Yale student told to gain weight

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Yale student: School forced me to gain weight

20-year-old says school threatened suspension, forced mandatory weigh-ins

Published On: Apr 09 2014 12:08:45 PM EDT Updated 1 h

A Yale University student says school doctors told her to either gain weight or take a leave of absence from the school.

The New Haven Register reported that Frances Chan, 20, says she visited Yale's health center in Sept. to have a breast lump examined. The lump was benign, but doctors told Chan during the visit that her weight was too low. At 5'2" and 92 lbs., Chan claimed that she is genetically, naturally thin. Health professionals did not believe her and told her to gain weight or leave the school. They implemented a weight-gain plan for Chan, which included mandatory, weekly weigh-ins with health professionals...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/yale-student-school-forced-me-to-gain-weight/25393612

I'd be interested to know if she had other health clinic visits that Yale thinks are related to her weight. I would think they would only do this to save money if they thought she was abusing the system.

She looks healthy to me in the one photo in the news article but the angle doesn't really show her arms or legs.

There are some good comments under that article about whether the school also implements mandatory health plans for overweight students.

Well I don't believe that kicking people out of their schools ever cured anyone's eating disorder.

Well I don't believe that kicking people out of their schools ever cured anyone's eating disorder.

Kicking out, definitely not. But if she did have an eating disorder then it might be a big wake-up call for the school to call her out on it.

I really don't want to say that she doesn't look like she has an eating disorder, because there are a lot of women that people would deem "Too fat for ED" that suffer from bulimia or anorexia.

I wonder if it's possible that her friends may have noticed "Disordered" behaviour towards food and reported her?

Unless they're kicking people out who are overweight and unhealthy, and putting them on a weight-loss schedule with weekly weigh-ins, I can't imagine they can justify doing this to this girl.

Honestly, she looks like a lot of asians to me. Very thin but her eyes and skin glow.

As a petite Asian woman, I find this Yale doctor's attitude to be racist. Asians are, on average, shorter and have less body fat than other races. However, I am kind of jealous of this student for the fact that someone cares, even if it's misguided. I've had my share of low weight problems stemming from the horrible side effects of antidepressants that the campus doctor prescribed me. She kept track of my weight, but all she did was tell me it was my own fault for not eating.

Maybe there are other contributing factors that caused the M.D. to take such a bold stand?

The height and weight sounds about right to me. Considering she's Asian ...even more so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no place for this sort of behaviour from University officials. If she was a fat girl who was placed on monitoring with a threat of expulsion if she didn't lose weight, there would be howls of outrage. These guys need to learn to mind their own business.

It demonstrates the level of discrimination against thin people that is rampant in society and what hypocrites most people are.

There is no place for this sort of behaviour from University officials. If she was a fat girl who was placed on monitoring with a threat of expulsion if she didn't lose weight, there would be howls of outrage. These guys need to learn to mind their own business.

It demonstrates the level of discrimination against thin people that is rampant in society and what hypocrites most people are.

OMG you have said what. Have tried to tell everyone about myself for over 20 years. Much more eloquently at that. The words your so tiny and your so thin I have come to hate, because they aren't said because I'm naturally this way, they are said because the intentions behind the statements are wrong and hypocritical.

I mean nobody would ever go up to someone and say you're so fat or you could use a pound or two.

My apologies for the rant but there are times when I am brought to tears by the "thin" comments, the caveat for me is there is nothing I can say. How do you defend for over 20 years of your life you've been of a thin build?

I'm gonna stop because I feel I'm getting too wound. My apologies if I offended anyone it was not my intention.

Ty
R

OMG you have said what. Have tried to tell everyone about myself for over 20 years. Much more eloquently at that. The words your so tiny and your so thin I have come to hate, because they aren't said because I'm naturally this way, they are said because the intentions behind the statements are wrong and hypocritical.

I mean nobody would ever go up to someone and say you're so fat or you could use a pound or two.

My apologies for the rant but there are times when I am brought to tears by the "thin" comments, the caveat for me is there is nothing I can say. How do you defend for over 20 years of your life you've been of a thin build?

I'm gonna stop because I feel I'm getting too wound. My apologies if I offended anyone it was not my intention.

Ty
R

PLEASE tell me you are joking.

Look, I'm all for people minding their own business, but fat people get much more discrimination and harassment than thin people. And that's coming from someone who has been both underweight and on the upper end of healthy weight (I've never actually been over weight though).

No one cared when I was underweight, but even my friends told me I needed to lose weight when I got close to the overweight mark.

I'm sorry people have been rude to you about being thin your whole life, but there is far more discrimination against the fat than the thin. Whether you're More likely to be found guilty of a crime than a thin woman, you Earn a lower salary, you're at risk for Losing your welfare benefits, and don't even get me started about the doctor or patient bias.

It sucks to be discriminated against because of your weight. Please don't try to make this into an "Us vs. Them" or "Skinny vs. Fat" thing.

Yale student: School forced me to gain weight

20-year-old says school threatened suspension, forced mandatory weigh-ins

Published On: Apr 09 2014 12:08:45 PM EDT Updated 1 h

A Yale University student says school doctors told her to either gain weight or take a leave of absence from the school.

The New Haven Register reported that Frances Chan, 20, says she visited Yale's health center in Sept. to have a breast lump examined. The lump was benign, but doctors told Chan during the visit that her weight was too low. At 5'2" and 92 lbs., Chan claimed that she is genetically, naturally thin. Health professionals did not believe her and told her to gain weight or leave the school. They implemented a weight-gain plan for Chan, which included mandatory, weekly weigh-ins with health professionals...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/yale-student-school-forced-me-to-gain-weight/25393612

Wow! I am tiny myself! When it rains, I stand under a clothes line to stay dry. This is crazy! I am naturally thin as was my mom. :banghead:

PLEASE tell me you are joking.

Look, I'm all for people minding their own business, but fat people get much more discrimination and harassment than thin people. And that's coming from someone who has been both underweight and on the upper end of healthy weight (I've never actually been over weight though).

No one cared when I was underweight, but even my friends told me I needed to lose weight when I got close to the overweight mark.

I'm sorry people have been rude to you about being thin your whole life, but there is far more discrimination against the fat than the thin. Whether you're More likely to be found guilty of a crime than a thin woman, you Earn a lower salary, you're at risk for Losing your welfare benefits, and don't even get me started about the doctor or patient bias.

It sucks to be discriminated against because of your weight. Please don't try to make this into an "Us vs. Them" or "Skinny vs. Fat" thing.

As a naturally thin person, I completely disagree. Heavy is the norm now. Not only is it the norm, you practically get crucified if you say anything negative about being fat. (Even if it's a generalized health comment, not pointed at a particular person.) I get WAY more "eat a cheeseburger" comments, than my overweight friends or sisters get fat comments. In fact, literally last week, my sister said she hasn't had her weight commented on since highschool. My weight is commented on every week by someone.

Funny thing is, I'm 5 foot 2 and 112. Totally healthy BMI. Not that BMI means a darn thing.

With all that said, weight discrimination is WRONG, no matter which way it goes. I just think the pendulum swings in the way society does. Fat (not meaning that as an insult, rather a literal description) is completely the norm. When I was growing up there were hardly ever any overweight children or teens. (I'm not old!) Now, most are.

One of my parochial school classmates once told me that her mother worried that my (four) siblings and I didn't get enough to eat because we were all so thin :rolleyes:

My dad was 5'11" and slender because he was very active (maintained a large garden, skated, played/coached/refereed ice hockey). Mom was very petite - barely 5' tall and weighed about 90#. She was a stay-at-home Mom until my dad passed away, so she was always busy cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, ironing, taking care of five children.

Similarly, my siblings and I were active in dancing, ice-skating, hockey, riding bicycles, and/or cheerleading, and we walked back and forth to school (nearly a mile). We rarely got sick, did well in school, and, yes, we got enough to eat.

I'm 5"4" and weighed 100 pounds until I hit 40.
I was very self conscious, women often made snarky comments. I used to go to the doctor and get b-12 shots every other week from the 10th grade up until I was 25 years old. I drank protein shakes, ate second helpings at every fatting meal in hopes of gaining a few pounds.

I finally figured out at age 25 ... People were actually jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back