Basic user help

D Jay

Reaction score
Is there a basic user guide on how to post? How do you include quotes from other posts? How to add links, photos, etc?

There is some basic information at this link. You started your own thread...that is already a step in the right direction! :)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_vb3_board_usage

If you want to quote someone to respond to them directly, hit the quote button and the box will pop up with the other person's message there. Put your cursor either before or after the quote and you can type what you'd like.

I hope that helps!

If you want to quote a post from one user, simply click on the "Quote" bubble on their post and it will kick you to a new screen with that poster's post in quotes. Then you can reply with your own response underneath the quote.

If you want to quote multiple posts (like you want to answer many posters' related questions in one single post), by starting in the order you want them quoted, click on the "+ bubble for each post you want quoted and on the last post click the "quote" bubble. That will then kick you to a new screen with all of the quotes in the order you wanted and you can reply accordingly.

When you are posting a news article that has a link, it's often nice to add quotes from that article so that everyone can follow along (but remember to keep it to 10% of the article). You can do that by clicking on the button farthest to the right on the post's tool bar (it looks like a speech bubble). Then just cut and paste the text between the
's. That will then give you…

test test test

If you want to reference a particular post but it's in a different thread, you can click on the post's number (located in the upper right corner of the post's box, #3 for mine), copy that url when the new window opens, then paste it into your post. That will then provide a link for others to reference what you are talking about.

Hope that helps. Happy posting!!

I'm having problems with the new format. It's not easy to use for me. How do I get rid of the "activity stream" that now automatically pops up when I log in? I'd prefer to open to the forums, not the activity stream, which is just a bunch of noise to me!!!
And less important, why am I seeing ads now?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back