Mom Jailed for Breastfeeding While Drinking, Waitress Fired Over It

Wow. This is complicated. Mom shouldn't have been drinking/or she could have been feeding formula, and then the drinking, she could have been given a pass on, I'm not her judge. After a funeral, it's not unreasonable behavior. Why was the waitress fired?

I'm kind of shocked that a mother would breastfeed while drinking alchohol. In public. It's surprising.

I guess for calling the cops. If mom is truthful and just had 2 beers over a couple of hours though would it even affect the milk? I dont think it was more than a bad error of judgment though.

I never breastfed so I dont really know if you can have a drink or 2 while your BF.

In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom’s blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom’s body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

I think the mother is a idiot. Can't believe she has 3 others kids!!! Anything you eat/drink is passed through your breast milk. This is just like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, you are passing on alcohol to your child- whether you are sober enough to drive or not!!!
And the waitress did the right thing and shouldn't have been fired!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Per Hale (2012), “mothers who ingest alcohol in moderate amounts can generally return to breastfeeding as soon as they feel neurologically normal.”

The American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Breastfeeding notes: “ingestion of alcoholic beverages should be minimized and limited to an occasional intake but no more than 0.5 g alcohol per kg body weight, which for a 60 kg mother is approximately 2 oz liquor, 8 oz wine, or 2 beers. Nursing should take place 2 hours or longer after the alcohol intake to minimize its concentration in the ingested milk.”

I think the mother is a idiot. Can't believe she has 3 others kids!!! Anything you eat/drink is passed through your breast milk. This is just like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, you are passing on alcohol to your child- whether you are sober enough to drive or not!!!
And the waitress did the right thing and shouldn't have been fired!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

LOL, no. I'm not a big drinker but I did drink once or twice while breastfeeding them. None of them are damaged, in fact all 4 are gifted :loveyou: Alcohol doesn't immediately appear in the breast milk so drinking at the same time as feeding is ok. It is later that you need EBM or formula if you've gotten yourself drunk. I never drank alcohol or coffee while I was pregnant though. That was too risky for me.

I prefer to take my medical advice from doctor or a lactation consultant that some waitress. She absolutely should have been fired. A quick google on her phone would have told her it is safe. If she isn't smart enough to search and understand the research, she isn't smart enough to give out advice and should have kept her uneducated trap shut.

In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom’s blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom’s body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.

I love you momrids, you're always so darn sensible :loveyou:

I love you momrids, you're always so darn sensible :loveyou:

bbm; sensible author; Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

What is an IBCLC

An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is a health care professional who specializes in the clinical management of breastfeeding. An IBCLC is certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners®, Inc. under the direction of the US National Commission for Certifying Agencies. An IBCLC works in a wide variety of health care settings, including hospitals, pediatric offices, public health clinics, and private practice.

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3832

The best time to drink is while you're breastfeeding or immediately after. The alcohol hasn't had time to make it to the milk. This is ridiculous.

She says she only had two beers. I don't believe her. I want to hear from the bartender.

The waitress did the right thing IMO. The restaurant should not have fired her. She did not impose her will on the family - she called the police so that they could make the judgment call. I don't see any cops losing their jobs despite the fact that they arrested the mother and had her arrange for a sober ride for her infant.

Who was going to drive these people home if they were all drinking?

If this lady had driven drunk and hurt her child, we'd all be screaming bloody murder about the waitress and the restaurant that did nothing. I'm glad the waitress did something and I believe she did the right something.

LOL, no. I'm not a big drinker but I did drink once or twice while breastfeeding them. None of them are damaged, in fact all 4 are gifted :loveyou: Alcohol doesn't immediately appear in the breast milk so drinking at the same time as feeding is ok. It is later that you need EBM or formula if you've gotten yourself drunk. I never drank alcohol or coffee while I was pregnant though. That was too risky for me.

I prefer to take my medical advice from doctor or a lactation consultant that some waitress. She absolutely should have been fired. A quick google on her phone would have told her it is safe. If she isn't smart enough to search and understand the research, she isn't smart enough to give out advice and should have kept her uneducated trap shut.

Years ago, uneducated traps also believed drinking during pregnancy was okay. Research uncovered fetal alcohol syndrome The article says the waitress observed a number of empty booze glasses in front of the mother and others. She did the right thing in reporting it. She's better off working elsewhere. I wouldn't work for such a place that only cared about income from the booze it was selling rather than the crying baby that was being ignored.

Although police arrested Adams for endangering her baby, ABC News contributor Dr. Jennifer Ashton, a practicing ob-gyn, told “20/20” that surprisingly little research has been done on drinking while nursing.

“Conventional wisdom will say that breastfeeding is best for both the mother and the baby, and that moderate consumption, which really means once and a while to consume a drink, probably will not do any harm for the baby,” Ashton said. “But we have to remember that alcohol is a toxin. It’s especially toxic to the newborn's brain, to the developing brain.”

It is unclear how much alcohol gets into the mother’s milk while drinking, and the science is imprecise. Still, there are options for nursing mothers who want to have a drink now and then, said Ashton.

Per Hale (2012), “mothers who ingest alcohol in moderate amounts can generally return to breastfeeding as soon as they feel neurologically normal.”

The American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Breastfeeding notes: “ingestion of alcoholic beverages should be minimized and limited to an occasional intake but no more than 0.5 g alcohol per kg body weight, which for a 60 kg mother is approximately 2 oz liquor, 8 oz wine, or 2 beers. Nursing should take place 2 hours or longer after the alcohol intake to minimize its concentration in the ingested milk.”

[bbm]

this is exactly what she did - she drank two beer (according to her) and then nursed her child within the two hour or longer window quoted above

she said they were there for an hour and a half

[bbm]

this is exactly what she did - she drank two beer (according to her) and then nursed her child within the two hour or longer window quoted above

she said they were there for an hour and a half

Did the waitress ask for a sample of the breast milk so that she could use the test strips?

Yes momrids, I used kellymom all the time while I was breastfeeding. I've spent a total of 5 years breastfeeding so I used her a lot. Thankfully my friendship group is mad up by a large number of OBs, midwives, lactation consultant and Aus Breastfeeding Association counsellors so I've been incredibly lucky.

Breastmilk with a small amount of alcohol is still
better for your baby than artificial baby milk.

http://www.lrc.asn.au/ABA_Alchohol_BF.pdf

The American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs considers alcohol compatible with breastfeeding.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/alcohol.html

There is a risk in feeding a baby formula too, but we don't go around calling the police every time we see someone feeding a baby crap in a can. We think "poor baby" tut and walk away.

Calling the police as a first line response is just obnoxious imo There's a big difference between what the mother says happened and what the waitress (who showed up after they'd been there a while and wasn't working or serving them) says happened. A normal person would approach the mom before calling the police, imo. Especially when they don't know first hand what the situation is. jmo

There is a risk in feeding a baby formula too, but we don't go around calling the police every time we see someone feeding a baby crap in a can. We think "poor baby" tut and walk away.

True. And I guaranty she wouldn't have called the police even if every single person at the table was smoking -- even though that would be far more harmful. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back