CA CA - Oakland, WhtFem 333UFCA, 16-25, strangled in hotel room, Oct'69

Richard

Reaction score
1969 California Murder: Victim Unknown, Killer known but still at large

Unidentified Caucasian Female
The victim was discovered on October 2, 1969 in Oakland, Alameda County, California. Manner of death is homicide.
The Doe Network: Case File 333UFCA

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 16 - 23 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 105 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Medium-length, dark brown hair; blue eyes.
Dentals: The victim wears a partial denture for an old extraction of a front upper central incisor tooth. The partial denture is commercially made and has been repaired several times

Case History
The unidentified woman entered room 15 of the St. Louis Hotel in Oakland, which is currently the site of the North Alameda County Jail, with a man named Taylor Morris Teaford on October 2, 1969. He beat and strangled her with an article of her own clothing and there is currently a warrant out for his arrest for her murder. Fingerprints of the victim are available.
Teaford may also go by the name of "Melvin Teaford", his date of birth is June 18, 1935, height 6'0", weight 185 lbs. and he has black hair and brown eyes.
Taylor Morris Teaford. Agency Case Number: 69-2266 NCIC Number: N/A

If you have any information about this case please contact:
Oakland Police Department, Lieutenant Jim Emery 510-238-3949

Source Information:
Fugitive.com
Oakland Police Department

Link: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/333ufca.html

In 1967, Teaford was accused of murdering his own grandmother, wounding his sister and shooting at a Madera County Deputy Sheriff during his escape. Madera County had a warrant for his arrest but it has since been recalled. The victim in the Oakland murder case has never been identified.

Near botton of page:
http://www.fugitive.com/f-murder.html

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, he has never been captured after all these years? Is there a chance he is maybe in jail currently but is using an alias? I just find it hard to belive that he has never been arrested since for a different crime since he is obviously violent.

I'm hoping he is captured soon b/c I would bet he knows this girls name who he killed. If he is still alive he will be 71 in june.

I found this while doing a search for melvin teaford. If he was picked up for rape while being wanted for murder then why is he out of jail?http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/cgi/prosoma.dll?searchBy=offender&id=1869503800720

2sisters said:
Just to make sure I understand this correctly, he has never been captured after all these years? Is there a chance he is maybe in jail currently but is using an alias? I just find it hard to belive that he has never been arrested since for a different crime since he is obviously violent.

I'm hoping he is captured soon b/c I would bet he knows this girls name who he killed. If he is still alive he will be 71 in june.

I found this while doing a search for melvin teaford. If he was picked up for rape while being wanted for murder then why is he out of jail?http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/cgi/prosoma.dll?searchBy=offender&id=1869503800720
The two websites do have different dates and it is confusing. I have a tendency to think that the Offender Registry is showing a typo and that it should read 1969 vice 1996.

That could explain it. I thought 1996 was the last time he had any contact with authorities. Is there any way to find out when the rapes he was arrested for were commited? I guess I just have a bad feeling that this man fell through the cracks in the justice system.

2sisters said:

I agree with Richard... I think it is a mistake on the Registry.

You are RIGHT about the fact he has committed other crimes. Based on the date he would have been a sex offender in June of 1969 before he murdered the lady in the hotel... and has (IMO) probably committed other crimes of an even more violent nature afterwards.

Like you said he could be in prison somewhere under an alias... but you would think if he had been in the system (1969) before for as a sexual predator they would have his finger prints on file... but that was years ago and his prints may have been lost.

This was also on the Registry Info:

Offense Code
Description 261.3PRIOR CODE-RAPE BY FORCE
264.1RAPE/ETC IN CONCERT WITH FORCE/VIOLENCE
  • CRIPPLED RIGHT LEG
  • TEAFORD, MORRIS
  • TEAFORD, TAYLOR MELVIN
I am curious why the warrant was recalled. Any ideas... someone?

I would like to see the picture from the time of the attack... all I can find is the age enhanced photo.

Yaya said:
... I am curious why the warrant was recalled. Any ideas... someone? I would like to see the picture from the time of the attack... all I can find is the age enhanced photo.
I do not know the answer as to why the warrant was recalled. Most likely because of the time lapse. Maybe it had to be reviewed and renewed on a yearly basis or something.

You hear a lot about the FBI's Most Wanted List, and most other police offices of major cities and states have something similar. Much is made of an arrest when someone on the list is captured or killed. But you don't hear much about those that they don't catch. After a while, they are quietly retired to a cold case file and some other dirtbag gets the honor of being on the list.

The origional wanted poster for Teaford would have a photo much closer to the 1969 offense, and the police department that made the earlier arrests would have booking photos of him. If he was in prison at any time, there would also be photos of him on file with the correctional system of that state.

It has been quite some time since anyone has posted to this thread. Here is some information on Teaford which was sent in to Law Enforcement Cold Case Officers:

Current location of this fugitive is unknown. Oakland Police Department website indicates that he has been at large since 1969.

From Oakland PD website:
Name: Taylor Morris Teaford
Sex: MaleDate of Birth: 06/18/35
Crime Location: Oakland, Calif.
Reporting Agency: Oakland Police Department

Details: The Oakland Police Department is currently seeking fugitive Taylor Morris Teaford on a warrant charging him with the 1969 murder of a woman at the St. Louis Hotel in Oakland.

Detectives report that Teaford allegedly entered the hotel which was located at the site of the North Alameda County Jail. While in room #15, he allegedly beat her beyond recognition and then strangled her to death with an article of her own clothing. In 1967, Teaford was accused of murdering his own grandmother, wounding his sister and shooting at a Madera County Deputy Sheriff during his escape. Madera County had a warrant for his arrest but it has since been recalled. The victim in the Oakland murder case has never been identified. One photo is of Teaford about the time of the murder and the other photo has been age enhanced.

---------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

Apparently, Teaford was living in North Dakota and managed to get a record there under his own name.

The following information came from a current North Dakota website of Sexual Offenders. It gives his address as shown, but indicates that he has been "in violation" of the registry rules since 1996. Perhaps North Dakota authorities might be able to assist in his arrest if he is still living and has contacts there.

Last Name: TEAFORD
First Name: TAYLOR
Middle Name: MORRIS

THIS SEX OFFENDER HAS BEEN IN VIOLATION OF REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS SINCE 06/29/1996.

Description Offenses: Offense Code Description 261.3 PRIOR CODE-RAPE BY FORCE 264.1 RAPE/ETC IN CONCERT WITH FORCE/VIOLENCE

Scars/Marks/Tattoos: CRIPPLED RIGHT LEG

Known Aliases: TEAFORD, MORRIS TEAFORD, TAYLOR MELVIN

Last Known Address: PO BOX 48 NORTH FORK, 93643 County: MADERA Zip Code 93643

Date of Birth: 06-18-1935

Sex: MALE

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 170

Eye Color: BROWN

Hair Color: BLACK

Ethnicity: AMERICAN INDIAN

This information was sent to me by someone who joined here and never posted...

So here is the email I got in full:

In response to questions asked in the forum/message boards. He was indeed charged with rape. This happened 3 or 4 years before the murder and shooting in North Fork. He and 2 or 3 boys raped a young girl on reservation up there. He was tried in Juvenile court and did some time. You might be interested to know that One of the boys was stabbed in the Corse Gold bar and died.One was killed in a hit and run accident and one was stabbed and later died,then of course there was what Teaford did.
Hope this will help answer some questions.

This cold case turned 40 years old last October. This woman is still unidentified and Teaford is still at large. He would be 75 years old today.

Her height is 3" off, and her age is well above the upper limit. Her eye color doesn't match, and there is no mention of dentures or drug abuse. Also, her DLC is a day after the date that Jane Doe was found.

While each of these things by themselves would not necessarily rule her out, cumulatively they make this very unlikely.

It is interesting though, that the date of discovery and DLC are a day apart.

Her height is 3" off, and her age is well above the upper limit. Her eye color doesn't match, and there is no mention of dentures or drug abuse. Also, her DLC is a day after the date that Jane Doe was found.

While each of these things by themselves would not necessarily rule her out, cumulatively they make this very unlikely.

It is interesting though, that the date of discovery and DLC are a day apart.

I agree that there seem to be quite a few differences which would tend to argue against a match here. But when you consider all the close similarities, I wonder if it might not have been the same perpetrator responsible for both girl's disappearance/murder.

If this guy is a serial killer, it is quite possible that he was seeking someone very similar to an earlier victim. This sort of thing is not uncommon for some Serial Killers.

I would much wonder if this man is living on a reservation somewhere, for him not to have been found for so long it makes me wonder. They have their own govermant and as long as he is behaving himself on the reservation, he would prob. not be noticed as wanted anywhere... that is if he is still alive. moo and all that.

for what it is worth, Teaford is not showing up in the Social Security Death Index. that does not mean, however, that he is alive. If he's been employed since 1969, he probably was not working under his own social security number so I'm not optimistic that his death (under his real name) will ever be reported back to the Soc. Sec. Administration.

I agree with Richard... I think it is a mistake on the Registry.

You are RIGHT about the fact he has committed other crimes. Based on the date he would have been a sex offender in June of 1969 before he murdered the lady in the hotel... and has (IMO) probably committed other crimes of an even more violent nature afterwards.

Like you said he could be in prison somewhere under an alias... but you would think if he had been in the system (1969) before for as a sexual predator they would have his finger prints on file... but that was years ago and his prints may have been lost.

This was also on the Registry Info:

Offense Code
Description 261.3PRIOR CODE-RAPE BY FORCE
264.1RAPE/ETC IN CONCERT WITH FORCE/VIOLENCE
  • CRIPPLED RIGHT LEG
  • TEAFORD, MORRIS
  • TEAFORD, TAYLOR MELVIN
I am curious why the warrant was recalled. Any ideas... someone?

I would like to see the picture from the time of the attack... all I can find is the age enhanced photo.

Often times a warrant is recalled in cases such as rape, assault etc. due to victim being unavailable or refusing to assist. I see it all the time. If they cannot make contact with victim with a reasonably short time, warrants are usually refused. I've seen them refused in a little over twenty four hours due to no contact with a victim. One of the most disturbing cases I had to deal with was a guy that preyed on homeless men, he would offer them shelter and take them back to his place and rape them. Since LE could never locate his victims (homeless people often lead very transiet lifestyles) warrants were always refused.

This is a long shot but I thought I would bring it here so you all could have a look at it.

Even though the doenetwork on this young lady reports her missing as 03 OCT 1969.

I wonder if they ruled Ann out?

CA Ann Bernice Duncan, 31, San Francisco, 03 OCT 1969 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I think that it might be a good possibility. I can't be sure if she was last seen on 3 October 1969, or if she had an appointment that day that she missed.

San Francisco is just across the bay from Oakland.

------------------------------------
Ann Bernice Duncan, 31, Missing since October 3, 1969 from San Francisco, CA

Ann Bernice Duncan
Missing since October 3, 1969 from San Francisco, San Francisco County, California
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 11, 1938
Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 105-115 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair Marilyn Monroe style and length. Medium long with styled curl. Hair was fine in texture. Sometimes colored it blonde. One time had a red wig, so it could have been in the reddish tones too; hazel, large eyes.
Medical: Is double jointed; Can place the back of her hands on her hips, fingers pointing backwards, and bring her elbows together in front of her.
Clothing: Would dress casually but fashionably stylish. Often wore a scarf because of the wind.
AKA: Ann Bernice Burns
Dentals: Available (Charting)
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Oct 3, 1969 for an appointment with Social Services in San Francisco, regarding placement of her then 6 week old infant son in foster care. She never showed up for her next appointment.

The courts later declared the baby was abandoned by all parents, and deemed available for adoption. Routine weekly visits to her other children in foster care abruptly stopped in this same approximate time frame. Family feels she would not have abandoned her children whom she dearly loved, and although was not able at the time to care for them herself, visited weekly without fail while all were in foster care.

Occasional phone calls routinely made to her mother also stopped in this time frame. From 3 different statements Ann made to 3 different people, family feels she was fearful of her well being and suspect she may have been murdered.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

San Francisco Police Department
Inspector Joseph Carroll
415-558-5508

E-Mail: joseph.carroll@sfgov.org

Agency Case Number: 090372734

Source Information:
CA DOJ
The Doe Network: Case File 2843DFCA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2843dfca.html

I think that it might be a good possibility. I can't be sure if she was last seen on 3 October 1969, or if she had an appointment that day that she missed.

San Francisco is just across the bay from Oakland.

------------------------------------
Ann Bernice Duncan, 31, Missing since October 3, 1969 from San Francisco, CA

Ann Bernice Duncan
Missing since October 3, 1969 from San Francisco, San Francisco County, California
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 11, 1938
Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 105-115 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair Marilyn Monroe style and length. Medium long with styled curl. Hair was fine in texture. Sometimes colored it blonde. One time had a red wig, so it could have been in the reddish tones too; hazel, large eyes.
Medical: Is double jointed; Can place the back of her hands on her hips, fingers pointing backwards, and bring her elbows together in front of her.
Clothing: Would dress casually but fashionably stylish. Often wore a scarf because of the wind.
AKA: Ann Bernice Burns
Dentals: Available (Charting)
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Oct 3, 1969 for an appointment with Social Services in San Francisco, regarding placement of her then 6 week old infant son in foster care. She never showed up for her next appointment.

The courts later declared the baby was abandoned by all parents, and deemed available for adoption. Routine weekly visits to her other children in foster care abruptly stopped in this same approximate time frame. Family feels she would not have abandoned her children whom she dearly loved, and although was not able at the time to care for them herself, visited weekly without fail while all were in foster care.

Occasional phone calls routinely made to her mother also stopped in this time frame. From 3 different statements Ann made to 3 different people, family feels she was fearful of her well being and suspect she may have been murdered.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

San Francisco Police Department
Inspector Joseph Carroll
415-558-5508

E-Mail: joseph.carroll@sfgov.org

Agency Case Number: 090372734

Source Information:
CA DOJ
The Doe Network: Case File 2843DFCA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2843dfca.html

But the original info says blue eyes and this missing woman had hazel eyes?

I don't know how careful they are with those details, but...?

But the original info says blue eyes and this missing woman had hazel eyes?

I don't know how careful they are with those details, but...?

Yes, admittedly, there are some descrepancies between the two cases.

However, sometimes when John Doe caes are resolved, the height estimate is found to have been off by several inches, and I recall one case where the age estimate was off by more than 20 years.

Regarding eye color, some people describe green or green-blue color eyes as "hazel".

I don't think that any one factor being off should necessarily "rule out" a possible solution or match. One has to allow some latitude for mistakes and discrepancies in comparing missing person cases with unidentified victims.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back