GUILTY MD - Three children, ages 8-10, murdered in Baltimore, 27 May 2004

MysteryMomma

Inactive
Reaction score
all under the age of 10. It was a news flash.....

OMG! Does anyone have any info on this.

I heard this, too! Seems the mother, who speaks little English found them. Police are talking to "someone of interest." I don't even want to imagine what that poor mom is going through.

Baltimore (AP) - Police say three children were decapitated inside a northwest Baltimore apartment this afternoon.

Police spokeswoman Officer Nicole Monroe tells The Associated Press that the children's mother came home around 5:40 p.m. and found the decapitated bodies.

All three children were under the age of ten.

Monroe says homicide detectives are speaking to a man she calls a "person of interest." She says the man hasn't been arrested, and no charges have been filed. There's no word on what relationship the man had to the family.

Monroe says the children's mother is Hispanic and speaks little English. Neighbors called 911 after she discovered the bodies.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0504/149742.html

I just read this before returning to WS....what is this!!?? This is the second decapitation of children in what, a week??? Who does these things to babies!!??

Sorry for the rant (really is loud in my head!), but sweet gawd, why?? Decapitation??? Babies, fer crying out loud!! I feel such anguish over this.. this poor, poor mother.... I cannot even imagine the depth of her pain.

God bless her and her family.

I really didn't want to look at this story, just from the headline. But I always want to know WHY. Found a little more info

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/lo...n0527,0,6611180.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

"Police said they believe there was some type of dispute between the man and other adults in the families, but they are not sure of the nature of the dispute or when it occurred.

The victims were two girls, both age 9, and a boy, 10, police said. The children were found in a first-floor apartment in separate bedrooms, said Baltimore Police Deputy Commissioner Kenneth Blackwell. A weapon was found outside the apartment, he said."
--
"Blackwell said the children attended school today -- he did not specify which one -- and came home between 3 and 3:30 p.m.

Police said they received a call at 5:25 p.m. from a woman, believed to be a family member, saying, "There's blood all over my apartment. They've killed my family!"

Two arrested, news conference shortly.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/lo...s0528,0,3779363.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

Police identified the suspects in custody as Adan Espinosa Canela, 17, and Policarpio Espinosa, 22. Last-known addresses for the men were not immediately available, and it was unclear what kind of relationship the suspects had, if any, with the victims or their families.

Detectives had been questioning a man about the murders, but it was not immediately clear if he was one of the suspects in custody.

Police today also identified the children as two boys: 9-year-old Ricardo A. Espinosa and 9-year-old Lucero Quesada; and 10-year-old Alexis Quesada, a girl. Police earlier identified the victims as two girls and a boy, but said this morning that they had made a mistake.

Babcat:
Is this some sort of hispanic thing? Some new trend like salsa dancing?

Babcat, that's one of the most racial and insensitive remarks I've ever seen.

Police said the two suspects are cousins and uncles to at least one of the children. Two of the children were partially beheaded, one was decapitated.

Acting police Commissioner Kenneth Blackwell called the killings "an act of someone who obviously has no conscience...a despicable act."

Blackwell said there is no clear motive in the case.--->>

Chief of detectives Antonio Williams said there is no indication the murders were gang-related.

And police said the suspected murder weapon is a 10- or 12-inch butcher's knife found near the crime scene
. --->>

http://www.nbc10.com/news/3357528/detail.html

I wonder if these two young cousins/uncles were the children's babysitters after school and until mother returned from work.

LovelyPigeon said:
Babcat:

Babcat, that's one of the most racial and insensitive remarks I've ever seen.

You don't find the decapitation of three little children in both cases... and the fact that both families are hispanic, just a tad on the coincidental side?? How many decapitations of little children have you read about in the United States prior to these cases? You don't see any possibility that this choice of murder might be somehow cultural? :confused:

If you hear about a guy being found dead with his tongue protruding through his slit throat... do you think "Gee... he must have angered the Swedes!" Or is it now politically incorrect to link the mafia... the mob... and their style of killing, with the Italian and Sicilian communities? Of course now there is the Russian mob and the Asian mob too. I guess those are insensitive terms as well. I wonder if any of them are equal opportunity employers. :waitasec:

If a profiler from the FBI is called in to consult on a case... and the local PD hands him/her a handful of victim photographs, and all are black women... is it insensitive for the profiler to say, "Nearly all serial offenders avoid crossing racial lines, so you are looking for a black suspect." Is that racist? Isn't the objective to actually catch the right guy?

How do you think profilers from the FBI found these things out? They learned what patterns to look for by looking at what had occurred in previous crimes. Just as it is absurd to assume Nick Berg was beheaded by members of the French Olympic diving team... it is equally absurd to assume that blonde, blue eyed, Eminem's musical influences were Barry Manilow and Air Supply. For modern day white rappers like Eminem and, earlier, Mark Wahlberg... and even further back, the blue eyed soul of Hall of Oates, it isn't in the least an understatement to say the music world did not predict such things... and yet they happened.

I say we don't ignore this incredible coincidence of child murder by decapitation having ties directly to the hispanic community in each state. Therefore if we find decapitated little children in the near future with no known suspects at all... it might be helpful to examine the possibility of a connection to hispanic culture. Precious Doe comes to mind offhand. I'd actually like to explore this bizarre choice of murder used by these defendants further... possibly do some research into Mexican, and other hispanic culture rituals that might be somewhat unknown by most.

Ya know... not EVERY reference to race is racist. The salsa music thing was suppose to be sarcasm, but I know Lovely Pigeon is never sarcastic... right?

I just read this on the aol news page and came here to find other links, Babcat what is the other case you are referring to? The apt. complex and school name is mentioned in the news article I read and I can't identify where it is, I am from Balto. and even though the murder rate there is very high it's mostly due to drugs, thugs and domestic violence. With what little is being reported so far I am of the opinion that the suspects arrested were on drugs but I'm truly sick to my stomach over this.

I don't find sarcasm to be a good tool in discussion. The salsa music comparison is insensitive and racial whether it's sarcastic or not.

And no, I don't find anything "cultural" about the decapitation of these children, or a relationship to the story you linked to about children killed by their mentally retarded mother and schizoprenic, paint-sniffing father in Texas. The Texas case involved a fantastical belief about end times and that demons in the children could only be removed by the removal of the children's heads.

In this Baltimore case, one of the children was actually decapitated, and the other two were cut but their heads not removed. I expect that was because the knife was large & sharp, and the decapitation was a result of the throat cutting rather than the intended outcome.

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/3356317/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=2266479&dppid=68758

"WBAL-TV 11 News has learned of a possible link to illegal immigration. Sources told 11 News that the family allegedly failed to make payments and suffered deadly consequences, WBAL-TV 11 News I-Team reporter David Collins reported.

Federal agents began looking into the possibility of illegal immigration Thursday. The victims' mother, however, told investigators Thursday that they didn't owe anybody anything, Collins said. "

http://wjz.com/localstories/local_story_149095906.html

"A relative of the family said the family came from Mexico and has lived in the Baltimore area for three years. The relative also said the family owns a food business"

Thanks for all the links, you guys are great! This is so hard for me, just for different reasons right now I don't wanna go into. The articles about the area are misleading though, I do now know where they are talking about and there's nothing nice or safe about the pimlico area or anywhere within Balto. city or the surrounding county areas. They are constantly revamping and renaming apt. complex's in an attempt to clean up certain areas, never lasts though. I'd like to know just what that stupid P.C. means by an area that you wouldn't expect this to happen? Might explain why things never get any better there, this is just sick beyond belief and shouldn't ever happen anywhere ever!

LovelyPigeon said:
I don't find sarcasm to be a good tool in discussion. The salsa music comparison is insensitive and racial whether it's sarcastic or not.

And no, I don't find anything "cultural" about the decapitation of these children, or a relationship to the story you linked to about children killed by their mentally retarded mother and schizoprenic, paint-sniffing father in Texas. The Texas case involved a fantastical belief about end times and that demons in the children could only be removed by the removal of the children's heads.

In this Baltimore case, one of the children was actually decapitated, and the other two were cut but their heads not removed. I expect that was because the knife was large & sharp, and the decapitation was a result of the throat cutting rather than the intended outcome.

But... since you know little to nothing about this case since it is brand new... regardless of what you may have heard up to this point... you really have no idea if the two cases have anything in common or not. They also said two girls and a boy and then said two boys and a girl.

Paint sniffing schizophrenic?? You mean like Richard Tuite was schizophrenic? Drug abuse triggering that pesky gene against all odds AGAIN, huh? Mentally retarded? I have a neighbor with Down's Syndrome who would know very well that decapitation was "out of the ordinary" and also pretty final. Their heads aren't attached anymore... it is sort of elementary.

I'm not convinced this isn't a learned expression of violence rooted in a culturally based upbringing. Just because YOU seem to be pretty sure you know everything about both incidents, doesn't mean I'm ready to close the case on this one just yet. I could be dead wrong... but maybe I'm not. Wouldn't that make you nuts??

And I happen to like Salsa music and learned the dances from my Columbian neighbors in New Jersey while my three-year-old learned to speak fluent spanish to communicate with their daughter, also three. Funny how kids are so like sponges... and so unlikely to spot those evil racial inuendos. Sometimes I even make jokes about "spin the dreidel" on Hanukkuh with my Jewish friends. :cool:

On the contrary, I am not the one suggesting from 2 entirely different cases that these child murders are "a new Hispanic trend".

As for the Texas case you cited, I mean exactly what the reports on the mother and father have said. The mother has an IQ below 70 which means she is mentally retarded. The father is a diagnosed schizophrenic with a history of paint sniffing that has fried his brain. That doesn't mean that the state of Texas won't hold them completely accountable. In fact, the father has already been convicted and the mother has been declared competent to stand trial.

I recall reading somewhere in my cross cultural sociology and psychology studies (not entirely sure where) in regards to criminology that in some cultures murder with decapitation is meant to display blatent disrespect towards the person murdered or people directly linked to the person.

Babcat, there may not be a tie in between the two cases but the cultural idea could prove to be significant in the Balto. case because the fbi is involved in investigating an imigration pay-off motive and such a heinous crime would be purposeful to instill terror which can be cultural in terms of gang or organized crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back