UTAH-Gov signs bill to remove kids from murder suspects

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
The bill has the endorsement of the family of missing West Valley City mom Susan Cox Powell, whose children were murdered by their father, Josh Powell, after a lengthy custody battle with Susan’s parents.

“I had some former police officers from West Valley, call me from out of the blue and say had this bill been in effect, they believe not only would they have named Josh Powell as the prime suspect but it would have protected these boys,” Weiler said.
SMH

Video at link

http://fox13now.com/2014/03/20/gov-signs-bill-to-remove-kids-from-murder-suspects/

What a disconnect; it brings tears to think that Susan's sons might have been saved if this law were in place.

Why, if something this common sense would have had LE name Powell, then wasn't it understood that a parent suspected of the crime of murder shouldn't have custody? Where was CPS? Where was anyone to save them?

At the same time, I can see where this bill could go wrong. Innocent people are accused of murder. I can't imagine dealing with that, plus having your children taken away. It would be enough to make some people commit suicide.

A few years back, a client was accused of shaking his foster son to death. CPS took away his children. He was eventually acquitted because independent examiners discovered underlying medical issues which causes his death due to the birth mother's use of drugs while pregnant. It took him years, despite his acquittal, to get his children back from CPS.

I will be the first to say, most people accused of murder are guilty. And the situation with the boys in this case just makes me sick and sad. But I can still see where this bill could go horribly wrong.

What a disconnect; it brings tears to think that Susan's sons might have been saved if this law were in place.

Why, if something this common sense would have had LE name Powell, then wasn't it understood that a parent suspected of the crime of murder shouldn't have custody? Where was CPS? Where was anyone to save them?

IMO, Susan should have saved her kids and herself from her husband. Did you watch that video she made recording all of her and Josh's belongings? She must have known something was up with Josh. It appears that she had a good support system going on for her. She should have moved back in with her father and mother or one of her friends from church. I have heard she wanted to keep her eternal marriage together. She was responsible for protecting those kids. It was not as if she had nobody in the world. I am not blaming the victim here but just saying a parent needs to step up to protect their children. If there is not a parent or family member to step up and help their kin..then let CPS/the government help out.

IMO, Susan should have saved her kids and herself from her husband. Did you watch that video she made recording all of her and Josh's belongings? She must have known something was up with Josh. It appears that she had a good support system going on for her. She should have moved back in with her father and mother or one of her friends from church. I have heard she wanted to keep her eternal marriage together. She was responsible for protecting those kids. It was not as if she had nobody in the world. I am not blaming the victim here but just saying a parent needs to step up to protect their children. If there is not a parent or family member to step up and help their kin..then let CPS/the government help out.

Hindsight is 20/20. I doubt she had any idea of what Josh was planning. It can sneak up on you. I refuse to blame the victim.

BBM. Sure sounds like it. :(

I hope it significantly defines what constitutes a murder suspect, otherwise anyone can take your kids away from you any time by accusing you of some unsolved murder.

I understand the trepidation but, in this case, most people thought that the boys should not have been with Josh.

BILL TEXT:

This bill:
12 . expands the definition of neglect to include a child's contact with a natural parent
13 who is identified by a law enforcement officer as the primary suspect in an active
14 murder investigation where the alleged victim is the natural parent's cohabitant or
15 who is being prosecuted for or has been convicted of murder or aggravated murder
16 of the natural parent's cohabitant;

http://le.utah.gov/~2014/bills/sbillint/sb0173.htm

I hope it significantly defines what constitutes a murder suspect, otherwise anyone can take your kids away from you any time by accusing you of some unsolved murder.

From bill text:

(A) is identified by a law enforcement officer as the primary suspect in an active
460 murder investigation where the alleged victim is the natural parent's cohabitant; or
461 (B) is being prosecuted for or has been convicted of murder or aggravated murder of

462 the natural parent's cohabitant.

Mightn't this have given Jennifer Graves an avenue to address the court? LE wouldn't have had to release information publicly but, in the confines of family court, evidence would have been presented. Unfortunately, this is a moot point when it comes to Susan's sons.

Hindsight is 20/20. I doubt she had any idea of what Josh was planning. It can sneak up on you. I refuse to blame the victim.

She feared for her life. IMO, it sounds like she did not trust JP and was scared of him. JP had threatened her. You wrote "It can sneak up on you." What is "It"?

SP is probably dead. She has no hindsight. I do think she had foresight. Thus, the video and the secret last will and testament.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...re-disappearance-208583251.html?tab=video&c=y

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back