Verified Insider
Reaction score
MW5FzXe.jpg
tK3Ggd1.jpg

Shirley and Russell Dermond

Missing wife of decapitated Georgia man found dead in lake
By Chelsea J. Carter and AnneClaire Stapleton, CNN
updated 10:54 PM EDT, Fri May 16, 2014

Shirley Dermond's body was found in Lake Oconee, south of Athens, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told reporters Friday.

"We now, unfortunately, know that Shirley Dermond was murdered," Sills said. Sills declined to discuss the condition of the body other than to say, "the head was not removed or anything like that.

"We haven't even had a funeral for Russell because their kids wanted to wait. Now that we know about Shirley, we will start planning the funeral services for both.
GA GA - Shirley Dermond, 87, Putnam County **Media Links***NO DISCUSSION*** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thread #1 Thread #2

REMINDER

• We do not sleuth individuals who have not been named by law enforcement as suspects or persons of interest.
  • We do not link to social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter) of persons who have not been indicated as suspects/POI's by LE.
  • We do not link to a social media page unless we are 100% certain it belongs to the suspect/victim.
  • We never post the name of a private individual who has not been named in the media. Even then, unless s/he's a major player, initials should be used in place of full names.
  • With the exception of a victim, we never post the full name of a minor.
  • Linking to social media pages (Facebook, Twitter) is allowed for these four categories: Victims, Suspects, MSM and LE.
  • FACTS must be accompanied by a link to an appropriate source, i.e., MSM, LE. Blogs are not MSM.
  • If you can't link it, you can't post it.
  • RUMORS are not allowed to be posted.
  • Any exceptions to the rule MUST be mod-approved.
  • If you don't think you should post it, then DON'T.

Questions about the rules or moderator decisions should be addressed to a mod in a pm.

If you see a post that violates TOS, please do not quote it. Alert the post ASAP so a mod can handle the problem.

You seriously spelled it wrong? LOL, I didnt' catch it, sometimes our hands type and brains dont' think when we do know better haha

I was just thinking inconspicuous, smaller, quiet boat, but of course if they were friends or atleast aquantences, no one would have thought anything of someone skirting up to the dock in a ritzy area with a nice boat, but yeah no canoe out of the question, maybe a kayak, lol, pontoon maybe not either, too open

but at night covered, possibly no one would notice

anyway, I guess I"ve not seen anyone say they've seen a boat over there that weekend
Of course if may be hush hush, dont want the perps to know someone saw them, give THEM A FALSE SENSE of security

I seriously spelled jon boat wrong?
I was thinking he really couldn't drape a body over the bench seats in a jon boat. Sure he didn't plan on anyone seeing him but. Same idea about a canoe. He really had to have a decent sized boat. In would think he would place her in the middle of the boat on the floor so that she couldn't be seen from another boat passing beside him.
Also you couldn't dump a body from a jon boat by yourself without possibly going over board yourself.
I guess he could have had help but imo he acted alone.

I could see him selling a nice boat in the event someone tied it to him that night.

I hope LE is checking Craig's Lists and the like.
moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Shirley and Russell seemed the type that would help out a stranger in need. Did they befriend someone at church, etc that the Dermond's didn't perceive as evil inviting him to their house?

You seriously spelled it wrong? LOL, I didnt' catch it, sometimes our hands type and brains dont' think when we do know better haha

I was just thinking inconspicuous, smaller, quiet boat, but of course if they were friends or atleast aquantences, no one would have thought anything of someone skirting up to the dock in a ritzy area with a nice boat, but yeah no canoe out of the question, maybe a kayak, lol, pontoon maybe not either, too open

but at night covered, possibly no one would notice

anyway, I guess I"ve not seen anyone say they've seen a boat over there that weekend
Of course if may be hush hush, dont want the perps to know someone saw them, give THEM A FALSE SENSE of security

I seriously spelled jon boat wrong?
I was thinking he really couldn't drape a body over the bench seats in a jon boat. Sure he didn't plan on anyone seeing him but. Same idea about a canoe. He really had to have a decent sized boat. In would think he would place her in the middle of the boat on the floor so that she couldn't be seen from another boat passing beside him.
Also you couldn't dump a body from a jon boat by yourself without possibly going over board yourself.
I guess he could have had help but imo he acted alone.

I could see him selling a nice boat in the event someone tied it to him that night.

I hope LE is checking Craig's Lists and the like.
moo

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I had no idea what a Jon boat was. Just always called them a row boat. I guess you can put a trolling motor on one, but certainly not a big motor? jmo

I had no idea what a Jon boat was. Just always called them a row boat. I guess you can put a trolling motor on one, but certainly not a big motor? jmo

We had a 12 or 14 ft Jon boat at our lakehouse. I bought a small electric motor I used on it. Loved that boat!

Back in the last thread, when you folks were discussing how/if the perp/s could transport the body in a smallish boat, I had the horrible thought that, especially since it seems that Shirley may already have been deceased, they need not have put her IN the boat ... they could have towed her.

Back in the last thread, when you folks were discussing how/if the perp/s could transport the body in a smallish boat, I had the horrible thought that, especially since it seems that Shirley may already have been deceased, they need not have put her IN the boat ... they could have towed her.

You are correct. I just don't see the point of taking her body away. What difference would it make if they left it there with her husband. This whole thing is crazy stupid. jmo

Anybody know what type of vehicles the Dermonds owned?

Just trying to think of scenarios -- because I am really stumped, basically -- and wondering if maybe someone got into the garage and was trying to steal a vehicle? The Dermonds could have discovered the would-be thief; maybe Mr. D. was staying there "guarding" the thief somehow, while Shirley went inside to call security or 911. Thief panicked, killed Mr. D., then went after Shirley.

Of course this does NOT explain the truly baffling aspects of this case -- the beheading, leaving one (though headless) body and taking another away. And how would my "thief" get a boat ...? Arrghhh. Sorry.:banghead:

ETA: Well ... thinking further ... I guess he, if local, could have stashed Shirley, hidden, near the water, then procured a boat somehow elsewhere and come back and picked up her body...

back in the last thread, when you folks were discussing how/if the perp/s could transport the body in a smallish boat, i had the horrible thought that, especially since it seems that shirley may already have been deceased, they need not have put her in the boat ... They could have towed her.

oh gosh !

yes, same thing, but you can put a decent sized motor on it, probably not 150HP but 60??? but fishermen use trolling motors in addition and just shut off and lift (tip) the engeine up and use trolling motor (very small) for slow movement in and around the docks/coves, and probably in the area where SD was found, was originally thinking of quiet cove with no noise for lurking, it's a wisper

but....apparently they werent' doing too much LURKING, if they knew them probably

Jon boats in GA are heavy aluminum, flat bottomed- you do not row it if you can possibly help it. I think our jon boats have about a 35 hp on each. eta- tom is right - a trolling motor fits- and are quiet;

The boys ( read that as everyone but me, the only female in the house) take those out for fishing. ( I like railings!) One has 3 bench seats, one has only 2- with a large flat area in the middle, where one could place a person.

We have a 18 ft Sunbird deep V outboard side console that seats 6. If the middle seats were removed, a person would easily fit on the floor of it. Many boats have a live well or storage in front- with a large "floor" door. Now that I think about it- the floor area under the seats is open- so no need to remove them.

As mck16 stated upthread, it's crazy where Mr & Mrs ended up- it certainly sends a statement- I hope LE knows what that statement is.

Anybody know what type of vehicles the Dermonds owned?

Just trying to think of scenarios -- because I am really stumped, basically -- and wondering if maybe someone got into the garage and was trying to steal a vehicle? The Dermonds could have discovered the would-be thief; maybe Mr. D. was staying there "guarding" the thief somehow, while Shirley went inside to call security or 911. Thief panicked, killed Mr. D., then went after Shirley.

Of course this does NOT explain the truly baffling aspects of this case -- the beheading, leaving one (though headless) body and taking another away. And how would my "thief" get a boat ...? Arrghhh. Sorry.:banghead:

ETA: Well ... thinking further ... I guess he, if local, could have stashed Shirley, hidden, near the water, then procured a boat somehow elsewhere and come back and picked up her body...

and that may be messy, unlike if they knew them, they could lure and no one would suspect a thing I s'pose

The more we rule out things, there won't be much left to rule IN

the beheading keeps coming back in to the picture no matter WHAT scenario we play out, that is the key factor IMO

We had a 12 or 14 ft Jon boat at our lakehouse. I bought a small electric motor I used on it. Loved that boat!

DID YOU!? WE've rented them in FL but not very comfortable ! haha thought of investing in one though several times

Nothing like cruising "on the pOntooon,..........

but sadly for now, the lake is losing some of it's appeal

and that may be messy, unlike if they knew them, they could lure and no one would suspect a thing I s'pose

The more we rule out things, there won't be much left to rule IN

the beheading keeps coming back in to the picture no matter WHAT scenario we play out, that is the key factor IMO

All good points.

But even in my "car thief" scenario -- it could have been someone they knew. Maybe someone they had do odd jobs, someone they let fish from their dock, someone they normally trusted -- but then maybe one day they CAUGHT him up to no good, sneaking in, taking something, etc. (Wouldn't have to be a vehicle, that's just one possibility.) Maybe they confronted the person and one went to call for help, but they never suspected that the result would be the person nutting up and killing both of them...?

But again -- the beheading. Why...?

Do we know if the Dermond's had a boat? I am wondering if they weren't sitting out on the boat dock, or a screened in back porch- enjoying the view/weather.

Boat docks have water run to them, to rinse the motor. A boat and dock are also easy to hose down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3