SD: Deny Parole for Nicholas A. Scherr; murdered girl in 1980

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
tMQYFOGFNkuZlBW-556x313-noPad.jpg

Candace Rough Surface

Nick Scherr. Scherr, a resident of Mobridge South Dakota is currently serving a 100 year prison sentence for the 1980 murder of Candace Rough Surface of Kenel South Dakota.

Scherr is now up for parole; there are people in SD who are saying it was 'just a youthful indiscretion'. smh I believe the story deserves attention because his parole hearing is coming up on May 13, 2014.

Stroh has said he told his wife before they were married that he had helped kill Rough Surface. Because of a bitter divorce, someone in his wife's family apparently decided to tell authorities, according to court records.
At a preliminary hearing, Stroh said his family was on vacation and had stopped for a few days in Mobridge when he, then 15, and his 16-year-old cousin, Scherr, met Rough Surface.

After the three left a party in Scherr's truck, the woman hit him, Stroh said. That angered Scherr, who stopped the pickup truck, dragged Rough Surface outside and raped her, Stroh said.

Stroh said he also raped the woman at the insistence of his cousin. He said they shot her, chained her body to the truck, dragged it to the river and dumped it.

At Tuesday's hearing, defense lawyer Reed Rasmussen of Aberdeen gave a brief account of what happened. He said the killing occurred after a night of drinking.
"She was shot and killed," Rasmussen said. "Mr. Stroh and Mr. Scherr transported the body to the river and put it in the river to hide it."

http://www.mndaily.com/1996/05/08/suspect-finally-pleadsguilty-after-16-years

Deny Parole for Nicholas A. Scherr #0000018139

http://www.change.org/petitions/sou...aign=share_facebook_mobile&recruiter=91288114

CONTACT INFO:

South Dakota Board of Pardons & Parole
PO Box 5911
Sioux Falls SD 57117 - 5911
In Regards to Nicholas A. Scherr #0000018139
Phone (605) 367-5040 Fax (605) 367-5115
http://doc.sd.gov/parole/

Governor Dennis Daugaard
Office of the Governor
500 East Capitol Ave
Pierre SD 57501
Phone Number
http://sd.gov/governor/contact.aspx [link to email]

Jacie Estes - any idea what happened here?

So sorry I missed it. I hope they did not let him out. He hasn't even done 1/2 his sentence yet. As for a youthful indiscretion - I don't think so. It sounds as if he raped her twice? And then drug her chained to the truck - ummmm, that's outright mean. Mean. Comes from a person you wouldn't want walking the streets.

A youthful indiscretion wouldn't have chained and drug her, nor would they have raped her twice.

I certainly hope they didn't let him out.

Salem

Okay - according to this link http://doc.sd.gov/adult/lookup/details/?id=18139

it appears his next review date is 01/01/2015. I'm not sure what that means. Maybe that he can apply again in Jan. 2015? That's just 8 months away. :(

If the link doesn't work, put Nicholas Scherr in the Offender Locator box and the info should pop up.

Salem

He is still in Springfield, Mike Durfee State Prison. That is the prison for sex offenders and violent criminals. Maybe the parole board was given mitigating evidence that caused the delay of decision until 1/15. South Dakota is an entity unto itself; they aren't really big on Sunshine Laws. I have seen cases where someone was murdered and a minimal sentence was received. One case on Cheyenne River reservation, 2 women stabbed a man to death and got 6 years.

Correctional Status - Active Inmate

Even though the crime he committed was heinous, he was charged with and found guilty of manslaughter.

Current Convictions
Transaction #31569
Sentence Date County Crime Sentence
Length Sentence
Adjustment
05/22/1996 Walworth Manslaughter 1st 100y 0m 0d

Okay - according to this link http://doc.sd.gov/adult/lookup/details/?id=18139

it appears his next review date is 01/01/2015. I'm not sure what that means. Maybe that he can apply again in Jan. 2015? That's just 8 months away. :(

If the link doesn't work, put Nicholas Scherr in the Offender Locator box and the info should pop up.

Salem

Unfortunately, there is still lack of parity when it comes to justice here. Mobridge, in Walworth County, is a border town to Standing Rock Reservation and is part of the reason SD is called The Mississippi of the North.

Jacie Estes - any idea what happened here?

So sorry I missed it. I hope they did not let him out. He hasn't even done 1/2 his sentence yet. As for a youthful indiscretion - I don't think so. It sounds as if he raped her twice? And then drug her chained to the truck - ummmm, that's outright mean. Mean. Comes from a person you wouldn't want walking the streets.

A youthful indiscretion wouldn't have chained and drug her, nor would they have raped her twice.

I certainly hope they didn't let him out.

Salem

The latest I read he was up for review 2/1/2016 but if he doesn't get parole the earliest he can get out is 2047 to find out more just go to the South Dakota department of corrections website and type in his name

I hope this will be locked up for life!
I guess that the petition is closed but am happy to sign if needed

After he raped her he chained her body to the pickup truck and dragged it to the river....that is really mean and brutal....it shows no respect. No respect for the living or for the dead, I am hoping she was already dead when that happened. I hope he is never released. :(

I totally agree and in those years that at least 30 people where told what happend with non coming forward to tell the police is absolutly shocking
Rapist and murders living in the community?!! all those years

MAY 3, 2019
Man who raped, killed South Dakota woman in 1980 paroled - KNBN NewsCenter1
[...]

The South Dakota Board of Pardons and Paroles on April 17 approved the release of Nicholas Scherr, 54, once a parole plan is ready in the upcoming weeks.

Scherr pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter for fatally shooting Candace Rough Surface, the mother of a 2-year-old boy, in Walworth County.

Her son, Homer Rough Surface, is now 41. He told the Aberdeen American News that he was unaware his mother’s killer had been granted parole.

“Nobody contacted me about it, not even the court or anything,” Rough Surface said. He believes he should have been given some kind of warning.

[...]

“Growing up without parents, no sibling, that was like one of the worst things in the world, not having anyone to turn to,” Rough Surface said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back