CANADA Canada - Sylvie Laverdière, 24, Ste-Thérèse, Que, 18 April 1989

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-police-reopen-1989-homicide-cold-case-1.1369322

bbm
"Quebec provincial police have reopened the unsolved homicide of Sylvie Laverdière, 24, whose mutilated body was found in her apartment in Ste-Thérèse in April, 1989.

Police set up a command post in the town, north of Laval, hoping that someone will come forward with new information.

Investigators say they are looking to speak to anyone who lived in the same neighbourhood as Laverdière in 1989, anyone who knew Laverdière and anyone who might have noticed something out of the ordinary around the time the woman was killed.

Sûreté du Québec Sgt. Benoît Richard said many people were questioned at the time of Laverdière's death, but no one was arrested.
Modern tests yield new clues

Some items that didn't belong to the woman were found in her apartment.

"We have some new ways to look at those things that were seized," said Richard. "We're trying to get people to come and talk to us, to see if we can link those things with somebody."

http://www.crimesnonresolus.com/en/cold-cases/sylvie_laverdiere.html

"Sylvie Laverdière

On April 18, 1989, Sylvie Laverdière was found dead in her apartment in Sainte-Thérèse. She was partially nude and the crime scene showed that she had been strangled. Her body had also been mutilated.

The victim's purse was found 2.5 km from her residence, along chemin Sainte-Thérèse, not far from Autoroute 640.

At the time of her death, Ms. Laverdière was 24 years old. She was the manager at Centre de conditionnement Mathers (Nautilus), in Rosemere. She worked mainly during the evenings and usually left the centre around 11 p.m. for her apartment, where she lived alone. The witnesses met with in the course of the investigation described the victim as a candid, forthright and talkative person. She had no known enemies.

If you have any information that could help solve this crime, contact the Centrale de l’information criminelle of the Sûreté du Québec at 1 800 659-4264."

http://www.nordinfo.com/Actualites/2013-06-05/article-3270295/Meurtre-de-Sylvie-Laverdiere%3A-la-police-recueille-de-nouvelles-informations/1

Translated portions with Google Translate:

BBM

The young woman, partially undressed, showed signs of mutilation and had obviously been strangled. As reported in our pages, then, no sign of forced entry had been found by the police.

Recall that the victim worked as a manager at Nautilus fitness center, Rosemere, mainly at night, and she usually left the scene at about 23 pm. It is described as a direct and frank talkative person, just as we knew it no enemy.

Not the best translation...

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/faitsdivers/archives/2013/06/20130604-101727.html

Google Translated:

The young woman of 24 years was manager of a Nautilus in Rosemere. When she did not show up to work in the afternoon on April 18 , his colleagues sounded the alarm.

Sylvie Laverdière was sexually assaulted and possibly strangled by Benoît Richard , spokesman for the SQ. "This is a horrible crime , his body was mutilated ," said the police interview with Claude Poirier.

She was killed between 10:00 - time that she contacted a relative in the morning - 13 hours . His wallet was found shortly after a few miles from her home along Highway 640.

I wonder if any of the gym patrons had shown an interest in Sylvie, or made advances. She was a young, attractive woman and likely would have come into contact with lots of men at the fitness centre.

I think one of the articles I translated and read was saying she was single, but the translation was unclear so I'm not sure. It would be interesting to know if she was dating anyone, or had any ex-boyfriends, etc.

Why do we not get anything about her personal life? It makes me wonder if they are trying to cover something they feel is embarrassing.

Anyway, did she have a boyfriend?

Not much doubt that the assault was the motive for the crime. The theft was almost certainly either an afterthought or an attempt to waste police time.

As far as personal info/details go, the most I can gather from the available articles is:

- Sylvie was 24 years old
- she lived in the area of Blainville Street
- she lived alone
- she was a manager at the Rosemere Nautilus Gym
- witnesses described the victim as a candid, forthright and talkative person
- had no known enemies

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/faitsdivers/archives/2013/06/20130604-101727.html

Google Translated:

Sylvie Laverdière did not love when she was killed and she would never feel unsafe . "She never mentioned that she was followed or had been threats " reported Janine Couturier.

BBM: I'm thinking this refers to whether or not she was in a relationship/had a boyfriend.

At the time of the murder relatives were interviewed and LE canvassed door-to-door.

Thanks for the link translation. Wondering if the word "mutilated" was meant in the way we would usually understand it, if so, one is reminded of some other unsolved crimes..

I immediately thought of AG too :(

QMI-qmi-1306041553001-original.jpg

Murder of Sylvie Laverdière, strangled and stabbed, 18 April 1989, at 233 rue Blainville Sainte-Thérèse. In the photo, the home where the victim lived.
JACQUES BUMBLEBEE / ARCHIVES / LE JOURNAL DE MONTREAL

QMI-qmi-1306041553002-original.jpg

Meurtre de Sylvie Laverdière, étranglée et poignardée, le 18 avril 1989, au 233, rue Blainville à Sainte-Thérèse. Sur la photo, le bureau du gérant, qu'occupait encore Sylvie Laverdière quelques heures avant sa mort.
JACQUES BOURDON / LES ARCHIVES / LE JOURNAL DE MONTREAL

ETA: Murder of Sylvie Laverdière, strangled and stabbed, 18 April 1989, at 233 rue Blainville Sainte-Thérèse. In the photo, the manager's office, still occupied Sylvie Laverdière few hours before his death.
JACQUES BUMBLEBEE / ARCHIVES / LE JOURNAL DE MONTREAL

What could have happened?
If Sylvie did not have a regular boyfriend and had not expressed any fears about anyone, Why did someone "she might know" suddenly turn so vicious?

Since Sylvie was strangled with the telephone cord, as opposed to the perp bringing his own "tools" so to speak, wonder if that means the murder was not premeditated?
Was SL about to phone LE and she was stopped, or did the phone cord represent something else, like 'punishment' for talking?

What could have happened?
If Sylvie did not have a regular boyfriend and had not expressed any fears about anyone, Why did someone "she might know" suddenly turn so vicious?

Perhaps a friend that wanted more, and Sylvie wasn't interested. Rage due to rejection. Someone she worked with at the fitness centre, a school mate, friend of a friend. Maybe someone who knew her/of her, but didn;t know her well/intimately.

It strikes me that at 24 years old she already had a job as a manager, with an office. I wonder if she attended college/university and if so, what she studied? I imagine some type of athletic therapy, kinesiology, sports management, fitness/health, or maybe just business admin or something. I also wonder if she was health/sports-minded herself, was involved in any athletic groups, etc.

She could also just have "fallen into" the field/job.

So little info is available about her life, habits, friends/family, activities etc.

I could also see the perpetrator being an acquaintance in the apartment complex but I would think they were all looked at thoroughly, depending on how large the complex was.

Since she lived in a basement apartment with windows at ground level, I can see a strong potential for peeping which might have driven some pervert over the edge.

RSBM
Since Sylvie was strangled with the telephone cord, as opposed to the perp bringing his own "tools" so to speak, wonder if that means the murder was not premeditated?
Was SL about to phone LE and she was stopped, or did the phone cord represent something else, like 'punishment' for talking?

Good point/observations.

I also read that Sylvie was stabbed. I wonder if this is part of the "mutilation" aspect and if the perp brought a knife or other cutting weapon, or used something from the victim's home.

One of the articles states that Sylvie was last heard from around 10am "time that she contacted a relative in the morning". Maybe she had been on the phone just prior to the attack.

It's thought that she was killed between 10am and 1pm on April 18, 1989.

I could also see the perpetrator being an acquaintance in the apartment complex but I would think they were all looked at thoroughly, depending on how large the complex was.

Since she lived in a basement apartment with windows at ground level, I can see a strong potential for peeping which might have driven some pervert over the edge.

These were my thoughts too. I wonder if there were any unemployed residents, or shift workers in the complex who would have been around between 10am and 1pm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back