Utah high school yearbook Photo-shopped pictures to show less skin

noZme

Reaction score
If the clothing was acceptable for classes on the day pictures were made, why "add" sleeves & such for the yearbook?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/school...f9BH/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

Wasatch High School retouched students' photos without their permission. It wasn't until they received their much-anticipated yearbooks that they noticed it appeared they were wearing a different, more conservative outfits. Some students say the decision to alter some photos was not consistent.

From what I read elsewhere, it was known in advance this would be done, but maybe they did not contact each person individually to tell them they were "chosen". Jmo

If the clothing was acceptable for classes on the day pictures were made, why "add" sleeves & such for the yearbook?

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/school...f9BH/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

Wasatch High School retouched students' photos without their permission. It wasn't until they received their much-anticipated yearbooks that they noticed it appeared they were wearing a different, more conservative outfits. Some students say the decision to alter some photos was not consistent.

That's what I don't get. A) Why weren't they cited by their teachers that day for violation of the dress code and B) Why couldn't they have someone stand there as they lined up for photos and tell the students who didn't adhere to it, that their photo would be edited or they could change?

I really don't have a problem with dress codes. I like them. But it seems this wasn't clear. Didn't the parents know tank tops and bra straps that show aren't allowed?

I don't mind the idea of this, but I do think the students should have been notified and required to do a retake rather than just editing. I know my son's school has "retake" days.

The one girl's shirt is super low cut, another shows what looks to be a bra strap. I like that the school wanted to be more modest, JMO. I know people have a right to wear what they want, but sometimes I get tired of looking at it. It's my own problem, but just saying, I like the school being modest.

But I don't think the "t-shirt under a tank top" look is in. Fashion means a lot to a lot of girls, it's not really fair that they are now permanently "redressed" in a style that isn't theirs. Which is why they should have been required to retake if modesty was an issue.

I don't have a problem with what they did. Seems the kids knew if they broke the dress code this would happen.

However, from what I saw, this was not consistent. That is the problem.

BOE Superintendent said there was a sign about editing when the photos were made. OK, maybe so, but why was clothing not acceptable for the yearbook allowed in the classrooms? Is the dress code only enforced on picture day?

There is no explanation for lack of consistency. On the video you can see 2 different students wearing identical tops, one had sleeves photo-shopped in, the other was published sleeveless. Why?

There are many, much more serious, stories in the news, but I think the unhappy, re-dressed students are due an apology & a refund for their yearbooks.

I saw nothing wrong with the before pictures. I don't like the editing. imo

I couldn't believe they edited a sleeveless top. It was only showing arm. Even the strap tops covered everything and wasn't even low cut at all. This is really going too far, unless the dress code says no spaghetti straps or upper arms showing. That would be really ridiculous though with all the tight skinny jeans showing every curve today. Women really shouldn't put up with this treatment.

If they had this policy for my high school yearbook, most girls would be photoshopped! Only a minority are "modestly dressed." Many are wearing spaghetti straps or tube tops, especially ones with plunging necklines. This action makes no sense to me.

My high school freshman yearbook picture = wearing a t-shirt that said "Do not disturb. I'm disturbed enough already"

Sophomore year = neon green, fluffy, dangling earrings to match my neon green t-shirt

Junior year had to have been more normal because I can't remember what I wore, and senior year we did the black wrap thing, but I did wear a hideous shade of pink lip gloss.

Moral of the story: kids wear stupid stuff on yearbook day, and the original photos should be left alone so that every child can have the wonderful experience I have whenever I go home (my mom has one of those school bus frames that display all my school pictures from k-12), which is to cringe and whine to my mother about why she ever let me out of the house in those outfits.

I guess I don't like the photo-shop idea, as it doesn't teach the kids that they have to follow instructions. At my DS's high school, the dress code is on the web, as well as sent home. If you do not adhere to the rules you go home and change, take your picture on make-up day, or you're not in the year book at all. Why should someone make the decision as to how photo shop your child's picture?

Eh, but that's just me :) MOO

Mel

Really, when did shoulders and arms become "immodest"? Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My high school freshman yearbook picture = wearing a t-shirt that said "Do not disturb. I'm disturbed enough already"

Sophomore year = neon green, fluffy, dangling earrings to match my neon green t-shirt

Junior year had to have been more normal because I can't remember what I wore, and senior year we did the black wrap thing, but I did wear a hideous shade of pink lip gloss.

Moral of the story: kids wear stupid stuff on yearbook day, and the original photos should be left alone so that every child can have the wonderful experience I have whenever I go home (my mom has one of those school bus frames that display all my school pictures from k-12), which is to cringe and whine to my mother about why she ever let me out of the house in those outfits.

^^^^^^^^This is funny....because it's universally TRUE!

I don't like the editing. Clearly explain the rules in writing ahead of time and the consequences if they don't conform. Then just follow the guidelines. Sheesh. If rules say no straps, then don't allow them to be photographed if they show up in straps. Easy.

some of our local coverage

an opinion piece: Don’t punish young women for being what they are
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/58003396-82/women-yearbook-rodger-sltrib.html.csp

Girls’ yearbook photos edited; boys bared skin, underwear, tattoos. Uneven enforcement of dress code by school officials drives debate about gender bias
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58007750-78/yearbook-dress-girls-code.html.csp

this photo appeared in the print edition article but was omitted in the online article above
http://tinyurl.com/mfaclgz

:notgood:

some mothers who accompanied their girls to the photo sessions have been quoted as saying that there were NO signs posted or verbal notice given re clothing being edited/altered

I seen the pictures and none of them screamed out "OMG!! Edit them!!" I've seen a lot worse! Heck, we used to have what they called group portrait day where we could take group photographs with our friends. You want to talk about WILD?? These pictures were taken in the gym with different backdrops. Best way I could describe it is if you've ever been on a cruise and you want to take photographs in front of different screens.

Girls were walking around in bikinis, boys shirtless and in swimming trunks, etc... You could bring your own props too. And that was tame compared to what some of the real jokesters came up with for their group photographs. It was a lot of fun!

I wonder if this school has a pajama day?

I used to work for a company who did school photography for schools on the area. (Worst job of my life, but never mind that.) Anyway, I could totally see them cooking up a "service" like this to sell to schools. And trust me, they weren't using skilled personnel to do those photo retouches. "Here's the blur tool in PhotoShop, just get rid of the zits."

Yeah, I'm a little bitter.

BOE Superintendent said there was a sign about editing when the photos were made. OK, maybe so, but why was clothing not acceptable for the yearbook allowed in the classrooms? Is the dress code only enforced on picture day?

There is no explanation for lack of consistency. On the video you can see 2 different students wearing identical tops, one had sleeves photo-shopped in, the other was published sleeveless. Why?

There are many, much more serious, stories in the news, but I think the unhappy, re-dressed students are due an apology & a refund for their yearbooks.

It appears the school doesn't want what is reality every day memorialized in their yearbooks. If the one girl with the white bra straps under a dark spaghetti strap top doesn't mind that as her yearbook photo, why should the school be embarrassed? And one girl whose hair was darkened and straightened should be the most upset over this. It totally changed her appearance and her hair in the untouched photo wasn't that bad. In fact all of them sitting around the yearbook look as if they've been altering their natural hair color...on their own.

:waitasec:

Does Utah have a problem with its best and brightest young people fleeing the state at the first available opportunity?

If so, this is why.

Did they photoshop anything offensive on the males, such as bad skin or greasy hair? Thick glasses?

If not why not, as I find THOSE offensive...?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back