Kristin Hopkins (CO) found alive in car crash after 5 days

I saw that on CNN last night. What a strong, determined woman. I came here and looked to see if there was a missing thread for her. Thx for making one. I hope she pulls through.

Amazing. Just goes to show there is always hope when a loved one goes missing.

It's horrible that her feet have had to be amputated, but I think it's a small price to pay for being alive through such an ordeal. I pray she has a strong support network around her to help her through her recovery.

Thinking of Kristin and her loved ones.

WOW!!!

She has four children. I'm thankful those people were concerned and curious enough to climb down that embankment.

Video interview here:

http://wwlp.com/2014/05/20/crash-survivor-speaks/

Kristin Hopkins’ car had gone off a 120 foot cliff in Park County, Colorado. She survived in the wreckage for nearly a week.

She was found Sunday, May 4. Her body temperature when she got to the hospital was just 77 degrees.

Going off the road is what she doesn’t remember. Waking up in the car upside down, she does.

“One thing I did, and I don’t know why, I tried to turn the car on. I don’t know where I was going to go. It was upside down,” Hopkins said.

This is just such a remarkable story - even moreso now that more details are coming out!

Bet this is really what kept her fighting - even if it wasn't a conscious thing she was using to "hold on"

The Highlands Ranch mom of four kept thinking about picking up her kids.

At the hospital, she has vague memories of hearing the nurses and her parents talking. In the days since, they have filled her in on many details. Her parents went to see the car and the location where she was found.

"My mom and dad went to see it and I was like, 'how many angels did I have?' And my mom said, 'you're here for a reason, figure it out!'" she said.

What spirit she's got - already kind of teasing her kids that they're not going to get away with anything just because of what she's been through!

Her children, Thor, Dane, Juno and Ekko are aged 9-16. They are relieved their mom is going to be OK.

"Mom's still going to be around. Mom is still going to text them, did you do your homework?" she said.

Hopkins saw the keys were in the ignition and tried to turn the car on.

"I don't know where I was going to go, but you know, tried to see what would happen," Hopkins said.

<snip>

At the time, Hopkins didn't know the battery was 30 feet away from the car.

Crazy that the battery was THAT far away! (and that given that it was, that the glass hadn't shattered in at least one window to perhaps help her get out.

Note to self: carry a Sharpie in my purse or car ;)

She said she found her purse and dug through it for a Sharpie.

Hopkins wrote messages on the umbrella.

"My little messages of 'Come get me,' you know?" Hopkins said. "I swear that was going to be my saving grace."

<snip>

Hopkins hoped that by sticking the umbrella out the window, somebody would see it.

The car that was upside down in the woods wasn't a big enough hint," Hopkins said.

"That someone needed to see the red and white umbrella."

Her presence of mind and resourcefulness was truly astounding! (As was her will to live!)

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...urvivor-kristin-hopkins-starts-rehabilitation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back