NC - Man assaults girl, hides in closet for days until mom finds him

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://fox6now.com/2014/05/20/what-man-assaults-girl-hides-in-closet-for-days-until-mom-finds-him/

A North Carolina man is accused of hiding out in a 14-year-old girl’s closet for days as he sexually assaulted her. Deputies say the girl told them they met online, but that he assaulted her once they got to her house...

The teenager’s mother said she found the man inside her daughter’s bedroom. He had been living in her closet for five days. Sheriff’s deputies charged 27-year-old Jarred Workman with 11 counts statutory rape and five counts of statutory sex offense.

“Just the fact that he would be that brazen. To come up here to meet a girl online and then to try to stay in her residence not knowing what her parents are or what they are about.”

This jaded old person thinks "that poor girl" was probably helping to hide him. She had plenty of time to get out and tell someone he was there. Don't buy her victim story at all. Other than the dude might have really lied about his age to her too.

I think 'Mom' thinks she's 'that poor girl' - but I agree, sounds like the daughter may have welcomed him to live in her closet. Nevertheless, because she is only 14, the statutory rape charges are appropriate, IMO.

Mom's statement that 'the internet ruined that poor girl' is unbelievable to me - lack of parental control and monitoring is the issue. The mother was so distanced from the daughter's online activities that she apparently was not aware that the girl was carrying on an online relationship or that she arranged to meet up with a stranger. And then, Mom was so out of touch in 'real life' that a stranger was able to not only enter her house, but live there for 5 days without being detected?

I suspect there must be more to this story. Was Mom absent from home for those 5 days?

This jaded old person thinks "that poor girl" was probably helping to hide him. She had plenty of time to get out and tell someone he was there. Don't buy her victim story at all. Other than the dude might have really lied about his age to her too.

She is a victim. She can't legally consent to a sexual relationship with a legal ADULT. We have no idea what was going on in her life, but obviously she needed help. Not only did she turn to the internet, to find relationship with men, she knowingly allowed him to hide in her home. There is a lot going on here, that proves she is in a really bad place...and in no sound mind to consent to any relationship...even if it were legal.

ETA: Read your comment wrong the first time, sorry.

I worked for a very large ISP and my kids IMs were logged and monitored. Even in to high school. And I have sons. I controlled the router and when needed, I blocked their IPs. Sorry but I learned early in my online career, you don't go to the Internet, it comes to you. People have a very false sense of security and secrecy.

At one point my job had to do with child exploits and let me tell you there are some sick puppies out there. No one in a fireman chat room is a fireman. No one in the Christian chat room care about your spirituality. Most people who say they 17 year old boys are 45 year old fat a$$es, lurking for our daughters.

Wasn't there a guy peripherally connected to the Ramsey case who did this, as well?

I don't think it's fair to launch into mum-bashing just yet. - the mom might not be the worst mother ever, just one whose child did a stupid thing and then let a seasoned predator into their home. It's horrifying, and while I seriously, seriously, doubt I'd have missed FIVE days of him being there, crap happens to the best of us.

And while we're here - the child doesn't have to have anything wrong with her either. All that predator needed to do was manipulate this young girl into caring about him. That's all it would take. Even good girls from perfect homes do the dumbest things.

The one person who clearly deserves to be eyeballed is this man.I hope he's on the sex offender registry for life (since life in prison is not likely, unfortunately).

Sorry, I just have to add -- I don't mean to make it sound like I approve of careless parenting, predators learn to look for kids who are vulnerable and can target them very quickly. It truly is terrifying!

Just, they might also be a perfectly nice, happy family who ran into a particularly manipulative and aggressive pedophile. We don't know. And they are the victims here.

And while we're here - the child doesn't have to have anything wrong with her either. All that predator needed to do was manipulate this young girl into caring about him. That's all it would take. Even good girls from perfect homes do the dumbest things.

That from Ausgirls' post pretty much sums it up for me. We don't know what her home life is like. But the guy most likely talked a good game , she let him in and hid him.
Yes, he's a predator,yes it should be rape, but I'd bet dollars to donuts she let him in and hid him and is now telling mom he forced her.and this is a perfect example of a young teen not being mature enough to make decisions about sex and men and why the men should face rape charges even if the girl says yes.

That from Ausgirls' post pretty much sums it up for me. We don't know what her home life is like. But the guy most likely talked a good game , she let him in and hid him.
Yes, he's a predator,yes it should be rape, but I'd bet dollars to donuts she let him in and hid him and is now telling mom he forced her.and this is a perfect example of a young teen not being mature enough to make decisions about sex and men and why the men should face rape charges even if the girl says yes.

Even good girls from perfect homes have issues that cause them to seek affection, validation, and acceptance from older men on the internet.

I don't think a 14 year old girl that is not lacking something serious in her life, would desperately hide a man from the internet in her closet. Meet him, even a physical relationship...but this is more extreme than just a teenager being dumb.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/20/teen-sex-closet/9326053/

The suspect met the 14-year-old girl online, investigators said. They chatted using social media for about a month and then agreed to meet in the woods near the teen's home in the Love Valley, N.C., area, about 60 miles north of Charlotte and 100 miles east of Asheville. He then sneaked into the girl's bedroom without her family's knowledge.

"During the day, he was either in her closet or in her bedroom, and when she would come home from school or on the weekend or whatever, he would come out in evenings," said Lt. Bill Hamby, a detective with the Iredell County Sheriff's Office here. The family is not being identified because of the nature of the charges.

I think 'Mom' thinks she's 'that poor girl' - but I agree, sounds like the daughter may have welcomed him to live in her closet. Nevertheless, because she is only 14, the statutory rape charges are appropriate, IMO.

Mom's statement that 'the internet ruined that poor girl' is unbelievable to me - lack of parental control and monitoring is the issue. The mother was so distanced from the daughter's online activities that she apparently was not aware that the girl was carrying on an online relationship or that she arranged to meet up with a stranger. And then, Mom was so out of touch in 'real life' that a stranger was able to not only enter her house, but live there for 5 days without being detected?

I suspect there must be more to this story. Was Mom absent from home for those 5 days?

This comment BBm really bothers me. It would make sense if it was a total stranger making the statement but coming from the young lady's own mother it seems so . . . detached??

The internet did not ruin your child. you were in charge of the internet and your child's use of it. FIVE days? Grown arse man living in teen daughter's closet and no one knew for FIVE days??

Obviously the teen was a willing participant and wasn't being held hostage.

That is not to say it is not rape because it absolutely is, there could be no legal consent and this man full well knew it but the mom seems to view this as some nameless faceless internet's fault. Mom, you control the web access. You control your child's rules.

I am not trying to bash mom but I find her speaking of her daughter as if she is some random anonymous child weird and deflecting.

Ultimately the person to blame is the grown man who knew better and yet decided it was worth it. I hope he enjoys the price he will pay for his disgusting decision.

But if mom only takes from this that the internet and some grown man took advantage of her child, she makes a grave mistake IMO. Time to take stock of the rules and the level of monitoring the adults are giving this teen girl. Methinks perhaps some changes need to occur.

This comment BBm really bothers me. It would make sense if it was a total stranger making the statement but coming from the young lady's own mother it seems so . . . detached??

The internet did not ruin your child. you were in charge of the internet and your child's use of it. FIVE days? Grown arse man living in teen daughter's closet and no one knew for FIVE days??

Obviously the teen was a willing participant and wasn't being held hostage.

That is not to say it is not rape because it absolutely is, there could be no legal consent and this man full well knew it but the mom seems to view this as some nameless faceless internet's fault. Mom, you control the web access. You control your child's rules.

I am not trying to bash mom but I find her speaking of her daughter as if she is some random anonymous child weird and deflecting.

Ultimately the person to blame is the grown man who knew better and yet decided it was worth it. I hope he enjoys the price he will pay for his disgusting decision.

But if mom only takes from this that the internet and some grown man took advantage of her child, she makes a grave mistake IMO. Time to take stock of the rules and the level of monitoring the adults are giving this teen girl. Methinks perhaps some changes need to occur.

:goodpost:

bbm

The mother's reaction seems to be distancing herself from any accountability, as though what happened in her home was entirely out of her control. Yes - her daughter was sneaking around behind her back, and this man took complete advantage of this young girl. But also, a situation must have existed in their home that created the opportunity for this youngster to have the online time and freedom to carry on conversations with this man for a month, to sneak out to meet him in the woods, to sneak him into the house without anyone noticing, and to keep him there for so long.

Of course, this predator is the guilty party here - but this situation also highlights the need for parents to be constantly vigilant and involved in their teens' lives. I don't believe a 14 year old should have the amount of privacy and independence that would let her carry on an online relationship for a month without detection, let alone to hide somebody in her room/closet for five days.

All JMO

From the article linked above:

"The suspect met the 14-year-old girl online, investigators said. They chatted using social media for about a month and then agreed to meet in the woods near the teen's home in the Love Valley"

^ That made my blood run cold. It really did. Thank goodness this young lady is still alive!

I wonder what this guy told her, that convinced her let him stay in her closet. I have a 15yo who has earned the right to my trust and some privacy, and can talk to whom she wants on the internet. But she has these freedoms because I have worked hard to raise a child who knows what's what in the world and can make good choices for herself. And she does.

The more I look at this, the more I tend to wonder who taught this girl what. In the WOODS. Oh - my- god.

I shouldn't laugh about this, but I can't help it. People are crazy.

From the article linked above:

"The suspect met the 14-year-old girl online, investigators said. They chatted using social media for about a month and then agreed to meet in the woods near the teen's home in the Love Valley"

^ That made my blood run cold. It really did. Thank goodness this young lady is still alive!

I wonder what this guy told her, that convinced her let him stay in her closet. I have a 15yo who has earned the right to my trust and some privacy, and can talk to whom she wants on the internet. But she has these freedoms because I have worked hard to raise a child who knows what's what in the world and can make good choices for herself. And she does.

The more I look at this, the more I tend to wonder who taught this girl what. In the WOODS. Oh - my- god.

Right?!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back