CANADA Canada - Yvonne Leroux, 16, North York, Ont, 30 Nov 1972

dotr

Reaction score
Yvonne Leroux

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/04/03/50k-reward-offered-in-north-york-girls-1972-murder/

"York Region police are offering a $50,000 reward in a renewed push to find the killer of a 16-year-old girl murdered more than four decades ago.

A passerby found Yvonne Leroux’s body along 16th Sideroad between Keele and Jane streets in King City on Nov. 30, 1972. She had died from blunt force trauma to the head.

“It’s on my mind 24 hours a day,” said Yvonne’s father Gerry Leroux, 83"

This is haunting!
That dear Father loves his little girl, she was only 16!
The pain in Mr Leroux's voice and eyes, could shatter the ice of the coldest heart.
jmo.
bbm

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2014/03/29/orillia-man-haunted-by-daughters-unsolved-murder

“To me, this reward was just like a pot of gold dropping on your lap,” Leroux said. “I can’t thank … the detective enough for what he is doing on my behalf.”

When Yvonne was 15 years old, she began spending time with a bad crowd. She started experimenting with drugs. Leroux believes she got mixed up in a gang, that she got in too deep, knew too much.

“She tried to get away from them. She tried to get out of the gang and didn’t want to get our family involved in the gang,” Leroux said.

Yvonne was the second of four children. When Leroux is in the woods outside his home, he said he can hear Yvonne talking to him.

“I just sit there listening to the birds and, sometimes, I hear her. I hear her voice saying ‘Daddy, they’re hurting me,’” Leroux said.
"

http://metronews.ca/news/windsor/989808/cold-murder-case-could-have-windsor-connection/

bbm.
" A $50,000 reward has been posted in an effort to revive interest in the case. Police are also looking for clues from as far away as Windsor.

According to Sgt. Clint Whitney, Leroux lived in Windsor as a child, and frequently visited the area after her family moved to Toronto.

“Any tip, no matter how small, could yield the critical piece of information that solves this,” Whitney said.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/30/toronto-police-look-to-solve-1972-slaying

"It’s been nearly 42 years since Yvonne Leroux’s lifeless body was found at the 16th Sdrd. of King Township between Jane and Keele Sts.

The grim discovery of the 16-year-old Weston girl, who had been last seen the evening of Nov. 29, 1972 near Humber River Hospital in North York, would be made a day later. The coroner’s office determined blunt force trauma to be the cause of death.

Now, York Regional Police, with the help of Toronto Police, is bringing this cold case back into the public eye and offering a $50,000 reward for anyone with information leading to an arrest."

http://cornwallfreenews.com/2014/05...ice-cold-case-friday-may-30-2014-cps-opp-tps/
bbm.

"York Regional Police requests public’s assistance with 1972 cold case, $50,000 reward offered, Yvonne Leroux, 16

Friday, May 30, 2014 – 9:31 AM
Corporate Communications
1 866-876-5423 ext 7

York Regional Police has asked us to post the following:

tps may 30The Regional Municipality of York Police Services Board is offering a $50,000 reward in an effort to solve the 1972 murder of a 16-year-old Weston youth. The reward will be in effect until March 26, 2015.

On Thursday, November 30, 1972, the body of 16-year-old Yvonne Leroux of Weston (Toronto), was located on 16th Side Road between Jane Street and Keele Street in King Township. Blunt force trauma was determined to be the cause of death. The investigation revealed that Yvonne was last seen in the evening on November 29, 1972, near the York Finch General Hospital (known today as the Humber River Hospital), located at Finch Avenue and Norfinch Drive in North York (Toronto).

At the time of the murder, officers conducted interviews and investigated information supplied by the public, however the death of Yvonne Leroux remains unsolved.

Yvonne Leroux is described as approximately 5’3″, with a medium build, with long, dark brown wavy hair, last seen wearing a navy-blue wool coat, a white shirt, blue jeans, a metal chain around her neck, and and three-quarter-length tan boots with zippers, and carrying a brown purse.

Despite the passage of time, investigators in our Homicide Unit remain actively committed to solving this case. With the advent of new forensic techniques and input from members of the public, investigators are hopeful that they will be able to move the investigation forward.

Anyone with information is asked to contact York Regional Police at 1 866-876-5423 ext 7865, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook. Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World."

1a9db401-7f11-4b22-a378-70d1c9f4fb13_zps2292ec3d.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/yvonne-leroux-killing-still-unsolved-42-years-later-1.2851483

More than four decades after Yvonne Leroux was found dead in York Region, police have not given up their attempts to find out who killed her...

Killby said that police have a male DNA profile from the crime scene, which remains unidentified.

Cold Case Files: Ontario police continue to hunt Yvonne Leroux’s killer 44 years later

http://globalnews.ca/news/2978893/cold-case-files-ontario-police-on-the-hunt-for-yvonne-lerouxs-killer-44-years-later/

Diane Leroux has seen a lifetime pass and still has no answers around who killed her 16-year-old daughter, Yvonne Leroux.

“You think about it over the years, she was only 16. I have grandchildren from my oldest daughter, from my son and my youngest daughter. I have none from her,” Diane said.

“Something that you had is gone and it’s gone and gone forever,” said Diane. “And there’s nothing you can do about it.”

It’s been 44 years since Yvonne’s death and police are still on the hunt for the person responsible.

[video=youtube;7RpKuK9vGQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RpKuK9vGQ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RpKuK9vGQ8[/video]

rbbm
http://caledoncitizen.com/?p=17377

Police renew $50,000 reward in King cold case

April 18, 2016 ·
By Mark Pavilons
York Regional Police have not given up hope of cracking a 44-year-old murder case.
They’re offering a $50,000 reward for information that helps them solve the 1972 murder of 16-year-old Yvonne Leroux.
The body of 16-year-old Leroux of Weston (Toronto), was located in King Township, on the 16th Sideroad, between Jane Street and Keele Street Nov. 30, 1972.

The investigation revealed that she was last seen the evening of Nov. 29, 1972, near the York Finch General Hospital (known today as the Humber River Hospital), at Finch Avenue and Norfinch Drive in North York.
She was a student at Toronto’s Emery Collegiate
and had been involved in the city’s drug scene for about a year and a half. At roughly 7 p.m. that night, she left her parents’ home on Topeka Road to attend a group therapy session

With the advent of new forensic techniques and input from members of the public, investigators are hopeful that they will be able to move the investigation forward.
The reward will be in effect until March 26, 2017.
Anyone with information on this case is asked to contact the York Regional Police Homicide Bureau at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7865, or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS, or leave an anonymous tip online at www.1800222tips.com or text a tip by sending TIPYORK and a message to CRIMES (274637).

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...-46-years-ago-leaves-one-last-puzzle-for-mom/
August 21 2017
[h=1]COLD CASE — Yvonne Leroux, killed 46 years ago, leaves one last puzzle for mom[/h] [h=2]Mother of Yvonne, Diana has a number of theories about what happened to her including motorcycle gangs, police as $50K reward remains in place[/h] by Jeremy Grimaldi

According to Diana, the family's troubles began one July 1 1971, when Yvonne took her brother Joey to a nearby fireworks celebration. Once there, her mother said Yvonne accepted a ride from a male acquaintance who said he was going to pick up three friends.

Her mother said Yvonne came home at around 11 p.m., two hours after young Joey did. She was crying and said she'd been raped by four boys. Police reports show charges were laid, but eventually withdrawn in Dec. 1971.

Soon after, Diana said Yvonne took the dog she raised from a rescued puppy and ran away from home.

“All I did was drive around looking for her,” said Diana. “I was very upset.”

It was only months later that a relative in Windsor said she'd seen Yvonne in town.

Despite spending hours scouring the Southern-Ontario border town, Diana never found her daughter. Nine months later, Yvonne returned home, this time with three tattooed dots in the shape of a triangle on the web of skin between the thumb and the index finger on both hands.

This tattoo is often associated to gangs and Diana believes it signified that Yvonne was now "property of the gang" she told her mother she'd got mixed up with.

Although Yvonne never explained which motorcycle gang she'd been associating with, she did say that she'd told them “no” and left after they insisted that she become a drug runner.

“She was under the thumb of that gang,” Diana added. “She wouldn't tell me the name of the gang, she said 'I am putting you in danger if I tell you too much'.”
Police said prior to her murder, Yvonne was living with a friend's family, the Grechs and dating a man older than her named Donald Ranger.

When Diana and Yvonne told police, Diana said one detective told her: “If it was my daughter, I wouldn’t let her out of my sight”.

About one month before she went missing, Diana said Yvonne was at a local venue decorating for an event with Gerry, when Yvonne came running inside, frightened for her life and said: “Oh my god, they are out there, they want to kill me”.

Sometimes Diana said she felt as though someone was following her and noted how one particular neighbour told her all those years ago that he’d witnessed a car parked outside her home repeatedly.

The autopsy report, according to Diana, had abrasions on the back of both hands, something she associates with the gang trying to destroy the tattoos on her hands.

Diana said police told her Yvonne was living under an assumed name, and sometimes calling herself Linda Jessop and JJ.

She also explained how Yvonne came to her in a dream and said the name of one of the men involved in the murder — uttering the words Bonafiglio or Brugafiglio.

In 2014 York police announced a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case. Police wouldn't divulge much information about the male DNA profile discovered at the scene, but did say inquiries have been made by York Regional Police with the Centre for Forensic Sciences in regards to that sample as late as 2016.
rbbm

rbbm
Codi Wilson November 15, 2023
1700067903308.png
''Her body was found 24 kilometres north of where she was last seen the night before at a clinic near York Finch General Hospital, now known as Humber River Hospital.

Police said an autopsy later determined that the cause of death was blunt-force trauma to the head.

Despite decades of investigation and a $50,000 reward, a suspect was never caught.

On Wednesday, York Regional Police confirmed that through the use of investigative genetic genealogy (IGG), Leroux’s killer has now been identified.

The suspect, identififed by investigators as 26-year-old Bruce Charles Cantelon, took his own life just two years after the murder, police said. According to police, Cantelon had a criminal record that involved violent incidents against women.

Police could not say whether the two knew one another prior to the murder.

More to come…''

''Through resulting information, along with an exhaustive review of public and archival records and evidence gathered through traditional police techniques, investigators were able to identify relatives of the suspect and eventually the offender himself: Bruce Charles Cantelon.

Cantelon was a 26-year-old who was living in Toronto at the time and known to police, having committed several violent offences against women. He was incarcerated at various times in his life due to mental health issues. In 1974, 19 months after the murder, Bruce Cantelon committed suicide in Toronto. If he was alive today, he would be facing a charge of Murder.

YRP owes its gratitude to the Leroux family for its ongoing support in very difficult circumstances.

In addition, investigators could not have achieved this result without the help of law enforcement partners, especially the Toronto Police Cold Case Unit. Thanks as well to the Centre of Forensic Sciences, the Office of the Chief Coroner and the Ministry of the Attorney General, for its legal guidance. Thanks also for the diligence and dedication of dozens of investigators over the years.

Now that this information has been released, if anyone has any information about this case or any other cold case, please reach out. Our Cold Case Unit investigators are always available at 1-866-876-5423.

Prepared by:

Sergeant Clint Whitney
72-15841
November 15, 2023''

''Through resulting information, along with an exhaustive review of public and archival records and evidence gathered through traditional police techniques, investigators were able to identify relatives of the suspect and eventually the offender himself: Bruce Charles Cantelon.

Cantelon was a 26-year-old who was living in Toronto at the time and known to police, having committed several violent offences against women. He was incarcerated at various times in his life due to mental health issues. In 1974, 19 months after the murder, Bruce Cantelon committed suicide in Toronto. If he was alive today, he would be facing a charge of Murder.

YRP owes its gratitude to the Leroux family for its ongoing support in very difficult circumstances.

In addition, investigators could not have achieved this result without the help of law enforcement partners, especially the Toronto Police Cold Case Unit. Thanks as well to the Centre of Forensic Sciences, the Office of the Chief Coroner and the Ministry of the Attorney General, for its legal guidance. Thanks also for the diligence and dedication of dozens of investigators over the years.

Now that this information has been released, if anyone has any information about this case or any other cold case, please reach out. Our Cold Case Unit investigators are always available at 1-866-876-5423.

Prepared by:

Sergeant Clint Whitney
72-15841
November 15, 2023''
I was just coming to post the same thing! Glad they finally solved this one!

1700149270267.png

''Yvonne Leroux, 16, was beaten to death by Bruce Charles Cantelon, 26, of Toronto.
Cantelon was a multiple sex offender who killed himself two years after beating Leroux to death in November 1972, York police announced on Wednesday.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

“If he was alive today, he’d be facing a charge of murder,” cold case unit detective Jonathan Nauman told a press conference, flanked by Alvaro Almeida, the YRP deputy chief of investigations.
Cantelon served six years in prison for multiple sexual offences against women, starting at age 18.
Police said Leroux’s murder had nothing to do with outlaw bikers, as was widely speculated at the time of her death.''

'The family said they hope there’s increased funding for DNA testing.
Nauman declined to comment on how IGG is helping with other cold cases.
“We have several cases on the go and I’ll leave it at that,” Nauman said''

Yvonne Leroux murder

Yvonne Leroux, age 16, murdered 30 November 1972

LINKS:

So glad this case has been resolved, even though it is rather anticlimactic, what with the perp long dead, and Yvonne's parents dead as well.

I think the woman who claimed her father - who was a scribe for the Toronto Star and Sun - was a serial rapist and killer of young women and girls alleged Leroux was one of his victims, but don't quote me on that. This news puts the lie to that, however I remember the haunting photos she posted here, photos that her father supposedly took of her standing precariously at Rattlesnake Point, which she claimed preceded his trying to push her off the cliff. I don't recall his name, but it's somewhere in these forums. Years ago, I spoke on the phone to a prominent Toronto Star crime writer about that man. He remembered him with great clarity and suspicion, saying that after he cleared out his desk in the late-'70s, he left behind some very questionable items (suggestive photos of young women, etc.).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back