Rare white buffalo born

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
The white calf, regarded as a sacred symbol by Lakota Sioux and other Plains Indian tribes, is a granddaughter of the ranch's former big star, award-winning bull Chief Joseph, a hefty 3,000-pound sire that had cost the Allens $101,000. The bull was struck by lightning on Sept. 11, 2001, and died two weeks later.

So the Allens, who own the Buffalo Crossing Restaurant & Family Fun Ranch, were delighted by the calf's birth.

"It's just unbelievable," Bob Allen said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050607/NEWS01/506070407/1008/NEWS01

This is just AWESOME! How wonderful!
I have seen one white buffalo, and my 7 years of good luck are almost up. I need to go back. One lives right outside of Crested Butte, Co. And it is one of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen. It is an albino. I would highly suggest trying to see one of these beautiful creatures...

Thanks mystery!

I thought buffalo were protected against eating?
If you read the article further, they raise buffalo for eating??!!

anyone help me out on this one?

sharon25 said:
I thought buffalo were protected against eating?
If you read the article further, they raise buffalo for eating??!!

anyone help me out on this one?

Hi sharon,
Buffalo are raised for eating. You might be thinking of Bison that are making a recovery, and "previously" endangered. There is a lot of controversey around their "extinction". The gene pool was fatally courrupted by interbreeding with Cattle. The buffallo that are raised to eat, are not the genetically pure Bison that once roamed the plains. They were thanked by the Native Americans and then Slaughtered. Brucellos free bison are not easy to come by. There is a herd in Yellowstone they are now trying to protect.
IMHO, it is more environmentally friendly to eat a bufallo burger than a hamburger...

Bhodirasta said:
Hi sharon,
IMHO, it is more environmentally friendly to eat a bufallo burger than a hamburger...
What a beautiful calf.. I want a better pic!!
I don't eat beef much anymore, health reasons (I had a big cheeseburger induced heart attack in March), and I'm not crazy about how they are breed/kept/proccessed etc.
I eat a lot of brown rice, veggies, and fish now. (yeah I know..YUM)
But I do eat Buffalo meat from a local farm here, it's got far less fat and I know how these particular animals are fed and cared for. It works for me.

Sudzi said:
What a beautiful calf.. I want a better pic!!
I don't eat beef much anymore, health reasons (I had a big cheeseburger induced heart attack in March), and I'm not crazy about how they are breed/kept/proccessed etc.
I eat a lot of brown rice, veggies, and fish now. (yeah I know..YUM)
But I do eat Buffalo meat from a local farm here, it's got far less fat and I know how these particular animals are fed and cared for. It works for me.
Hi Sudzi!
I tried to PM you a while back, your inbox was full. I wanna come to VT! I might take you up on your ticket offer! Yah, back when I first cut beef from my diet, I ate a lot of buffalo. In fact, my old boyfriend, who was a jewel, had a family that raised them. George died of old age (but not before Little Elizabeth was born) and George last FOR EVER. They marinated their buffalo burgers in italian dressing. You should try it! Yummmmm!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back