Family stranded after child draws on passport

LinasK

Verified insider- Mark Dribin case
Reaction score
Posted: 2:50 p.m. Saturday, May 31, 2014
By Cox Media Group National Content Desk
It’s no secret that traveling with small children can be a nightmare. But stories of airplane temper tantrums pale in comparison to what one Chinese family is experiencing. According to the New York Daily News, the parent’s son took a black marker and used his father’s passport as a canvas while they were visitng South Korea.
The child drew an interesting assortment of doodles, including landscapes, flowers, animals and faces. He enhanced his dad’s passport photo by adding a beard, coloring his eyes and giving the hair a lion’s mane. The image of the defaced passport has gone viral on the Chinese social media site weibo.com.
While it may seem like a harmless childhood incident, authorities in South Korea are not so amused. The father was asking for help from the public because he had reportedly been told he might not be able to fly back to China with his family due to his altered passport. more at link: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/fami...nt_internallink_relatedcontent_2014_partners4

I know this isn't funny for the family involved but... :floorlaugh:

Attachments

• altered passport.jpg
    altered passport.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 101
Well, hopefully they can work this out. This would CERTAINLY be a good ruse for a terrorist to use - oh look, how terrible, my little kid has blacked out all the information on my passport.

You can't allow an adult to fly with a passport where the information has been blotted out.

So who lets their kid play with their passport? Uh, no one.

And who asks for help from the public after they let their kid trash their passport. Uh, no one.

And who asks for help from the public after they let their kid trash their passport. Uh, no one.

Maybe there is something sinister about this altered passport, but I'm going to err on the side of humor... at least for the moment.

Imperfect people...of which I am one. At least I was only fallible wrt a birth certificate and not a passport. And I didn't LET my son draw on his sister's birth certificate. I didn't even realize what he was drawing on until it was too late. I think I subconsciously assumed that he knew it was an important document. Plus, they were travelling, so the passport would have had to be more accessible than usual.

jmo

Lucky they were not visiting N Korea ...

Maybe there is something sinister about this altered passport, but I'm going err on the side of humor... at least for the moment.

I totally agree with you - this is humorous. On the other hand, it's up to security to not take a passport that has marks through all the information.

I totally agree with you - this is humorous. On the other hand, it's up to security to not take a passport that has marks through all the information.

Well, yeah. But on the other hand, there are thousands of totally bogus passports accepted daily that don't have childish doodles on them and no one looks past the document. Hopefully, they'll take the time to verify the dad's identity some other way and let him travel. If only they'd take the time and effort to do that in cases of actual terrorists with bogus passports. They don't need to resort to the "my kid drew on it" explanation.
jmo

I think either the kid is quite ahead of his age in artistic talent or it was an adult trying to draw like a child to deface that passport. Good for the authorities to question it. I would not have accepted it as official documentation.

Looking at the photo, it looks apparent that the father did some defacing and then handed it to the child and told him to draw all over it. Some of the drawings are very very classic 4 year old art efforts - but the defaced photographs and the complete obliteration of the line at the bottom of the page look like the work of an adult.

It seems like you can see most of the info, even where it is heavily scribbled over. I'm thinking this is the work of a 4 year old, but then again criminals do the dumbest things. I would just think it would be more blacked out of done on purpose. With that said, I'm off to magic eraser green crayon from my window from my 16 month old lol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back