Found Deceased TN - David Riemens, 60, Watertown, 8 Aug 2012

tnhybrid

Reaction score
Thank you!

Looks like there's a great community of folks actively searching on FB. I plan to hang a few flyers this week myself.

NamUs Profile

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/17805

Case Information
Status
Missing
First name
David
Middle name
Martin
Last name
Riemens
Nickname/Alias
Date LKA
August 08, 2012 11:00
Date entered
10/16/2012
Age LKA
60 to 60 years old
Age now
60 years old
Race
White
Ethnicity
Other
Sex
Male
Height (inches)
67.0 to 68.0
Weight (pounds)
180.0 to 185.0

I've been checking in on the FB page from time to time... So sad, and frightening that someone can just disappear without a trace (which I'm learning here on WS happens more than some folks realize.)

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/riemens_david.html

riemens_david.jpg
riemens_david2.jpg
riemens_david3.jpg
riemens_david4.jpg

Still nothing locally on this case. I have the bad feeling this is going to be one where a hunter eventually stumbles on some bones.

This is an interesting case. I was looking at the information from the "David is Missing" facebook page. They said they pulled permits of people building houses in the general vicinity. I am so surprised that didn't turn up any leads. They state that he went missing with an elderly man, but they have not identified the man, nor did I see where a man came forward about this case to say he was working with David.

No man was reported missing around the same time that David went missing in TN. There is no one on NAMUS and no one on the TN missing adults website.
(can i just say that I checked the "TN missing adults" website and it is awful? it only has missing persons with last names A-C and then it abruptly stops. terrible.)

There is one man who fits the age range of 60-70 who went missing around that time, but he's from California.

Seeing as a second person hasn't been reported missing in this case I'm leaning more towards foul play and less towards a car accident on the way to/from the job site. They stated that he went to the job site on two previous occasions to get bricks, so it is surprising to me that they haven't found anything when searching the different permits around that area. I wonder why he didn't drive his own car and meet him at the site or follow him there?

This is an interesting case. I was looking at the information from the "David is Missing" facebook page. They said they pulled permits of people building houses in the general vicinity. I am so surprised that didn't turn up any leads. They state that he went missing with an elderly man, but they have not identified the man, nor did I see where a man came forward about this case to say he was working with David.

No man was reported missing around the same time that David went missing in TN. There is no one on NAMUS and no one on the TN missing adults website.
(can i just say that I checked the "TN missing adults" website and it is awful? it only has missing persons with last names A-C and then it abruptly stops. terrible.)

There is one man who fits the age range of 60-70 who went missing around that time, but he's from California.

Seeing as a second person hasn't been reported missing in this case I'm leaning more towards foul play and less towards a car accident on the way to/from the job site. They stated that he went to the job site on two previous occasions to get bricks, so it is surprising to me that they haven't found anything when searching the different permits around that area. I wonder why he didn't drive his own car and meet him at the site or follow him there?

BBM. I used to work for a general contractor and actually I would not necessarily have expected to get information from building permits. My initial guess is that a contractor would want an estimate from David that he (the contractor) could include in a bid for the person who wanted the work done. This might be a year or more before construction would begin. It was certainly worth a try, though.

This is certainly a baffling case. Looking at the Facebook page he seems to have had many good friends -- not at all likely that he would have walked away. What strikes me as really odd is that in all this time, nobody seems to be missing the other man. Is there any indication of who he was?

BBM. I used to work for a general contractor and actually I would not necessarily have expected to get information from building permits. My initial guess is that a contractor would want an estimate from David that he (the contractor) could include in a bid for the person who wanted the work done. This might be a year or more before construction would begin. It was certainly worth a try, though.

This is certainly a baffling case. Looking at the Facebook page he seems to have had many good friends -- not at all likely that he would have walked away. What strikes me as really odd is that in all this time, nobody seems to be missing the other man. Is there any indication of who he was?

I guess since the family said there was a foundation laid, I expected there to be at least a permit to begin foundation work??
There's always the possibility that
1. They were building without a permit
2. They had started foundation construction years before, took a break, and then started to bid additional work on the construction.

There doesn't seem to be ANY indication of who the other man was. I don't feel 100% about whether the man he left the Dollar General with was the contractor or the owner of the property he was bidding.
They suggest that the older man who owns the property may have a name that sounds like "Carl" or "Earl"

David seems like a wonderful artist and builder. They have many of his paintings and rock work (fireplaces, etc) up on their facebook page.

Without any more information than is posted on this thread, I would say that the elderly gentleman had a car accident on the way to wherever they were going, and they have gone over an embankment, or some similar situation.

Without any more information than is posted on this thread, I would say that the elderly gentleman had a car accident on the way to wherever they were going, and they have gone over an embankment, or some similar situation.

If that were the case, I'm just surprised that elderly gentleman hasn't been reported missing by his loved ones...

I wonder how David came in contact with this individual? Was it through an internet ad for help ....or a personal recommendation....or a casual meeting?

I think it sounds like David may have encountered an older man who had more in mind than building. Hope the future holds answers for David's loved ones. Not knowing anything would be horrible.

If that were the case, I'm just surprised that elderly gentleman hasn't been reported missing by his loved ones...

or neighbors or even the postman. If David was packed for a trip, this must have been a small job that wasn't going to take him long to complete. Perhaps a chimney or front steps that needed repair. If David was up on this man's roof doing repairs, could he have fallen and this older man gotten scared and covered it up. Are there rural areas around or could this man's house have been set away from other homes? I would ask LE what a reasonable search area would be, a radius around the Dollar Store and then search for homes with single men. It sounds like David, just being friendly, would jump into the other man's vehicle if the man looked harmless and if the man said it was a little complicated to get to his home. Maybe David felt like talking and the man looked like he would be fun to talk to. You never know if someone older is going to panic, get confused and think they are going to be in trouble if a worker gets hurt even if it was an accident.

Just saw this today and it caught my eye because we are moving to this exact area in TN shortly. I have been in the parking lot of that Dollar General before.

I will say that TN seems much more lax in the permit/ permission process that what my husband and I are used to here in the Northeast. When we inquired about things like septic systems, we were told they could be just a 55 gallon drum buried in the yard.

We looked at many rural properties in this area and another thing should be note. Because of the topography, you could be building something and have no one know what was going on. It is hilly, densely wooded in spots and rural. It is only an hour outside of Nashville, but it is certainly not over developed or heavily populated. There is also a lot of uninhabited ground that people do not walk or use on a regular basis.

And after reading the Facebook page, to give you an idea, the property we bought has stone walls and barns on it. This description describes 100% of the properties we looked at in the area. I think in total we looked at between 8-10 properties in Dekalb, Smith and Wilson Counties. And there were many more listed that we did not look at as they did not match our criteria!

Just one more thought- was David looking for work on Craig's List or advertising there?

There have been multiple cases in PA of people being attacked, robbed and/or murdered from responding to ads on Craig's List.

Just saw this today and it caught my eye because we are moving to this exact area in TN shortly. I have been in the parking lot of that Dollar General before.

I will say that TN seems much more lax in the permit/ permission process that what my husband and I are used to here in the Northeast. When we inquired about things like septic systems, we were told they could be just a 55 gallon drum buried in the yard.

We looked at many rural properties in this area and another thing should be note. Because of the topography, you could be building something and have no one know what was going on. It is hilly, densely wooded in spots and rural. It is only an hour outside of Nashville, but it is certainly not over developed or heavily populated. There is also a lot of uninhabited ground that people do not walk or use on a regular basis.

Thanks! Interesting local-color info. Sounds scary in a way... these days of crazy meth use...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back