1 in 13 kids on PSY meds in the USA

That's insane IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psychiatric drugs are way over-prescribed. The first time I was medicated, I was starting high school, and my psychiatrist warned me it could stunt my growth. I'm now shorter than all my family members. I was having a rough time again as a university student, so I went to a doctor for mental help again. All I had to do was say I was depressed, and voila, a prescription. That was the worst choice of my life because the side effects were so horrible, it put me in the emergency room. My experience with psychiatric medication has been thoroughly traumatic and counterproductive. And to think the reason I was put on them in the first place was because I was led to believe it would help me.

this is a scary statistic and directly responsible IMO is the fact that teachers and school admin tend to recommend ADD ADHD and ODD testing as a kneejerk response to what in most cases is simply children behaving like children.

ebonydarkness, thank you for sharing your own experience.

IMO it's the education system itself that's the problem.
Children aren't meant to sit still, in a chair, all day. They are meant to run, play, explore and learn in a tactile sort of way.
Lots of children can manage to sit still and read at a desk all day ...that doesn't mean it's right, best or in any way natural.

IMO it's the education system itself that's the problem.
Children aren't meant to sit still, in a chair, all day. They are meant to run, play, explore and learn in a tactile sort of way.
Lots of children can manage to sit still and read at a desk all day ...that doesn't mean it's right, best or in any way natural.

THIS. The education system is what led to my psychiatric problems in high school. Antidepressants saved me.
School was a nightmare for me from 2nd grade on. :tears:

Psychiatric drugs are way over-prescribed. The first time I was medicated, I was starting high school, and my psychiatrist warned me it could stunt my growth. I'm now shorter than all my family members. I was having a rough time again as a university student, so I went to a doctor for mental help again. All I had to do was say I was depressed, and voila, a prescription. That was the worst choice of my life because the side effects were so horrible, it put me in the emergency room. My experience with psychiatric medication has been thoroughly traumatic and counterproductive. And to think the reason I was put on them in the first place was because I was led to believe it would help me.

It is overkill to give children psychiatric drugs. I can understand in certain situations though, but still.

I believe it! My son got a diagnosis and prescription in under a half hour, all it took was the Connors scale questionnaire and and a few minutes with a pediatrician. I don't even believe the diagnosis and he is not medicated. He needs extra help at school, has an iep and aids to stick with him and he's progressing nicely. I know there are some kids who legitimately benefit from psych drugs, but there's no way 1 in 13 really need it.

Yes, I agree that it's the schools doing it. I've seen elementary teachers hound parents trying to get kids on ADD meds, and it's supposedly against federal laws for them to do that, or even mention it. They will call in the school nurse if they have to, and they aren't supposed to do it either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back