Do You Think This Cop Was Off Base?

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
This is from last year, but an interesting subject;

[video=youtube;IrgE_c8XgEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrgE_c8XgEM[/video]

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...o-shows-heated-traffic-stop-article-1.1460953

VIDEO: Stun gun-brandishing Ohio officer on paid leave after alarming footage shows heated moments after traffic stop
The incident at a Washington Township mobile home park escalated Sunday when 40-year-old Aaron Tatkowski confronted Officer Eric Hart, who had just pulled over the man’s daughter-in-law. The video shows Tatkowski, his girlfriend and son on the ground and Hart pointing a stun gun. Police say the internal investigation is ongoing.
BY Erik Ortiz
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, September 19, 2013, 10:19 AM

An Ohio cop has been placed on paid administrative leave after a video shows a routine traffic stop after it spun out of control.

The Washington Township Police Department says it’s investigating how Sunday’s incident escalated with a man, his girlfriend and his 14-year-old son all being cuffed — and the officer brandishing a stun gun at the man....

http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-F...n-Twp-officerput-on-leave-returns-to-job.html

Washington Twp. officer put on leave returns to job
Review of traffic-stop video finds no wrongdoing

A Washington Township police officer is back on the job after authorities found no wrongdoing on a videotape of a traffic stop that had resulted in him being placed on paid administrative leave.

The tape, viewed more than a million times since it was posted online, depicts an encounter Officer Eric Hart had with at least two people Sept. 15 when he stopped a vehicle at 166 Pine Ridge St. in Raintree Village for having a license registration sticker that appeared to have been altered....

It looks like it crosses the line, but the more I find out about the story :dunno:

Steely
What else did you find out about this story?

IMO the people in the car were asking for trouble. I have no problem with the officer pulling out a stun gun when he was outnumbered and people are acting stupid and not following commands.

It is hard to tell because we don't have the first part of the incident.
But the police car is now blocked in by the pickup truck and the people on the ground are threatening the officer and saying their friends are going to come. Policeman in over his head and alone. Thought the officer should of not responded to the threats verbally, but did not see him hurt anyone. Hard call but the blocked in police car, verbal threats, aggressiveness seem to put the policeman in the right. He did not pull his gun and although he appeared afraid handled it without injury to anyone.

IMO the people in the car were asking for trouble. I have no problem with the officer pulling out a stun gun when he was outnumbered and people are acting stupid and not following commands.

I tend to agree with this.

LEO was outnumbered, and more ppl were gathering in the area, not seeming (to me) to support LE.
The detainees swore & insulted him, challenged authority, etc.
Even though 3 ppl were cuffed and on the ground, why did they not shut up, as he requested?
How hard would that have been for them to do?
It seems, imo, the detainees were not showing any sign of cooperation w LE.
I can't see that LEO drawing weapon, in these circumstances, is inappropriate show of force.
And it was a stun gun, not designed for lethal use.

JM2cts.

My only big problem with this is that he grabbed a bystanders cell phone and threw it.

The cell phone grab was over the top.

Having said that what is wrong with that couple? Why are they screaming, yelling and acting like crazy people? If they wanted the cop to calm down why didn't THEY calm down?

The cell phone grab was over the top.

Having said that what is wrong with that couple? Why are they screaming, yelling and acting like crazy people? If they wanted the cop to calm down why didn't THEY calm down?

I agree. The only thing that bothers me is throwing the cell phone. The people were wackadoodles. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back