Nigeria - Extremists Kidnap New Group of 200+ Girls, 14 Apr 2014

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/afric...al-find-abducted-girls-20145423528504411.html

bbm

"Nigeria's president has appealed for international help to find, and ensure the release of, 276 schoolgirls abducted by suspected Boko Haram fighters, amid criticism over government inaction.

Goodluck Jonathan said on Sunday that he had sought help from the US President Barack Obama, and also approached other world powers including Britain, France and China for help on security issues.

"This is a trying time for this country... it is painful," he said, and pleaded for the cooperation of parents, guardians and the local communities in the rescue efforts.

"We will get over our [security] challenge," he stated, adding that Nigerians were "justified if they expressed their anger against government" over the perceived slowness in rescuing the girls who were kidnapped from their hostel in Chibok town, in northeast Borno state, on April 14.

He assured that the "disappearance" of the girls would not be another global "mystery" in reference to the missing Malaysian passenger jet that has not been found despite the vast multi-national search deployed.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/nigeria-missing-girls/article18459078/

"The Islamist militant group Boko Haram claimed responsibility on Monday for the abduction of more than 200 schoolgirls during a raid in the village of Chibok in northeast Nigeria last month.

“I abducted your girls,” Abubakar Shekau said in a video received by Associated Press and Agence France-Presse. He added that: “By Allah, I will sell them in the marketplace.”

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/05/world/africa/nigeria-abducted-girls/

"There is a market for selling humans. Allah says I should sell. He commands me to sell. I will sell women. I sell women," he continued, according to a CNN translation from the local Hausa language.

Boko Haram means "Western education is sin." In his nearly hourlong, rambling video, Shekau repeatedly called for Western education to end.

"Girls, you should go and get married," he said.

The outrageous threat means the girls' parents worst fears could be realized. Parents have been avoiding speaking to the media for fear their daughters may be singled out for reprisals".

Well, that took a loooooooong time in coming!
What on earth does he need President Obama for if several girls have already escaped?

http://abusidiqu.com/breaking-abducted-schoolgirls-raped-15-times-daily-report/

The paper reports that “under President Goodluck Jonathan, the Nigerian government appears to have done little except issue an entirely false claim that most of the girls had been rescued by defence forces.”

It quotes Mma Odi, executive director of the Nigerian charity Baobab Women’s Human Rights, as saying: “It is a very bad situation for those girls. The men went to the school for no other reason than to make them their sex objects. The men will have reduced them to sex slaves, raping them over and over again. And any girl who tries to resist will be shot by them. They have no conscience.

“The conditions will be terrible and it seems like the government has just abandoned them because they are girls and they are poor. If they were the sons of the rich, the government would act.

#BringBackOurGirls

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/05/boko-haram-sell-schoolgirls_n_5266560.html

"Civic organizations had warned earlier that the young women were being forced to marry extremists for as little as $12 and had been trafficked across the borders with neighboring Chad and Cameroon.

Also on Monday, Nigeria arrested the leader of a protest group that called on authorities to do more to find the kidnapped girls. A source told Reuters that Naomi Mutah Nyadar had been detained for allegedly falsely claiming that one of the abducted girls was her daughter".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/05/boko-haram-sell-schoolgirls_n_5266560.html

"Civic organizations had warned earlier that the young women were being forced to marry extremists for as little as $12 and had been trafficked across the borders with neighboring Chad and Cameroon.

Also on Monday, Nigeria arrested the leader of a protest group that called on authorities to do more to find the kidnapped girls. A source told Reuters that Naomi Mutah Nyadar had been detained for allegedly falsely claiming that one of the abducted girls was her daughter".

BBM

"@hbusman, other women in Abuja #BringBackOurGirls and I are ALSO NOW AVAILABLE to be DETAINED for SAYING the #ChibokGirls are our DAUGHTERS."

http://www.juliablaise.com/2014/05/chibok-woman-leader-naomi-nyadar.html

#BringBackOurGirls

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/will-the-world-act-to-help-nigeria-s-missing-schoolgirls-1.2632983

bbm
"Will the world act to help Nigeria's missing schoolgirls?
It's taken almost three weeks for the outrage to reach Western capitals
"

" If you happened to watch the Boko Haram video claiming responsibility for the abduction of Nigeria's more than 200 schoolgirls, you too have become witness to what could ultimately be seen as an act of self-defeat.

You would also be one of millions who have now watched the extremist Islamist group's shocking update on the girls' fate.

Note the words in the video. There is no doubt the speaker, Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, is very aware that this is his moment of fame, and that his group's infinitely cruel act on April 14 has riveted many around the world, perhaps just as it had hoped.

"Just because I took some little girls in Western education, everybody is making noise," he says mockingly, with a slight giggle, flanked on each side by a masked gunman.

"Let me tell you, I took the girls. Girls go and get married. We are against Western education.

"I repeat I took the girls, and I will sell them off. There is a market for selling girls."

There most certainly is

It is so routine, in fact, that before this case came to light, it barely made headlines.

It is the same with child marriage. It all goes on with near impunity in Nigeria and in many other places, too, save for those few dedicated organizations that just as routinely fight valiantly to end such practices, to no avail.

What's different about this case is that child slavery, and very possibly forced child marriage, has happened en masse. Wholesale.

In the video, Shekau claims God commanded him to sell the girls"

This situation is so horrible, I am really surprised it is not getting more attention here.

The New York Times just reported: Extremists Kidnap New Group of Girls in Nigeria as Uproar Grows
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/07/w...-over-kidnapping-of-nigerian-schoolgirls.html

Unicef said that the second kidnapping involved at least eight girls who were seized by extremists to prevent them from attending school. It called the latest abduction “an outrage and a worsening nightmare for the girls themselves, and for the families of the more than 200 girls who have been stolen from their communities in the last several weeks.”

U.S. security team heading to aid Nigeria in search and rescue kidnapped girls

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...aping-captors-article-1.1781475#ixzz30yC5NHTu

Three weeks after nearly 300 schoolgirls were kidnapped in Nigeria, the White House announced it’s dispatching a U.S. security team to aid in the rescue operation.

“Time is of the essence,” spokesman Jay Carney said Tuesday.

Word that the U.S. is preparing to send military and law enforcement personnel to Nigeria comes as the government there is facing a fierce backlash over its handling of the April 15 mass abductions.

Carney said the U.S. team will share expertise in intelligence, investigations, hostage negotiating and victim assistance.

No other details were immediately known.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...aping-captors-article-1.1781475#ixzz30yBojnZ4

BBM

Lovely Nigerian Government .... not even protecting schools.... and arresting women for wanting their daughters back....
:maddening: :maddening: :maddening:

#BringBackOurGirls

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2014/05/06/21652356.html

"Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan welcomed a U.S. offer to send an American team to Nigeria to support the government's efforts to find the girls, the U.S. State Department said on Tuesday.

The United Nations warned Boko Haram that if they carried out their leader's threat to sell the girls, they would forever be liable to prosecution for war crimes, even decades after the event.

"We warn the perpetrators that there is an absolute prohibition against slavery and sexual slavery in international law. These can ... constitute crimes against humanity," U.N. human rights spokesman Rupert Colville said in Geneva.

The military's inability to find the girls in three weeks has led to protests in the northeast, Abuja and Lagos, the commercial capital. More are expected on Tuesday in Abuja, just as delegates will be collecting their badges to allow them entry to the hotel where the WEF will take place.

British Foreign Minister William Hague reiterated an offer of help to Nigeria on Tuesday, after calling the abductions "disgusting and immoral".

http://www.680news.com/2014/05/07/more-school-girls-abducted-in-nigeria/

"In the meantime, the parents are frantic. Through sobs and jagged gasps for air, the mother of a missing 15-year-old said she had lost confidence in the authorities.

“I am so very sad because the government of Nigeria did not take care of our children and does not now care about our children,” said the mother, who spoke on condition of anonymity to protect her daughter. “All we have left is to pray to God to help them and help us.”

The mother of six wondered what would happen to her daughter’s lofty ambition to become a doctor. She said the girl spent her time caring for the family, and would cook whatever her mother wanted to eat.

“She is my first-born, the best,” said the mother, who broke into a scream followed by wails of sorrow. “What am I to do as a mother?”

Update..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/boko-haram-nigerian-schoolgirls-337k-reward-offered-1.2634365

"Nigerian police offered a 50 million naira ($337,000 Cdn) reward today to anyone who can give credible information leading to the rescue of more than 200 schoolgirls abducted by Islamist rebels.

Last month's mass kidnapping by militant group Boko Haram in the remote northeastern village of Chibok triggered an international outcry and protests in Nigeria, piling pressure on the government to get the girls back.

As world concern mounts over the fate of nearly 300 kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls, U.S. President Barack Obama said Tuesday that the U.S. will do everything it can to help Nigeria find them"

I was friends with a British ex-patriot who lived in Nigeria for years. She had a home that had a generator for power that went out often and had sparse internet off and on.

Kidnapping oil workers was common in her area and at one point the Nigerian army had bunkers across from her home protecting her from militant kidnappers and common criminals. Nigerian life was no picnic but she was a real trooper.

She had a compound with drivers, housekeepers and her housekeepers children. For food and medicine she would fly from Lagos to Amsterdam with empty suitcases and fill them with food and clothing for those in her home.

Food shopping in Nigeria sounded like some small shops. They could not import sewn clothing, sewing clothes provided jobs there. Fake fertilizer being sold was a problem as they tried growing more food and making the fields more fertile.

Sometimes we have to be grateful for what we have in the US. She finally packed up and left to Ghana and is living a much safer life now.

And here they are in copy-and-pastable format:

Abigail Bukar
Aisha Ezekial
Aisha Lawan
Aishatu Grema
Alshatu Musa
Amlna All
Anthonla Yahonna
Asabe All
Asabe Manu
Awa Abge
Awa Bltrus
Awa James
Awagana Musa
Blessing Abana
Christiana Bltrus
Christy Yahi
Comfort Amos
Contort Hablla
Debora Yahonna
Deborah Abari
Deborah Abbas
Deborah Abge
Deborah Amos
Deborah Jafaru
Deborah Peter
Deborah Soloman
Docas Yakubu
Ell Joseph
Esther A yuba
Esther John
Esther Joshua
Esther Markus
Esther Usman
Falta Lawan
Fatima TabJI
Febl Haruna
Filo Dauda
Gloria Dama
Gloria Malnta
Glory Yaga
Godiya Bltrus
Grace Paul
Hadlza Yakubu
Hallma Gamba
Hamsatu Abubakar
Hana Stephen
Hanatu lshaku
Hanatu Musa
Hanatu Nuhu
Hasana Adamu
Haul Joseph
HauwaAbdu
Hauwa Baltl
Hauwa lshaya
Hauwa lsuwa
Hauwa Kwakwl
Hauwa Musa
Hauwa Mutah
Hauwa Nkekl
Hauwa Peter
Hauwa Takal
Hauwa Tella
Hauwa Wule
Hauwa Ylrma
Helen Musa
lhyl Abdu
Jlnkal Yama
Juliana Yakubu
Jummal John
Jummal Paul
Kabu Malia
Kauna Lalal
Kauna Luka
Kume Mutah
Kummal Aboku
Kwadugu Manu
Kwanta Simon
Ladl Ibrahim
Ladl Joel
Ladl Paul
Ladl Wadal
Laraba John
Laraba Maman
Laraba Paul
Laraba Yahonna
Llyatu Habltu
Luggwa Samuel
Luggwa Sanda
Lugwa Mutah
Lydia Emmar
Lydia Habila
Lydia Simon
Malta Dama
Malmuna Usman
Malrama Abubakar
Malrama Yahaya
Margret Shettlma
Margret Watsal
Margret Yama
Mary All
Mary Amor
Mary Dauda
Mary Paul
Mary Sule
Mary Usman
Mary Yahona
Mary Yakubu
Maryamu Bulama
Maryamu Lawan
Maryamu Musa
Maryamu Wavl
Maryamu Yakubu
Monica Enoch
Mull Wallgam
Muwa Daniel
Mwa Malam Pogu
Na'oml Bltrus
Na'oml Luka
Na'oml Yahonna
Naomi Adamu
Naomi Philimon
Naomi Zakaria
Nguba Buba
Palmata Musa
Patiant Dzakwa
Pindar Nuhu
Racheal N keki
Rahap Ibrahim
Rahila Bitrus
Rahila Yahanna
Rakiya Kwamtah
Rebeca Joseph
Rebecca Kabu
Rebecca Luka
Rebecca Mallum
Rejoice Musa
Rejoice Sanki
Rhoda John
Rhoda Peter
Rifkatu Amos
Rifkatu Galang
Rifkatu Soloman
Rifkatu Yaku bu
Ruth Amos
Ruth Bitrus
Ruth lshaku
Ruth Joshua
Ruth Kollo
Ruth Lawan
Ruth Ngladar
Safiya Abdu
Salomi Pogu
Saratu Ayuba
Saratu Dauda
Saratu Emmanuel
Saratu Markus
Saraya Amos
Saraya Mal Stover
Saraya Musa
Saraya Paul
Saraya Samuel
Saraya Yanga
Serah Samuel
Sicker Abdul
Solomi Titus
Suzana Yakubu
Tabitha Hyelampa
Tabitha Pogu
Tabitha Silas
Talata Daniel
Yana Bukar
Yana Joshua
Yana Pogu
Yana Yidau
Yanke Shittima
Yayi Abana
Zara lshaku

I know practically nothing about Nigeria. I've lived in Europe and North America--that's all. Never even set foot in Africa. Probably met maybe ten people from Africa in my entire life. My history classes hardly covered African history at all. How much does what I know, the assumptions I make, even apply to this?

This is a real question, not a rhetorical one: What can a bunch of mostly-American people do about something in Nigeria? Because, personally, I'm stumped, frustrated, and feeling very helpless.

I've never even heard of a large-scale kidnapping like this taking place. People get taken in ones and twos. Or people get taken hostage because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and someone wanted hostages. Or there's a massacre and people in one place are killed. But a large-scale kidnapping... That'd be crazy scary even if they were adults. But they're children, and that's even worse.

Thanks ZaZara and chaotic_idealism. Yes these girls have names. Makes it more real.

And here they are in copy-and-pastable format:

Abigail Bukar
Aisha Ezekial
Aisha Lawan
Aishatu Grema
Alshatu Musa
Amlna All
Anthonla Yahonna
Asabe All
Asabe Manu
Awa Abge
Awa Bltrus
Awa James
Awagana Musa
Blessing Abana
Christiana Bltrus
Christy Yahi
Comfort Amos
Contort Hablla
Debora Yahonna
Deborah Abari
Deborah Abbas
Deborah Abge
Deborah Amos
Deborah Jafaru
Deborah Peter
Deborah Soloman
Docas Yakubu
Ell Joseph
Esther A yuba
Esther John
Esther Joshua
Esther Markus
Esther Usman
Falta Lawan
Fatima TabJI
Febl Haruna
Filo Dauda
Gloria Dama
Gloria Malnta
Glory Yaga
Godiya Bltrus
Grace Paul
Hadlza Yakubu
Hallma Gamba
Hamsatu Abubakar
Hana Stephen
Hanatu lshaku
Hanatu Musa
Hanatu Nuhu
Hasana Adamu
Haul Joseph
HauwaAbdu
Hauwa Baltl
Hauwa lshaya
Hauwa lsuwa
Hauwa Kwakwl
Hauwa Musa
Hauwa Mutah
Hauwa Nkekl
Hauwa Peter
Hauwa Takal
Hauwa Tella
Hauwa Wule
Hauwa Ylrma
Helen Musa
lhyl Abdu
Jlnkal Yama
Juliana Yakubu
Jummal John
Jummal Paul
Kabu Malia
Kauna Lalal
Kauna Luka
Kume Mutah
Kummal Aboku
Kwadugu Manu
Kwanta Simon
Ladl Ibrahim
Ladl Joel
Ladl Paul
Ladl Wadal
Laraba John
Laraba Maman
Laraba Paul
Laraba Yahonna
Llyatu Habltu
Luggwa Samuel
Luggwa Sanda
Lugwa Mutah
Lydia Emmar
Lydia Habila
Lydia Simon
Malta Dama
Malmuna Usman
Malrama Abubakar
Malrama Yahaya
Margret Shettlma
Margret Watsal
Margret Yama
Mary All
Mary Amor
Mary Dauda
Mary Paul
Mary Sule
Mary Usman
Mary Yahona
Mary Yakubu
Maryamu Bulama
Maryamu Lawan
Maryamu Musa
Maryamu Wavl
Maryamu Yakubu
Monica Enoch
Mull Wallgam
Muwa Daniel
Mwa Malam Pogu
Na'oml Bltrus
Na'oml Luka
Na'oml Yahonna
Naomi Adamu
Naomi Philimon
Naomi Zakaria
Nguba Buba
Palmata Musa
Patiant Dzakwa
Pindar Nuhu
Racheal N keki
Rahap Ibrahim
Rahila Bitrus
Rahila Yahanna
Rakiya Kwamtah
Rebeca Joseph
Rebecca Kabu
Rebecca Luka
Rebecca Mallum
Rejoice Musa
Rejoice Sanki
Rhoda John
Rhoda Peter
Rifkatu Amos
Rifkatu Galang
Rifkatu Soloman
Rifkatu Yaku bu
Ruth Amos
Ruth Bitrus
Ruth lshaku
Ruth Joshua
Ruth Kollo
Ruth Lawan
Ruth Ngladar
Safiya Abdu
Salomi Pogu
Saratu Ayuba
Saratu Dauda
Saratu Emmanuel
Saratu Markus
Saraya Amos
Saraya Mal Stover
Saraya Musa
Saraya Paul
Saraya Samuel
Saraya Yanga
Serah Samuel
Sicker Abdul
Solomi Titus
Suzana Yakubu
Tabitha Hyelampa
Tabitha Pogu
Tabitha Silas
Talata Daniel
Yana Bukar
Yana Joshua
Yana Pogu
Yana Yidau
Yanke Shittima
Yayi Abana
Zara lshaku

I know practically nothing about Nigeria. I've lived in Europe and North America--that's all. Never even set foot in Africa. Probably met maybe ten people from Africa in my entire life. My history classes hardly covered African history at all. How much does what I know, the assumptions I make, even apply to this?

This is a real question, not a rhetorical one: What can a bunch of mostly-American people do about something in Nigeria? Because, personally, I'm stumped, frustrated, and feeling very helpless.

I've never even heard of a large-scale kidnapping like this taking place. People get taken in ones and twos. Or people get taken hostage because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and someone wanted hostages. Or there's a massacre and people in one place are killed. But a large-scale kidnapping... That'd be crazy scary even if they were adults. But they're children, and that's even worse.

Nigeria is a country that is very rich for the top 1% and extremely poor for the rest. There is little middle class compared to what we know. Corruption therefore is endemic. Theft is high and do to their barbaric capital punishment laws murder is too, to stop people being witnesses to theft. For example to steal a car they shoot you right through the door. I lived there for a while.

There is (as in most places with a corrupt government no matter who it is) different groups that fight. All that said, i loved it when i lived there, the people were wonderful. I had the privilege of being wealthy in comparison though. Heck someone making 10k a year would be wealthy in comparison.

What can we do? There are close to 300 young girls missing, i want to see pressure put on the US, the British and the French to step in with NIgerias permission even if that means boots on the ground to find these girls. Just as you can't kidnap a large amount without lots of helpers you can't free them without lots of helpers and the Nigerian government forces simply don't have the training needed. Someone needs to work with them.

Could they do the equivalent of what happens when one police precinct needs help with a major search--call in people from others? This is such a huge case. So many victims. What if Nigeria got help from other countries' police forces?

I think police--not military--because police know more about investigation, and tracking people, and handling kidnappings. And police who share the same language would be important, to avoid having to talk to witnesses through interpreters and lose information on the way...

Maybe the US could help fund the search? We have money to spare over here. We could pay the salaries for the extra manpower. We've got lots of well-trained search dogs, if they need more of those. I'm sitting here, a college student living below the poverty line, and I have enough food, and a week's worth of clothing, and I can even feed pets and connect to the Internet! If I'm considered poor here, then we must be doing pretty well. Surely we can help. Take some money from the budget for buying bullets and bombs, and help bring these kidnappers to justice.

USA gives over $625 million dollars a year to Nigeria per attached info for 2012. I don't think that the President of Nigeria is doing what he should be doing to get these girls back. Government is so corrupt there. What happens after US and other countries come in and hopefully find the missing girls? What can be done to assure this doesn't happen immediately after they are given back to their families? The President of Nigeria isn't about to rile up the Islamic Extremists against him. He has already proven that he can't stop this kind of action. Maybe if his money is cut off he will feel the need to protect the girls. Don't know the answers to this but hopefully someone is working on Plan B to handle what happens if hopefully the girls are returned to their families.:banghead:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/30/us-foreign-aid-by-country_n_1837824.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back