GUILTY MO - Brandon Ellingson, 20, falls off police boat & drowns, Versailles, 31 May 2014

Yoda

Master
Reaction score
I'm saddened and stumped about the life vest coming off.....
UNLESS the vest was put on AFTER the handcuffs ....
and that would mean the vest was
put on improperly.

RIP young man.

It is illegal to transport an arrestee or an inmate over a body of water in handcuffs or shackles in the state of Louisiana.

There is a ferry in south Louisiana near Angola State Prison we used to use. A law was passed that you could not do that any longer unless the inmate was out of handcuffs and shackles. DOC rules are that no inmate will be transported without cuffs and shackles, so there you go.

It is the same with LE river patrols in my state. Should the boat (or ferry) were to sink, the arrestee or inmate would not be able to save themselves. I agree with that law. This incident did not have to happen. No one had to die.

MOO

kz, i hadn't thought of that type of life jacket, it looks as if you were correct: Ellingson was handcuffed behind his back, officials said. Reinsch said the trooper placed a standard "Level 3" life jacket – the type that resembles a vest and buckles three times in the front – on Ellingson. It came off in the water.

"That is a big part of our investigation," Reinsch said. "To determine how it came off after it was placed on him."

The officer jumped into the water and made several attempts to save Ellingson but couldn't reach him, Reinsch said.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/clive/2014/06/01/clive-missing-ozarks/9841321/

kz, i hadn't thought of that type of life jacket, it looks as if you were correct: Ellingson was handcuffed behind his back, officials said. Reinsch said the trooper placed a standard "Level 3" life jacket – the type that resembles a vest and buckles three times in the front – on Ellingson. It came off in the water.

"That is a big part of our investigation," Reinsch said. "To determine how it came off after it was placed on him."

The officer jumped into the water and made several attempts to save Ellingson but couldn't reach him, Reinsch said.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/clive/2014/06/01/clive-missing-ozarks/9841321/
Soooooo the deceased was handcuffed with cuffs behind him and what? The vest was slipped around him? If so, shame on that cop...I hope the young mans family does sue!

Soooooo the deceased was handcuffed with cuffs behind him and what? The vest was slipped around him? If so, shame on that cop...I hope the young mans family does sue!

Shame on the cop? Seriously? Sue on what grounds? The kid was intoxicated, under age and he may have jumped overboard. It was unfortunate but getting drunk on the water is extremely dangerous.

JMO

Shame on the cop? Seriously? Sue on what grounds? The kid was intoxicated, under age and he may have jumped overboard. It was unfortunate but getting drunk on the water is extremely dangerous.

JMO

<modsnip> I don't get it? Maybe the kids parents should be sued?

However, it does have to be investigated. I do have questions, but the LAST thing that crossed my mind was "sue."

JMO

If this was your son and you found out he was handcuffed and NOT PROPERLY LIFE VESTED would you sit back and accept it?

Make a mental picture....
A person handcuffed ...with hands behind their back....
And a life vest merely put around them ...

AND NOT WITH THE PERSONS ARMS THROUGH THE LIFE VEST.... with the life vest just wrapped around them and snapped.

It's called negligence.

If this was your son and you found out he was handcuffed and NOT PROPERLY LIFE VESTED would you sit back and accept it?

AND NOT WITH THE PERSONS ARMS THROUGH THE LIFE VEST.... with the life vest just wrapped around them and snapped.

It's called negligence.

Exactly. Think of it this way - a driver is arrested for DUI and put in the back of a police cruiser. The officer then drives recklessly through a red light, where the cruiser is struck and the arrested person killed. Because the arrested person was in custody of the police, it was their responsibility to watch over that person and not endanger their life. It's the same circumstance here, where officers had a duty to make sure the arrested person did not go overboard and drown.

I am so tired of the sue mentality also? I don't get it? Maybe the kids parents should be sued?

However, it does have to be investigated. I do have questions, but the LAST thing that crossed my mind was "sue."

Seems naive given the litigious society in which we live. I'm not a big fan of lawsuits, but this situation
seems to scream for one. With the lawsuit will come an investigation by those outside of the police department. If it lacks merit, hopefully the jury will decide for the defendant. If it does, important changes in policy will result.

It is illegal to transport an arrestee or an inmate over a body of water in handcuffs or shackles in the state of Louisiana.

There is a ferry in south Louisiana near Angola State Prison we used to use. A law was passed that you could not do that any longer unless the inmate was out of handcuffs and shackles. DOC rules are that no inmate will be transported without cuffs and shackles, so there you go.

It is the same with LE river patrols in my state. Should the boat (or ferry) were to sink, the arrestee or inmate would not be able to save themselves. I agree with that law. This incident did not have to happen. No one had to die.

MOO

Reposting as it seems like a few may have missed it. Thanks for the local info LL!

BBM
Reposting as it seems like a few may have missed it. Thanks for the local info LL!

IIUC, AzPistonsGirl posted info re Louisiana law.

MO Highway Patrol arrested Iowa man operating boat on Missouri Lake.

Seems like MO law applies, not LA law.

JM2cts.:seeya:

It's called negligence.

No, it is not negligence. Did you miss the part about the cop risking his own life trying to save the drunk? The life vest did not kill the guy, the fall or jump into the water killed him. He wouldn't have been in handcuffs if he had not broken the law.

My first reaction as a parent would not be to sue. I'd be more upset that my son did something so obviously reckless and stupid and lost his life.

Underage drinking and water have been a known recipe for disaster forever.

JMO

The cop tried to save the young man's life because he--the cop--eff'd up.

The cop tried to save the young man's life because he--the cop--eff'd up.

Blaming the cop is a waste of time. The cop didn't push the guy out of the boat. Didn't force him to stand up. Didn't force him to break the law and get himself arrested in the first place.

JMO

BS, it is not a waste of time.The cop did not put the life vest on correctly and the man drowned.
The cop is responsible for the victim's death.

BS, it is not a waste of time.The cop did not put the life vest on correctly and the man drowned.
The cop is responsible for the victim's death.

The man drowned because he stood up and exited the boat. Good luck blaming the cops for that one...

JMO

At some point Ellingson stood up, then went overboard. The report said Ellingson either jumped or fell into the water.

Bascue said. The boat "slowed down pretty quick. I saw somebody in a life jacket to the side. The boat was turning to get into position to help. I didn't have clue what was going on.

"I got closer and realized (the trooper) was trying to help the guy, get him out of the water. I saw the life jacket and person separate in the water."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/03/handcuffed-iowa-man-drowns/9899475/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back