehr, 35, and Jamie West, 27. Breath test results show that Owens had a blood alcohol level over the legal limit. The 21-year-old Killeen resident remained in the Travis County Jail on Friday with bail set at $3 million.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/new...-charged-with-capital-murder-in-sxsw-c/nfDNr/

This has been all over the news here. One of the men killed was from the Netherlands. :( The woman was from here in Austin. :( Lots of info and video at link. Very sad. He intentionally ran over those people. There were no brake lights ever seen.

Rashad Owens charged with capital murder in deadly SXSW crash

The 21-year-old from Killeen, about 70 miles north of Austin, remains in police custody after a district court judge set his bail at $3 million. Jail records did not list an attorney for him.

After being treated and released for minor injuries sustained in the crash, Owens agreed to a breath test and it showed his blood-alcohol content as .114, according an arrest affidavit. The legal limit in Texas in .08.

http://kxan.com/2014/03/14/rashad-owens-charged-on-two-counts-of-capital-murder/

Suspect in deadly South By Southwest crash charged

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — The drunken-driving suspect who police say killed two people after he smashed his car through a street barricade at the South By Southwest festival did not use his brakes and even accelerated as he approached crowds, according to an arrest warrant released Friday.

Rashad Charjuan Owens was charged Friday with one count of capital murder, though additional charges can be added later. Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo has said Owens intentionally steered toward pedestrians early Thursday in hopes of escaping an officer who was trying to pull him over. Acevedo has suggested Owens could face two capital murder charges and as many as 23 counts of aggravated assault with a vehicle.

http://www.kvue.com/news/national/250398921.html

Suspect in deadly South By Southwest crash charged

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — The drunken-driving suspect who police say killed two people after he smashed his car through a street barricade at the South By Southwest festival did not use his brakes and even accelerated as he approached crowds, according to an arrest warrant released Friday.

Rashad Charjuan Owens was charged Friday with one count of capital murder, though additional charges can be added later. Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo has said Owens intentionally steered toward pedestrians early Thursday in hopes of escaping an officer who was trying to pull him over. Acevedo has suggested Owens could face two capital murder charges and as many as 23 counts of aggravated assault with a vehicle.

http://www.kvue.com/news/national/250398921.html

SO very disturbing and sad. Can this all be be because his alcohol level was elevated? He looks pretty sober and defiant in that picture....but maybe that's just my take and maybe just the picture. Photographs can give a wrong impression sometimes. Just unbelievable ...what occurred in a fun and supposedly "safe" place. I've walked those same places during SXSW and can just imagine the utter and complete shock for those poor people who were hit and those who were witnesses.

The driver was not only drinking but according to witnesses SPED UP when he saw the crowd. Sounds like premeditation to me....it took a few seconds to decide to drive into a crowd.

SO very disturbing and sad. Can this all be be because his alcohol level was elevated? He looks pretty sober and defiant in that picture....but maybe that's just my take and maybe just the picture. Photographs can give a wrong impression sometimes. Just unbelievable ...what occurred in a fun and supposedly "safe" place. I've walked those same places during SXSW and can just imagine the utter and complete shock for those poor people who were hit and those who were witnesses.

I know what ya mean, it was awful.

Although a few good things have come of it. One of the young ladies that was injured pretty badly got a visit from the band she was waiting in line to see when she was hit. I have to say, it brought tears to my eyes.

SXSW band visits injured teenager in hospital

AUSTIN -- A Liberty Hill High School senior was among those injured Thursday morning when a man accused of drunk driving ran into a crowd of people waiting to attend a performance at South by Southwest.

Today, one of the teen's favorite bands, Jared and the Mill, visited her at St. David's Medical Center to bring songs and smiles to her and her family.

"When Jared contacted us and said can we come it was like this is going to be a huge healing factor for her. We're blessed for sure," said Endres' father Dan.

video at link-
http://www.kvue.com/news/SXSW-band-visits-injured--250485591.html

Third person dies from injuries after SXSW crash

AUSTIN -- A third person has died from injuries sustained in last week's South By Southwest crash.

The Travis County Medical Examiner's Office told KVUE on Monday that the victim was injured after being hit by a car on Red River outside The Mohawk on Thursday, March 13.

KVUE has confirmed that the victim is Sandy Le.

Austin resident Jamie West, 27, and Steven Craenmehr, 35, of Amsterdam, were killed. Twenty-two others were injured. Seven people are still hospitalized.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Third-person-dies-from-injuries-in-SXSW-crash-250628981.html

Third person dies from injuries after SXSW crash

AUSTIN -- A third person has died from injuries sustained in last week's South By Southwest crash.

The Travis County Medical Examiner's Office told KVUE on Monday that the victim was injured after being hit by a car on Red River outside The Mohawk on Thursday, March 13.

KVUE has confirmed that the victim is Sandy Le.

Austin resident Jamie West, 27, and Steven Craenmehr, 35, of Amsterdam, were killed. Twenty-two others were injured. Seven people are still hospitalized.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Third-person-dies-from-injuries-in-SXSW-crash-250628981.html

I just saw a tweet saying the same thing.

Austin Statesman ‏@statesman 27m
Seton Healthcare Family says 3rd person from SXSW crash has died. Sandy Le was last reported in critical condition.

Thanks Softail for keeping this updated.

Rip to all of the deceased from this tragic event! :(

Oh no.........so,so sad...

It is difficult to think beyond the sadness and madness of it all right now but I have this hope that MAYBE, at the very least, it will cause some of the young people who were there to think twice about drinking and driving. Maybe......?????

Teen is fourth person to die from SXSW crash injuries

AUSTIN -- A fatal drunk driving crash during the South By Southwest Festival has claimed a fourth life

De'Andre Tatum, 18, of Fort Worth had been in a medically induced coma at University Medical Center Brackenridge since the crash on March 13. He was pronounced dead on Thursday, March 27, according to our sister station WFAA in Dallas.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/SXSW-crash-claims-fourth-life-252713251.html

So sad.
Had not seen anything about his condition until you posted this, Softail.
The heartbreak continues.

SXSW crash suspect faces 20 new charges

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The driver arrested for in the deadly crash during South by Southwest that killed four people faces more charges.

Travis county jail information now lists 20 new charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for Rashad Owens. At the time of the crash, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said prosecutors would pursue capital murder charges for each of the deaths as well.

Owens, 21, remains in police custody after a district court judge set his bail at $3 million.

After being treated and released for minor injuries sustained in the crash, Owens agreed to a breath test. It showed his blood-alcohol content as .114, according an arrest affidavit. The legal limit in Texas in .08.

A fourth victim, DeAndre Tatum, died Thursday from injuries he sustained after Owens’ car plowed through a crowd of people waiting for a South by Southwest concert earlier this month. The crash killed three others and injured dozens more.

http://kxan.com/2014/04/01/sxsw-crash-suspect-faces-20-new-charges/

​Jury selection launches in trial of SXSW car rampage suspect
AUSTIN, Texas -- Jury selection is scheduled to begin Monday in the trial of a man accused of driving into a crowd at Austin's South by Southwestmusical festival last year, killing four people.

Rashad Owens faces a total of 26 charges including capital murder and aggravated assault, reports CBS affiliate KEYE.
(...)
Owens' trial reportedly begins Nov. 2. He has pleaded not guilty, and his lawyer tells the station he is remorseful.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jury-selection-launches-in-trial-of-sxsw-car-rampage-suspect/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back