School Bans on Chocolate Milk Backfire

TrackerSam

Reaction score
Banning chocolate milk from schools may sound like a good move for kids' health, but efforts to do so haven't turned out that way, a small study found.

Bans on chocolate milk in 11 Oregon elementary schools were linked to a big drop in the amount of healthy, fat-free white milk students drank, a team of Cornell University researchers reports.

Nicole Zammit, former assistant director of nutrition services at the Eugene School District in Oregon, wasn't surprised by the findings.

"Given that the role of the federal school meal program is to provide nutritious meals to students who may otherwise have no access to healthy foods, I wouldn't recommend banning flavored milk unless you have a comprehensive plan in place to compensate for the lost nutrients when kids stop drinking milk altogether," she said in a Cornell news release.

In the study, researchers analyzed data from 11 Oregon elementary schools that outlawed chocolate milk and replaced it with skim milk. While the bans meant children could no longer get the added sugar found in chocolate milk, there were unexpected consequences.

Total milk sales at the schools fell by 10 percent, the study showed, and students ended up wasting 29 percent more milk than before. And while the students consumed less sugar and fewer calories, their intake of calcium and protein also fell.

After the chocolate milk bans took effect, there was a also 7 percent decrease in the number of students taking part in the Eugene School District's lunch program.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/nutrition/school-bans-on-chocolate-milk-may-backfire

:moo: Imagine that. Out manuevered by a bunch of kids. :facepalm:

I think the goal was for the kids to eat less junk and calories. They achieved that. Kid's don't NEED milk for calcium. With that said, if they want to reduce sugar and calories, they should probably start with all the processed crap they feed the kids. That food has plenty of empty calories and sugar. Not to mention the desserts and juice they serve.

School lunches are absolute junk. Banning chocolate milk does not fix the problem. The food isn't even real!!!

Another failed attempt at social engineering. Didn't they learn anything from Prohibition? Easiest way to popularize something is to ban it.

Total milk sales at the schools fell by 10 percent, the study showed, and students ended up wasting 29 percent more milk than before. And while the students consumed less sugar and fewer calories, their intake of calcium and protein also fell.

After the chocolate milk bans took effect, there was a also 7 percent decrease in the number of students taking part in the Eugene School District's lunch program.

Bad science?

I would have to read the actual study, but correlation does not equal causation. If 7% of the students stopped getting school lunch than at least 7% of that 10% drop in milk sales is due to some other factor. . .kids moving away, etc.

Sometimes I think studies like this are just used as a justification to continue to do what they do. I don't really care one way or the other whether the schools sell chocolate milk. I think it's up to parents to educate their children about healthy eating. My own kids know there is a lot of extra sugar in chocolate milk, but they are children and physically active (all my kids are considered underweight. . .they didn't get that gene from me! :floorlaugh: ) So all things in moderation.

MOO

Total milk sales fell? I have a kid who goes to school not too far away. We were trying to rule out lactose intolerance so I called to see if there was a milk alternative.

I was told that my son would be given a cup for water but that he HAD to take the milk. He could give it away or toss it or whatever but he had to take it. Bizarre and a total waste.

Maybe in Eugene the milk is sold separately? And don't get me started on the crap that the schools serve. On Fridays they can have a big dairy fest - milk, (tiny container of) yogurt, a piece of string cheese, and graham crackers. Eew.

Sounds like some kind of experiment done on kids. Every mom knows that kids drink more milk if it is chocolate. They get a tiny box anyway so why not let them have it, so they will get some fat and calcium from the meal. We need some fat and carbs in our diet. It's no like the schools are still cooking from scratch and providing really great meals anyway.

New PCRM Study Shatters Milk Myth: Children’s Bone Health Tied to Exercise, Not Dairy

For years, the dairy industry’s milk mustache ads have pushed the notion that milk drinking helps children grow strong bones.
A review published in the March 2005 issue of Pediatrics by PCRM senior nutrition scientist Amy Joy Lanou, Ph.D., and co-authors Neal Barnard, M.D., and Susan Berkow, Ph.D., C.N.S.,

shows there is little scientific evidence to support the claim.

http://www.pcrm.org/good-medicine/2005/spring/new-pcrm-study-shatters-milk-myth-childrens-bone

Harvard Milk Study: It Doesn't Do A Body Good

Despite what those milk-mustachioed celebrities in those "Got Milk?" ads have been telling us for years, humans have no nutritional requirement for milk, and it may be doing us more harm than good because of all the sugar even plain non-fat milk contains, according to a new study by a Harvard professor.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/05/harvard-milk-study_n_3550063.html

I always thought that giving more options other than milk or chocolate milk would have been a massive way to cut down on waste. There has to be gallons upon gallons of milk that's just grabbed because we have to and then thrown away. It's the biggest waste ever. Milk that could be given to food banks is instead forced into the hands of children who don't even want it or can't have it. It's absolutely pointless.

Once she referred to chocolate milk (let's be honest: sugar milk) as "flavored milk" the whole scam became pretty obvious. Real food is expensive. Chocolate "flavored milk" is cheap and it isn't food, and as noted the calcium from milk does not magically attach itself to your bones. But if we expect the government to feed our kids for ninety cents a day, flavored milk is what we get.

New PCRM Study Shatters Milk Myth: Children’s Bone Health Tied to Exercise, Not Dairy

For years, the dairy industry’s milk mustache ads have pushed the notion that milk drinking helps children grow strong bones.
A review published in the March 2005 issue of Pediatrics by PCRM senior nutrition scientist Amy Joy Lanou, Ph.D., and co-authors Neal Barnard, M.D., and Susan Berkow, Ph.D., C.N.S.,

shows there is little scientific evidence to support the claim.

http://www.pcrm.org/good-medicine/2005/spring/new-pcrm-study-shatters-milk-myth-childrens-bone

Harvard Milk Study: It Doesn't Do A Body Good

Despite what those milk-mustachioed celebrities in those "Got Milk?" ads have been telling us for years, humans have no nutritional requirement for milk, and it may be doing us more harm than good because of all the sugar even plain non-fat milk contains, according to a new study by a Harvard professor.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/05/harvard-milk-study_n_3550063.html

Yes, I thought this was old news. Picking up heavy stuff builds bones, not drinking milk.

That being said, chocolate milk happens to be the best, cheapest, post work out drink. Forget all those $3 post work out protein shakes. Chocolate milk has the best carb protein ratio for a post work out meal. BUT for children and people not working out, milk is not really an essential food. Many people are lactose intolerant or allergic. I myself have a milk allergy

Yes, I thought this was old news. Picking up heavy stuff builds bones, not drinking milk.

That being said, chocolate milk happens to be the best, cheapest, post work out drink. Forget all those $3 post work out protein shakes. Chocolate milk has the best carb protein ratio for a post work out meal. BUT for children and people not working out, milk is not really an essential food. Many people are lactose intolerant or allergic. I myself have a milk allergy

Myself & my sons are unable to digest casein, a milk protein- so it's old news to me too.
My boys drink chocolate almond milk after working out.

Myself & my sons are unable to digest casein, a milk protein- so it's old news to me too.
My boys drink chocolate almond milk after working out.

Casein hmmm? I don't know what exactly I'm allergic too, but milk flairs my eczema. I can have cheese, yogurt, sour cream, etc. without the same problem. I've been drinking hemp milk lately and I really like it, much better than soy. I'm allergic to almonds. :(

Casein hmmm? I don't know what exactly I'm allergic too, but milk flairs my eczema. I can have cheese, yogurt, sour cream, etc. without the same problem. I've been drinking hemp milk lately and I really like it, much better than soy. I'm allergic to almonds. :(

In cheese, yogurt, sour cream, etc, the huge milk proteins (whey & casein) are broken down by fermentation, processing, etc- easier to digest, less likely to provoke problems.

I won't drink milk unless it's chocolate milk. Can't stand the taste.
I also resented the schools not offering whole milk. Not all kids are fat and don't exercise. My own kid required and still does more calories than the average. He needs whole milk. He needs larger serving sizes
I'm sick of others trying to make everything one size fits all. All children are not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the banned chocolate milk fat-free too? TIA

If necessary, offer short nutrition classes to parents and children rather than this disgusting, stupid and wasteful display of forced shoving of food down the throats of our children. [Yes - an exaggeration but maybe that's next on their agenda!] JMHO!

Force me to take a glass of fat-free [tasteless blue water] white milk and I'd decline [throw it in the trash] too. MOO!

I think schools should start teaching and be less concerned with what my child is or is not eating. We have dietitians for that.. They are teachers nothing more, nothing less.

Personally I love white milk and chocolate milk but>>>> I am not in school. :D.
I am so freakin glad my kids are adults now.
Such bs in public schools about milk and 'other things'. :eek:hoh:

My grandkids will be home schooled and will eat and drink real food with no preservatives and whatever else obamba thinks they should eat/ UGH

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back